Wooders28

Optima mid custom special body colour.

I've bought a new body set for my Optima mid custom special, and would like to paint it box art colours.

The manual says  to "paint the body in any color you like" and give 'kyosho polica color No 2230' and a list of colours, none of which look like the box art colours!?!? 

Anyone any ideas?

Kyosho-Optima-Mid-Custom-Special.jpg

Pic lifted off tinterweb.

Does this Tamiya PS-52 Champagne Gold, look close enough? 

ps52_500.jpg

Or

Do I dare something a bit different and go for Tamiya PS-47 Iridescent Pink Gold??

ps47_500.jpg

I've seen a few in silver while I've been searching, looks to have been the done thing back then. Not sure i like the silver though! 

Tempted by the flip paint......( even if it goes against the box art original plan! 🤔) 

chameleon flip paint on vintage car suggests you need a Burberry scarf to simple text the 'chav' look, guv... :lol: 

Purple/gold is pretty severe, I think this is it (can't remember what I backed it with, possibly gunmetal not black):-

DSC03633.jpg

I'm eyeing the PS Pearl White if I ever get around to doing a MidCS.

Fascolor had a Faschange Gold which I love - it's a subtle golden sheen but translucent so your backing color show thru clearly but they seem to have stopped selling it.

DSC_1461-1024.jpg

On MidCS also gotta consider color of underside peeking out from under wing.

3 hours ago, WillyChang said:

chameleon flip paint on vintage car suggests you need a Burberry scarf to simple text the 'chav' look, guv... :lol: 

Mmmmmmm, thought it would be more subtle! ( why I don't know 🙄) 

The white is the mid custom box art, a body I toyed with getting as that's what I ran bitd..

Looking like its champagne gold then! 

There's a Mid Custom & a Mid Custom Special... can't remember if colors were the same but they coincided with period when I hung around LHS too much :rolleyes: right up until Lazer ZX appeared.

If you haven't used the Anodised Aluminium PSes before, you can adjust how strong the color turns out. The Anodised is misted on over very lightly several coats, but even by time you've emptied whole can on 1 1/10 shell (not quite necessary... if I'm parsimonious can do 2-3 shells with 1 can but gotta be real careful to mist evenly) it will barely be visible, until it's backed.

Backing with PS5 Black will give the loudest Pop, looking like the can lid. Backing with Gunmetal, Silver, Bright Silver, White... reduces that pop (in descending order). You can also back with other colors to tint the Anodised differently. Worth experimenting if you're so inclined.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up re spraying, and yes I'd back it with black as I'd mask out the window/canopy, remove then cover with black. 

The body set arrived now, so wanting to get it painted asap!!🙄😎

20170318_092359.jpg

Looks like a Marwan special ^_^ haha have admired his stuff for years, haven't quite gotten around to ordering... I'm lost where to start :unsure:

Not a huge fan of blacked canopy, I'd rather do a dark tint... 4-6 coats of PS31 Smoke. Or BiTD ppl grabbed offcuts of tint film from the local car window tint shop's dumpster...

10 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Looks like a Marwan special ^_^ haha have admired his stuff for years, haven't quite gotten around to ordering... I'm lost where to start :unsure:

Spot on!

The website said they where out of stock, so dropped him an email to ask when/ if they would be back in stock. Got a reply back a few days later to say there was one left, but a scratch on the underpan if I wanted it a bit cheaper! I'm going to run it anyway so, perfect! Sent me an invoice on paypal, job done.

Wondering what kind of effect a dusting of ps52 then a dusting of ps47 then 52 etc , backed in black ( although you've got me thinking of the smoke now! 🤔) 

29 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Wondering what kind of effect a dusting of ps52 then a dusting of ps47 then 52 etc , backed in black ( although you've got me thinking of the smoke now! 🤔) 

A muddy khaki coffee brown? :lol:

Yeah was eyeing MidCS shell as I've got some ScaleSeries cars using the LWB gold chassis (& belt, I'd guess). Just swap to buggy shock towers & OptionHouse shocks and it'll be pretty much Custom spec if not Custom Special.

• Like 1

I was of the understanding that it was only shocks, bearings and body that separated the custom from the custom special?

Mmmmmmm, coffee brown, I was hoping for cool flip colour metal flake effect! 😎

Lame Flake?? :lol:

i can't remember... Kyosho back then often had different specs in different countries. Some had a motor in kit box, some had countersunk chassis, red/gold/platinum shocks etc

And also not unknown for them to change spec between batches, had kits that arrived with different Bridgestone Potenza tyres.

• Like 1

Lame flake!? Not so catchy 

Still might try it though! 😎

Didn't realise they varied that much, I just presumed there where a few 'friday' cars! 

The Mid Custom was white on the box, if i remember correctly. My mate bought one in period and it came with a Kyosho Le Mans stock motor of some description, a rotary mechanical speed controller and also had the same body as the Mid Turbo LWB, rather than the peculiar bubble canopy one from the CS. The chassis was also made from a cheaper material than that on the CS and the Mid Turbo LWB. I always thought it was a bit of a dog, to be honest, although that may have been because he didn't maintain it properly and it was always breaking down as a result.

• Like 1