Prescient

Buying 2 or 3 of the same kit OCD; is it just me?

Is it just me, or does anyone else suffer with the compulsion to buy at least 2 of the same kit when you want a runner, enabling one to be kept MIB?

I like keeping stuff new in boxes, it's an issue. Heck it took me a year to take the cellophane off my TV bevel this week. 

• Like 3

It's just you......

I'm a little different in the fact I'll buy one kit and keep it mib but also have multiple cars on the same chassis but usually don't buy multiple if the same kit

I totally get the OCD multiple kits thing (not that I can afford it!), and also have the same feeling when I think I want to hop up a car, I should have another, un-modded, as god intended it to be (or Mr.Tamiya intended it to be, same thing...)

... but cellophane on the TV bezel..... why, man?? ;) A mate of mine used to keep the cellophane on his HiFi remote control, which after a few months of use would start to peel off randomly. The thing looked worse than if he'd taken it off and it might have got a little scratch. Couldn't figure that one out ever. It bugged me for ages.... so I just ripped it off for him one day. The look on his face...

Have also read about OCD and trainers (sneakers).... weird, but sort of understandable.

If you think buying 2-3 of the same kit is an OCD them your in the right place for it ..think a therapist might think otherwise .

Always try and buy 2 or more of the same kits if they are a popular kit.

What is the saying if 1 is good then 2 or 3 are even better .

Don't over think it ..just buy buy buy .

Can never have too much of a good thing :)

I'll admit I have seen shades, just shades of this crop up with me, Misses bought me a lunchbox. Originally I wanted to do my own paint, give it black bumpers, yadda yadda. But then I asked my misses what colour she thought and she said she liked the box. As she bought it that was it, I had to go box art (first time for everything) as wouldn't seem right really. I thought about buying another to have my wicked way with and then I told myself to wise up and just crack on as it's only a model car ha. It'll prob just end up modded over time anyway. I spend too much on these things as it is without buying 2 of them ha

I don't have a problem with taking things out of boxes but I'm a boxist. I keep boxes for things I like or have cost me. It's a right pain, they just end up in the cardboard tip eventually. Problem is I really really like the Tamiya boxes. And they're big! And empty! Well, apart from the manuals and some leftovers, I don't want to bin them but if I get more cars this will be a problem. I think I'll keep 2 special ones and bin the rest.

cellophane on remotes, nah just ends up looking tatty. Free yourself!

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else suffer with the compulsion to buy at least 2 of the same kit when you want a runner, enabling one to be kept MIB?

do you mean first off when kit is first released? Or a few over the course of its shelflife... :huh:

Ain't rare for fans to preorder 2-3 if it's something they're planning to vintage-race.

If you think that's bad, there's some that will buy IN MULTIPLES TO FILL THE SHIPPING CARTON :o some big kits come 2, others come 4 or 6... and they want to keep them in the matching outer shipping carton too.

I'm guilty of it for sure. If the kit is special to me or its presentation is nice, I keep a NIB one on hand. The Lunch Box and Monster Beetle are quite near and dear to my heart. The Egress box layout is simply beautiful in my eyes. Of course, then you need couple SRBs NIB too. Then you need shelfers, Then you need stock runners. Then you need modded runners. Then you need...you get the picture. I'm just glad I'm not alone here.

• Like 1

This is a difficult subject. It straddles the line between collecting and mental illness depending on the person. I'm not saying that anyone who buys multiple kits has issues, but some do. I personally buy more than one kit once in a blue moon, for instance, I was very happy that I bought 2 Avante BS kits. That was the last time I bought more than 1 kit. Previos to that, 2 EXO Terras. The 2nd BS was recently sold, allowing me to buy 4 quadcopter frames and all the electronics. Worked out well even though when I bought them, I had no clue they would appreciate so much so quickly. I figured I'd sell one while the prices were crazy before Tamiya re-released it lol.

Your not alone Saito we all have issues :/

Its an god awful addiction ...well not awful. but certainly an addiction ,could be worse things to be addicted to .

If it feels right then do it ..its my moto ,only on this crazy merry-go-round once might as well enjoy it  !

• Like 2

If I had the money to spend on 2 - 3 of the same kit, I would - but it depends on the kit. I maintain that 2 - 3 Bruisers, for example, would be excessive...

However, I would buy 2 - 3 of, say, the Honda City Turbo, because they are simple yet still inspire a lot of creativity - enough to finish 2 - 3 bodyshells, plus a healthy stock of spares for 1 - 2 runners.

Looking for 2 - 3 of any kit would usually be a practice of mine for those I plan to run, so I do understand the need to acquire one in those numbers.

• Like 1

I don't plan to buy more than one, with 2 exceptions.

The Boomerang, my first proper rc car and I would like to race them in vintage class. I actually need a few of these as my son insists on one too, which is my second reason. My son wants what I have, so despite having a TT02B of his own has insisted on a Boomerang too. He won'tget the racecars yet, but generally I will buy him a more basic kit if I get one.

8 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

.. but cellophane on the TV bezel..... why, man?? ;) A mate of mine used to keep the cellophane on his HiFi remote control, which after a few months of use would start to peel off randomly.

I kept the TV and cellophane mint though to be fair, it didn't look tatty. 

As for the kits, I am glad it is not just me @Saito2. So there is definitely something behind the reasoning of needing to keep a boxed one, display one and runner etc.  

• Like 2

I wish I could have the addiction of buying more than one kit but a few things which stops that first is the wife! if I rocked up with multiple kits I think I'd be less than popular, then it's money I don't use credit cards for my hobby I save so to save for two the same I think I'd sooner buy two different ones and last of all somewhere to put them at the moment my kids ( not actually kids anymore!) Are still living at home I can't speak for other countries but in the UK our younger generation have absolutely no chance of ever having the chance of owning there property and renting a flat/house is getting just as expensive so what would become a hobby room in my house unfortunately is still a bedroom!:unsure: so at the moment it's definitely one model at a time and that ONE comes with a lot of consideration:rolleyes:!

I have never bought 2 kits at a time...if i did, my wife would ensure that I would be singing soprano!

But my ultimate plan is to have at least 2 of all my cars, so I have a good source of spares readily available.

(just don't tell the Wife!)

• Like 2

I would like 2 of the same kit, but not to keep one NIB, I would want one for a runner that can get war wounds, and one in pristine condition to sit on the shelf, while the runner sits hidden away in a box lol.

I think Tamiya have been so successful is because they have sooo much cross parts use, I now own a DT02 because of the sharability with my DT03 (and a DT01 is inbound), I just bought a used Hornet, and now I'm looking at getting a new GH2 on rerelease because I've now got some familiarity with the layout and the chance of some parts cross compatibility etc... without this I wouldn't be hoarding so much Tamiya stuff :( Tamiya are the biggest crack dealers ever!

But no, I would never buy two of the same kits in one go, I'd space it out a bit ;p

• Like 3

I've never bought two kits at the same time, except just now with the BigWig ;) and I'm actually steel reeling from that one a bit. I read somewhere they would be a limited release so planning to put one up. I do have some multiple kits but over a period of time for various reasons. I overdid RC last year in a big way so I'm on a self imposed cold turkey at the moment, it was only the BigWig that brought me back out but I'm still not engaged although I have done a bit of tinkering on the Mountain Rider this month.

My Dad tells me of an amusing story of my Granddad, who kept the rear seat covers on his car from new. My Dad and his younger brother had to sit on these horrible plastic squeaky, slippery seat covers for years and they hated it. When my Granddad sold the car, the new owner came to collect, poked his head in the rear of the car and went, "oh wow" and ripped the covers straight off exposing brand new seats underneath for him to enjoy lol. My Dad said his and his brothers face was quite a picture!

• Like 1

I will say that if I can buy only one kit of something and intend on running it, I have a backup plan. I looked at my childhood Tamiya vehicles and noticed a common theme: body, tires and wheels. I bought only one Fox re-re, but had to drive it. I bought a spare body, tires and wheels. These things take the most wear/abuse. When it comes time to retire the model to the shelf years down the road, these three items really make it look sharp again. It also helps with the anxiety-factor when running (and the inevitable roll overs, bumps, etc.) so things can be a bit more relaxed.

• Like 2

Usually the only time I buy multiples of a vehicle is if I want to try some crazy ideas with it, but still have one in its original form in case I fail, or if I want to restore something and need 2 or 3 junkers to make one good car (though this usually yields me an ugly-but-functional runner as well).

The next purchase I want to make is to get on the MF-01X bandwagon, and I'll probably buy two of those. They're cheap enough, and they look like a fantastic opportunity to try some weird ideas.

I've heard members on here buying 3 kits of the same model. A runner, one for the shelf and one to keep in kit form in the box. It's not something I'd do but I understand they want to enjoy their kits in all its different phases. The newly bought kit, unassembled in its box. The kit built and finished in box art livery and sat on display, on the shelf to stay looking amazing forever. And the final stage of a running version without worrying about it getting damaged. It's the enjoyment we all get from buying a single kit but in their case each stage of enjoyment lasts forever. I think if you've got the space and the money and need to do it go for it. :)

But regarding the cellophane on your tv bevel and not removing it, well that is crazy! (Joking ;)). I remove any and all protective plastic from any item I buy. If I notice it on a friends I'll pull it off too. That plastic protection can begin to look terrible if it's on something like a microwave interface that's touched all the time. I've seen people do the sme thing with sofas. They buy a beatiful sofa finshed in a beautiful leather or whatever finish they decided yet for the years thay own it they sit on the protective plastic. They might as well get a second hand one then shrink wrap it. I've never understood that.

Just watch the tv show hoarders. When you start collecting your own urine and faeces in bottles and bags and you've got so much stuff packed in your house that you bang your head on the ceiling crawling on all fours that's when you've got a problem. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

I will say that if I can buy only one kit of something and intend on running it, I have a backup plan. I looked at my childhood Tamiya vehicles and noticed a common theme: body, tires and wheels. I bought only one Fox re-re, but had to drive it. I bought a spare body, tires and wheels. These things take the most wear/abuse. When it comes time to retire the model to the shelf years down the road, these three items really make it look sharp again. It also helps with the anxiety-factor when running (and the inevitable roll overs, bumps, etc.) so things can be a bit more relaxed.

That's very sensible and probably what I'll do. I have three cars about to be built but I know I'm going to be really scared running them... dirt, scratches, broken bits etc.  This is a good middle ground. 

I've done this with my most recent build which was a lunchbox. I got a spare shell, wheels and tyres and did my own design. The boxart shell is untouched as are the original wheels and tyres so it will look great on the shelf.

• Like 2

I am also buying the GH2 re re when it gets here (already ordered it!), but I already have 1 and a half "old" GH2 s, so they will be my backups for the re re in future. 

But who knows, I may buy another later in the year!  (unless the Super Hornet gets re re'd)

• Like 1

Well, I just managed to order another new TXT-2 from Tamico to satisfy this OCD.

Especially as they are running out now, down to the last 5 and only the odd one dotted around in stock elsewhere which can be sent to the UK.

Oh....That's another one, having to order an extra kit before stock runs out just because :/

How deep does this issue go.

It's not a bad idea really just for parts.   That way if you need something for your runner, you have considerably less downtime.   

That said I own two non-identical TA05s.   One is shortened with different arms and spacers for 239mm wheelbase and the other is a standard IFS version (for now!).

I have a trio of 3Racing FGX chassis.  Two are runners, one is going to be modded to fit the Jaguar XJR-15 body I acquired a couple years ago.   I also have many many parts that came with the FGX lot I bought from an RCTech member.

I considered buying a second Cup Racer, because like the FGX, it is out of production.   Now with the M.Rage and Xpress M1 in existence, it's not a concern.   Also I bought an A201SS (aka Ofna JL12e) which the HPI Stratos shell easily fits.

12 minutes ago, Prescient said:

Well, I just managed to order another new TXT-2 from Tamico to satisfy this OCD.

Especially as they are running out now, down to the last 5 and only the odd one dotted around in stock elsewhere which can be sent to the UK.

I see quite a lot of people mention Tamico. I never knew about them, . What is it that's good, is it being able to source kits that are hard to find like the txt? The prices seem quite decent too. The clod is 250 sterling when converted, but presume there's import duty on that?

whilst comparing noticed the same super clod kit is now 270-275 with the uk main sellers. I paid 224 only a couple of months ago :huh: that's some price hikes!