Sign in to follow this  
AkihabaraMallrat(2)

New Cars at All Japan Hobby Show

Nice pics, did you actually went there yourself? icon_smile_shock.gif

As for the TT: I saw someone offering a used Tamiya Audi TT (no pic icon_smile_sad.gif ) before it was revealed they will ever be released! It was one a Dutch ad-site, very strange... icon_smile.gif Though on these pictures they look really cool, I hear they will be on the TA04-SS chassis. icon_smile_big.gif

Theo, is there really such thing as a Tamiya museum? That would be cool icon_smile_cool.gif Maybe I should start one myself, only need some members to 'contribute' icon_smile_evil.gif LOL icon_smile_big.gif

Visit my site @ www.tamiya.tk !

There most definately is a Tamiya museum!! On site at their factory.

In a recent discussion with a mate of mine who won the Tamiya cup last year here in Australia - he was telling me about the museum.

Tamiya have one of EVERY single R/C car they have made. That is impressive, I said to my mate - he then went on to describe that the museum then opens into a HUGE area that displays one of EVERY SINGLE STATIC KIT EVER PRODUCED !!!!!!! Most of these have in fact a NIB kit, a built kit - and the ORIGINAL pre production mock up !! NOW THAT IS AMAZING !!

He has video of this - cant wait to get together and have a look at it .........

On the pics - that modified F201 chassis certainly looks sweet !!

Cheers

Darryn

Want more than Just Tamiya ??

webpagelink.JPG

Visit my page !!

quote:

As for the TT: I saw someone offering a used Tamiya Audi TT (no pic
icon_smile_sad.gif
) before it was revealed they will ever be released! It was one a Dutch ad-site, very strange...

id=quote>id=quote>

I think there was a kit that had a Audi TT body set made by Carson. I like the Tamiya Red Bull version ....

quote:

Great photos, ever made some in the Tamiya museum?

tttlogo.gif

id=quote>id=quote>

Unfortunately not yet. I was going to go during their open house a few months back but time did not allow it. Im sure ill get there sometime before the middle of next year.

Exciting show. Both I and Spice went. Other manufacturers were there too of course, including Hirobo with a US$3600 beast of a Bell Helicopter but Tamiya really outdid themselves with their lineup

Great pictures, bet the show was fantastic, would love to go one day.

A little disapointed though , i haven't got my TB evo II done and they are releasing a III icon_smile_shock.gificon_smile_sad.gificon_smile_big.gif

The new Terra Crusher AKA Wild Commando is on my wish list.....

Darryn, any chance of making the film downloadable?, seeing all that would be $&^%(*%$#@$%, words just can't express icon_smile_wink.gificon_smile_big.gif

Is this Tamiya museum open to the public? If so i need the address

icon_smile_tongue.gif, looks like my next holiday has been decided !icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif

quote:

Now that we mentioned it, I remember that there existed a video of someones visit to the museum, Willy was going to rip it on CDs, what happened???
icon_smile_angry.gif

id=quote>id=quote>

I hear you!! icon_smile_sad.gif Still in progress.

Its in the queue EVEN AHEAD of (1) my engagement video and (2) my wedding videos... but am relying on a friend who's too busy at the moment pushing out 'deliveries'. I gotta get on the blower again...

He's a videogame freak and he's got a job managing a team developing videogames - can one call him a workaholic if he loves it so much??!

If only I was so lucky!!

Thanks for the offer, Theo... but the logistics of transferring 60GB of data around the world is a little nightmarish. Especially for moi (a 56k luser)!!

Am real tempted to go buy some big HDDs and revamp the home PC to suit... something like P4 2GHz with 512M would be nice. Unfortunately can't justify the spend just right yet.

I'll try catchup with Mr Gizmo this week.

60GB??? What did you do with the data??? I meant the original form, digital or analog video tape... Converted to a reasonably format wouldnt exceet 1GB, except if the guy was one week in the musum... LOL

tttlogo.gif

http://www.vintagetamiyarc.com/

Would 1 week be enough though,icon_smile_wink.gif That's definantly the place i want to die in. Imagine haunting there, Fun for eternity.icon_smile_clown.gif

quote:

60GB??? What did you do with the data??? I meant the original form, digital or analog video tape... Converted to a reasonably format wouldnt exceet 1GB, except if the guy was one week in the musum... LOL

id=quote>id=quote>

Oooh... guess you haven't tried video editing on PC, Theo. icon_smile_wink.gif

I got the tapes on MiniDV; these are pure MPEG1 stream so for least quality loss they are dumped direct to HDD. Usually comes to about 20-30GB per Hourtape (prior to editing & downverting to a suitable distribution format), and I was given 3 tapes...

This was from the 2001 TamiyaCup - where they had the vintage race.

quote:Oooh... guess you haven't tried video editing on PC, Theo.

id=quote>id=quote>

Well Willy, I have tried video editing and it took me less than a year tttlogo.gif

Edited by - DJTheo on 23 Oct 2002 08:26:26

quote:

Also MPEG-1 is the compression initially made for VideoCDs with a low data rate of 600MB for 74minutes like audio CDs less than 200Kbytes/s, has nothing to do with the high data rates in the DV, 5:1 compression, 3.6 MBytes/s, so better know the stuff well before you put other people down
icon_smile_wink.gif

id=quote>id=quote>

I believe MPEG1 standard was around a bit before VCDs came along and borrowed the whole shebang...?

MiniDV is still strictly MPEG1 format. Ya, correct on the 3.6MB/s = 13GB/hr. I dunno what control-overheads the software has.

Latest MicroMV format now only uses MPEG2.

Either way I've still got 60GB stuck 30kms away and a friend who spends 20hrs/everyday at work... icon_smile_dissapprove.gif how?

I'd welcome any advice on FireWire external HDDs too!!

No Willy, MiniDV isn't using MPEG1, but its own compression format, some newer cameras use MPEG2 but not MPEG1:

http://www.vtiboston.com/minidv.htm

MPEG1 exists only for low quality and bitrates, like I said and became an international standard in 94, pretty when VideoCds apperared:

http://mail.uni-math.gwdg.de/rklette/image...res/25_lect.pdf

What propably confused you, is that some new cameras can output small, low resolution MPEG1 sequences to write on memory cars or send thru email:

http://www.consumerdvreviews.com/news/0202/02212002_01.asp

Cheers

tttlogo.gif

Interesting reading, but nothing new.

Yes camera writes in "DV" format... but what does it become after I've streamed it to HDD? (eg using say Final Cut Pro, or Adobe Premiere).

Is it still DV? Or has it become some MPEG derivative - the files on the HDD are approx 20GB/hr and its supposedly "loss-less" quality compared to the DV original.

We had no way of copying mDV tapes back then, copying onto VHS is lossy and the best we thought up was to dump it onto HDD. (I only had the original tapes for a weekend.)

This is also how we digitise analog video sources - run it through the camera's ADC and get a DV stream in realtime. We thinks this works better than most consumer-priced video digitising cards.

Yes, I know about the MPEG recording on digital cameras both still and video. However MPEG recording is usually direct to solidstate memory, not onto the DV tape. Not particularly impressed by the MPEG movies done on all that I've played with, reminds me of webcam quality.

quote:Is it still DV? Or has it become some MPEG derivative - the files on the HDD are approx 20GB/hr and its supposedly "loss-less" quality compared to the DV original.

id=quote>id=quote>

If you stream that directly to the PC and its 20GB/h its the original format, no PC has the power to convert those huge data rates in real time, at least yet...

quote: We had no way of copying mDV tapes back then, copying onto VHS is lossy and the best we thought up was to dump it onto HDD. (I only had the original tapes for a weekend.)

id=quote>id=quote>

Yes its the best way, but you can convert as I said to MPEG2 with virtually no quality loss (DVDs have much higher resolution than MiniDvs) and then edit normal size files. Also newer cameras use MPEG2 encoding, the older ones couldnt use it as they didnt have the computing power of real time encoding. Btw, when you say you can do a job, its better to be sure yourself you can do it or know that you can trust the one you give it to...

quote:Yes, I know about the MPEG recording on digital cameras both still and video. However MPEG recording is usually direct to solidstate memory, not onto the DV tape. Not particularly impressed by the MPEG movies done on all that I've played with, reminds me of webcam quality.

id=quote>id=quote>

Isn't that what I wrote above? You can't admit that MPEG1 was wrong, do you? tttlogo.gif

quote:Handbags at 10 paces

id=quote>id=quote>

I am not native english speaking, so I searched the meaning of it in internet and found that, might be also usefull to other that dont understand what i means... tttlogo.gif

Edited by - DJTheo on 24 Oct 2002 15:47:34

LOLOL - bunsen burners and beakers at 20 paces I reckon...........talk about techno talk !! Maybe we should have a tech head section as well ?? LOLOL

LLLLLLLLLLLLove this board !

LOLOL

Daz

Want more than Just Tamiya ??

webpagelink.JPG

Visit my page !!

The Tamiya museum sounds interresting... [:)]

Is there also one for the RC cars? The one mentioned was for the static models... [:(]

Maybe I should start my own (still need some models: SS, 959, 934, RR, etc. etc. anyone? [:D]) LOL [:)]

Sjoerd

quote:
Originally posted by DJTheo

Yes its the best way, but you can convert as I said to MPEG2 with virtually no quality loss (DVDs have much higher resolution than MiniDvs) and then edit normal size files.

id="quote">id="quote">

Agree - however I was advised we should only downcode at the end, otherwise each time its opened up and edited, there's another generation of loss. True?

quote:Btw, when you say you can do a job, its better to be sure yourself you can do it or know that you can trust the one you give it to...

id="quote">id="quote">

Aiyah, don't need to say. Thinking about it each month that passes... and ARRRGGH - he's also got the WEDDING TAPES!! [:0]

quote:Isn't that what I wrote above? You can't admit that MPEG1 was wrong, do you? [
;)
]

id="quote">id="quote">

TOO RIGHT!!! [}:)] Heh heh heh...

Okie, I'll concede... [B)]you're right.

I'll have to drown my loss sorrow this weekend by watching my degraded VHS copy... [:(] (180 mins, PAL format)