Sign in to follow this  
njmlondon

Box sizes - Avante 2011 and Fighting buggy

Random question for you all...

I like to store the boxes for my favorite builds in watertight plastic boxes. I have an Avante on the way to me and am searching for a Fighting Buggy, and wanted to check that the boxes I have in at the moment will hold them.

If anybody knows the dimensions in cm (height, depth, width) for these two boxes, could you please let me know. 

Thanks

My workshop / shed did nearly get swept away in a storm last year but I am happily about 700 foot above sea level! I should change my name anyway to njmsurrey - moved out of London a long time ago now.

I have a Black Special box, which I might guess has the same dimensions as the Avante 2011 box given the similarity between the two kits. Guessing that the Fighting Buggy box is the same size as the Buggy Champ box might be a stretch, but are those kits different enough to merit differing box dimensions?

I speculate because I disguised my then-new Black Special as my Buggy Champ, and it worked because those boxes were identical to each other... Those measurements are 575 mm x 375 mm x 150 mm.

I did have to laugh at Theibault's comment :D

Edit: Amazon.com quotes the size of the Fighting Buggy box as 14.8 x 6 x 22.8 in., which is roughly the same (about 379 mm x 152 mm x 579 mm, using 1 in. = 25.4 mm). Interestingly, I must be wrong because they quote the Avante 2011 box as 16.5 x 9.4 x 4.5 in. (or 419 mm x 239 mm x 114 mm), so the size difference between the two boxes must be substantial. I was thinking that the 2011 and the Black Special would be packaged similarly to each other...

• Like 1

Thanks Grastens. My Lancia Rally box and Scorcher box both fit in nicely so the Avante should too. I am surprised the Black special is different. They look the same when opened up side by side.

Just took these measurements myself of one of my Avante 2011 boxes - 575 x 373 x 151 (mm). 

Out of interest, what are the watertight boxes you use?

Thanks for the measurements. I picked up my Avante BS this weekend and droped it straight into the box I have. Fits like a glove. I did not bother measuring it though but will do that tonight.

These are the boxes I have - Really Useful 33L Box

I was lucky enough to pick a few of them up from a local office that was closing down. They had loads of packaging material and storage boxes that they had bought but never used and they were selling them for pennies. 

As an aside, the 12 litre box is the perfect dimension for an ORV or SRB chassis.

I am a bit OCD and want to ensure I keep both my really vintage boxes (such as my 30+ year old Lancia Rally) and the real classics (Avante BS) in as perfect condition as possible. 

• Like 2

I might need to get some of these, I seem to be building up quite a few nib's now that won't be built for ages. Thanks for confirming the sizes.

Am I right in thinking the Avante 2011 box will be ever so slightly too big for the Really Useful box though? Internal is 610 x 370 x 145, whereas the Avante box is 575 x 373 x 151..

16 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Am I right in thinking the Avante 2011 box will be ever so slightly too big for the Really Useful box though? Internal is 610 x 370 x 145, whereas the Avante box is 575 x 373 x 151..

Let me get my tape measure out tonight.

The Avante BS is apparently  575 mm x 375 mm x 150 mm according to Grastens above and it fits perfectly but with nothing to spare on the width / height measurements.

If the Avante regular is 575 x 373 x 151 then it may be 1cm too high but is 2cm less wide. My Avante is in at my office so I will measure it today if I get the chance. 

The same company makes other boxes with the same footprint but greater height such as the 50 litre one which apparently has an internal size of 610 x 370 x 200.

I will get some photos tonight for all you fellow OCDers.

• Like 1

Oh, those look perfect for the job! The first box I've seen that isn't way too high or wide, or both. To top it all off it also looks like it's possible to get hold of them here in the arctic. 

OK here we go...

Photos of the Avante BS in a 33 litre box. Snug but perfect fit for both depth and height, a couple of cm extra length available.IMG_3629.JPGIMG_3628.JPG

And if you are interested, I use the 12 litre boxes for most of my cars.

Here are the SRB and ORV chassis and here is a Lancia 037 body all in 12 litres.You can easily fit in most touring car chassis too but be aware height can be a limiting factor and you may end up either having to take the wheels off (not such a bad thing to stop flat-spots on your tires).

IMG_3636.JPGIMG_3640.JPG

I quite like the OCD of all this...

Just to take the OCD a little further, do you think you would be able to fit bubble wrap around the Avante BS box too, and still fit it in the plastic box? I have a number of NIB kits and since most of them came from either Seidel or Stella they have been left in their original shipping boxes as they're so well protected, but I like the idea of airtight boxes since I can see most of the kits staying NIB long term.

This is all a bit weird to the outside world, but at least we can come here and share our addictions :-)

5 hours ago, njmlondon said:

OK here we go...

Photos of the Avante BS in a 33 litre box. Snug but perfect fit for both depth and height, a couple of cm extra length available.IMG_3629.JPG

Are the inserts in the boxes at the back part of those box sets, or something you made yourself?

I did try this idea when I first started getting a few cars, but I couldn't settle on a box size, and I wanted to keep the bodies with chassis. Seeing all this, I might revisit that :)

2 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Just to take the OCD a little further, do you think you would be able to fit bubble wrap around the Avante BS box too, and still fit it in the plastic box? I have a number of NIB kits and since most of them came from either Seidel or Stella they have been left in their original shipping boxes as they're so well protected, but I like the idea of airtight boxes since I can see most of the kits staying NIB long term.

This is all a bit weird to the outside world, but at least we can come here and share our addictions :-)

My wife thinks I am nuts but most of all gets cross that I don't display any of this OCD inside the house. 

I don't think you could get bubble wrap around it. You could get the deeper boxes and put bubble wrap on the top and bottom.

they also do a bigger box (70 litre I think) which has my Mountain Rider in it. There is loads of extra space in that.

11 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Are the inserts in the boxes at the back part of those box sets, or something you made yourself?

I did try this idea when I first started getting a few cars, but I couldn't settle on a box size, and I wanted to keep the bodies with chassis. Seeing all this, I might revisit that :)

The boxes in the background are all 9 litre boxes. There are several different types of insert you can get for them. They are the same footprint as the 4 litre boxes too so you can use the same separators in either.

My workshop is a garden shed which I managed to take over, insulate and make all lovely... then the family started to use it to store all sorts of dross in it so I felt I needed to get on top of all my tools, electrics, spares etc. I will take some photos if you want tonight.