Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

oddball potential re-releases

Everybody wants to see the 959 or Blazing Blazer re-released, but how about some other Tamiya vehicles we don't hear about as often. Here's a few I thought of:

King Blackfoot- good old fashioned monster truck goodness but durable

Madcap- great buggy but with less issues than the Astute

Super Sabre- this buggy almost seems forgotten, probably because it was outdated at the time it was released, the Thundershot series was on the market by then

Sonic Fighter- I'm not a Striker fan but for some reason I like the jet on wheels Sonic Fighter, maybe offroad jets are cooler than off road F1 cars to me?

Falcon- not all that wildly popular when new (very plasticy) but I think more than a few of us would like to see this one come back

Hot Shot 2- overshadowed by the others in the lineup (except perhaps the Super Sabre) but really one of the most balanced equipment-wise, plus it had a silver box!

Road Wizard- just a cool F-1 car with 2 bodies and multiple decal sheets

Any others you'd like to see re-released?

• Like 1

Going by Tamiya's recent form it's only a matter time before all of the above get re re'd!

If I had the choice it would be a Mudblaster, I'm seriously hoping that as we have had the mb and bf it's surely got to happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Everybody wants to see the 959 or Blazing Blazer re-released, but how about some other Tamiya vehicles we don't hear about as often. Here's a few I thought of:

King Blackfoot- good old fashioned monster truck goodness but durable

Madcap- great buggy but with less issues than the Astute

Super Sabre- this buggy almost seems forgotten, probably because it was outdated at the time it was released, the Thundershot series was on the market by then

Sonic Fighter- I'm not a Striker fan but for some reason I like the jet on wheels Sonic Fighter, maybe offroad jets are cooler than off road F1 cars to me?

Falcon- not all that wildly popular when new (very plasticy) but I think more than a few of us would like to see this one come back

Hot Shot 2- overshadowed by the others in the lineup (except perhaps the Super Sabre) but really one of the most balanced equipment-wise, plus it had a silver box!

Road Wizard- just a cool F-1 car with 2 bodies and multiple decal sheets

Any others you'd like to see re-released?

None of those would be "oddball" though.

Now, The Striker? That WOULD be oddball.... :wacko:

And no, I definitely don't want to see it re-released. :lol:

• Like 2

If u want OddBall it doesn't get any odder than 3-wheeled B2B Sidecar :lol:

Cheetah is oddly missing.

Audi Quattro and Opel would be cute, on a limousined WR02"L" B)

The B2B would be a cool and different re-re I'd get one for sure. I'm hoping and praying that the Falcon comes back out again so I can get parts for my original and be able to run it without fear of costing me an absolute fortune if anything breaks.

I suppose "oddball" is perhaps a poor choice of words. Not that the cars themselves were oddball (ok, maybe the Sonic Fighter) but rather the choices of cars would not be mainstream. Everybody knows the Frog or the Hot Shot, but who would think to re-release the Super Sabre or Road Wizard? Tamiya has done "odd" re-res before like the Fire Dragon. Of course, this brings up the whole debate of whether Tamiya only bases re-res on their domestic market or not (frankly beyond the scope of this discussion). 

The missing Cheetah is strange considering we got the XR311. I would love to see the original Wild Willy and the offshoot rally cars (Audi and Opel) back again. They are such solid and uniquely constructed vehicles. Speaking of the B2B, what about all those early on-roaders that don't get much print? It would be cool to see them brought back in original form, not just a body tossed on a modern chassis. Of course a lot of this (but not all) is just day dreaming as the reality of profit and practicality come into play when actually producing models.

• Like 1

How about the original wild Willy then I bet the Opel ascona rally, Audi Quattro will follow? ( back in the day early 80' a guy use to come to our local school hall club and race his Audi Quattro with our hotshots optima's rc10's etc never say a word to anybody and in-between races just sit and read NME:unsure: now I'd never say anybody was weird because we are all different........But he was weird:huh:)

• Like 1

Release means I will buy..and it will be years later when they get fixed. I haven't even visited my LHS in months. Need to drop by to pick up a few re-re kits. 

The lack of a Super Sabre surprises me, given that everyone was clamoring for the other early 4WD buggies. Some of the others you mentioned are prime for an "old body on new chassis" release. I'd be all over the Opel/Audi on a stretched WR02 (or a short-wide MF01X?), and how about a DT03 Striker II or Neo Sonic Fighter?

I was also really hoping for a Lancia re-re to follow the Brat, but alas, it seems not to be...

I'd love to see the Quattro and Ascona return, either in their original form or on a new chassis. I think the original chassis is unlikely, though we can hope as it would definitely open the door for an original-style Wild Willy and Willy's Wheeler.

But a re-release using the WR-02 chassis would be easy, new D-parts (chassis sides) to lengthen the wheelbase and the job's done. As markbt73 mentioned, the MF-01X would probably work too - surely one of the possible wheelbase options would fit?

Didn't they re-release the Lancia with a TA03 chassis? Though it would be nice to see it come back again too...   

I'd quite like to see the hotshot II again, although I'd really like to see a boomerang black special with a winger body and lightweight wheels :)  It would have made sense to use the king blackfoot rear end on the Monster Beetle and Blackfoot re-releases, it would have got rid of all the transmission / diff gear issues that plagued the originals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadInventor said:

It would have made sense to use the king blackfoot rear end on the Monster Beetle and Blackfoot re-releases, it would have got rid of all the transmission / diff gear issues that plagued the originals.

Ahhh but that's just tamiyas way of helping aftermarket companies like mip etc stay in business. When you think about it it's very considerate of them :lol: