Prescient

Buying 2 or 3 of the same kit OCD; is it just me?

Tamico are great, one of Europe's premier Tamiya dealers and based in Germany. No duty payable in the EU. Fast shipping (2-4 days to UK), solid packaging and the kits arrive shrink wrapped and are usually pristine boxes. 

Great stock of parts too.

Prices can vary but can be significantly cheaper than the UK, equally on some kits they are more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Palfertronic said:

I am also buying the GH2 re re when it gets here (already ordered it!), but I already have 1 and a half "old" GH2 s, so they will be my backups for the re re in future. 

But who knows, I may buy another later in the year!  (unless the Super Hornet gets re re'd)

Where did you order from, how much and when's it's due... q q q :)

Six of the same plus six additional bodies:

911-gt2-all.jpg

I've since sold four of the NIB kits leaving me with one NIB and one built, but bought more bodies!

• Like 3

I have to admit to being an r/c 'prepper'. It is a spares thing for me. I will try to get at least three of the same kit and then buy a load of the most regularly broken parts as well. 

For me, I think it comes from when I used to race. There is no worse feeling than having your day ended prematurely by not having the right spare part. So, I now make sure I have at least three of everything. As mentioned earlier, it takes some of the worry out of giving the cars a good run.

• Like 1

I can see why some people do this. If I had the money I would like the vintage stuff for display purposes and re-re for driving. I have a GH (well my 6 year old son does) & Hornet re-re. I also have a Hotshot 2 which I'm refurbishing. I really want to run it but it looks unused. I may keep it until they do a re-re.. if ever.

I just bought 3 Neo Fighter buggy's for my 3 other boys for Christmas - £65 quid each still sealed, I couldn't say no. Easy presents for me. 2 came from Germany. I've just bought some hotshot parts from Tamico as well!

On 2/20/2017 at 6:31 PM, Prescient said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else suffer with the compulsion to buy at least 2 of the same kit when you want a runner, enabling one to be kept MIB?

I like keeping stuff new in boxes, it's an issue. Heck it took me a year to take the cellophane off my TV bevel this week. 

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  The amazing thing is I can rationalize just about anything, even something that should be considered a real stretch.  I've bought multiples in the name of spare parts, building one 'pure' and one 'custom,' collecting all in a chassis series, deferring until I develop more skill or until retirement (when the kit is surely discontinued), and even irrational infatuation with a certain model or two.  Certain discontinued/closeout specials have called to me as well.

I don't think buying multiple's of the same kit is an issue. Especially if it's a kit with and ABS Hardbody. I've learned my lesson over the years by missing out on a number of models that I wish I had bought but just kept putting them off until they were no longer available. The last straw for me was missing the Jun Watanabe Hornet. I wanted a one f these but never bought it and then suddenly they were discontinued and going to $400 on eBay. Since then I've learned to pick up a few of kits that i'm interested in and just set them aside until I decide what I want to do with them. 

Look at it this way. As long as you're not putting yourself or you family in financial risk and you have a good safe place to store them without driving the family crazy then buy as many as you like. You will never lose money on a new in box kit so go for it. Looking at some of the cars I've picked up in just the past 4 yrs, some have almost double din value. After AE cut the re-release of the RC10 short I was in a hobby shop that had 5 of them on the shelf. I made a deal for all 5 and walked out the door. Last year I decided that having 5 of them was over kill and sold off 2 of them for double the original purchase price.

Now talking mental illness.  I suffer from when it comes to the Grasshopper/hornet chassis cars. I just can't let a decent one pass me..... It's an illness :)

• Like 2

Ah, the hard body dilemma. Once (if) the monster beetle, blitzer beetle and sand scorcher cease production and those body shells sell out they will be changing hands for some serious £££

Tell you what, I will be buying 2-3 extra Nova Foxes this time round.

But its not about making money on kits for me, its just having them. Something about opening a case fresh kit and the nostalgic smell of the plastic and rubber pin spike monster tyres. 

• Like 1

I personally would always buy 3 of the same if only I could afford it, I now own 12 kits of which I've bought enough spares to duplicate only one of those and this is the reason I give myself for keeping them all nib. 

What I really can't explain is why I own at least one spare body shell, new wheels, tyres, decals, spares, hop ups, for almost all ..... which are all nip. I really feel I have a problem, but I like that !

chris

On 2/21/2017 at 5:31 PM, Truck Norris said:

Six of the same plus six additional bodies:

911-gt2-all.jpg

I've since sold four of the NIB kits leaving me with one NIB and one built, but bought more bodies!

I totally slept on the black parts edition of that body.  Could have had it for twenty bucks domestically shipped once!   That said I wasn't in love with my M06L project at the time.

Forgot to mention I own four Lancia 037 shells in various states.   One day I'll actually paint one and use it.

Oh and a trio of 911 GT1s.

Well, these last few posts have just made me crack open one of my midnight pumpkin black editions.

Currently sitting here savouring the smell of the untouched parts. Maybe Tamiya puts something in the rubber. It's like catnip for collectors and is lost too quickly if left to air for too long or once built. Its definitely more pronounced on the truck kits too. 

IMG_20170224_180841051-1336x752.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/24/2017 at 6:12 PM, Prescient said:

Currently sitting here savouring the smell of the untouched parts. Maybe Tamiya puts something in the rubber. It's like catnip for collectors and is lost too quickly if left to air for too long or once built. Its definitely more pronounced on the truck kits too. 

Right, i'm quoting myself here as on to something.

I have just opened my new (sealed) Tamico TXT-2 kit and there is no smell at all. Nothing, especially compared to the Midnight Pumpkin above. I feel let down :/

I bought two of the 40th anniversary TA02SW Porsche 934's, and those kits aren't cheap....

I bought a TT02 Type-S and by the time I bought all the hop up parts, all that was missing was a steering servo and receiver to make a second kit.

6 hours ago, Quailane said:

I bought two of the 40th anniversary TA02SW Porsche 934's, and those kits aren't cheap....

A pair of 40ths still cheaper than 1 of the 30ths :P:lol: