Sign in to follow this  
iluvmud

Difference between top force and rere top force (not 2017 model)

Hi, I was curious and haven't really found anything on the differences between the original and rere top force... is there a difference?

thanks in advance,

MUD

I believe it was identical, same as the very early re re's like the Dyna Storm which the only difference was the motor, happy to be proven wrong though

A significant difference is that the original came with hex-chrome plated hardware (the "gold" screws, nuts etc.). 

The process of hex-chrome plating is highly toxic (final product is considered safe!), so the change to different types of plating was enforced by law, though not at the same time worldwide. I don't know exactly when Tamiya changed, but I was in the 2.2 Ecotec integration team at Fiat-GM Powertrain from 2000 to 2005, and we phased out hex-chrome around 2001-2002 in time for the EU ban in 2003, so I reckon Tamiya did it no earlier than 1995 and no later than approximately 2000.  Anyway, the original definitely had hex-chrome, the re-re definitely not.

• Like 2

Can someone post what hex chrome hardware looks like versus the rere then?  I think I have an original but not sure for comparison? Is it the slightly gold colored tone to the screws?

20190103_170538 - Edited.jpg

20190103_170525 - Edited.jpg

20190103_170547.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:14 AM, RCvet said:

Can someone post what hex chrome hardware looks like versus the rere then?  I think I have an original but not sure for comparison? Is it the slightly gold colored tone to the screws?

20190103_170538 - Edited.jpg

20190103_170525 - Edited.jpg

20190103_170547.jpg

You´re right, it are the gold colored looking screws. I work in automotive Industry, and we also had to revise our processes to the new Standards, so our screw coatings look also silver now, while Looking gold before.

Nice model by the way, and the first with aeration dampers it seems! :lol:

Far as I can tell this is an original. I like the hicaps on it, seems rare Tamiya green ball adjuster ends 49545 (would love to have some more), turnbuckles from period, one way torque splitter and Dynatech motor.

20190103_162457.jpg

20190103_162233.jpg

• Like 3

I have just purchased my first Top Force, but confusingly it has a 2005 re-re box and a 1991 manual. Any idea's which it is?

small 1.jpg

small 2.jpg