How about a Trecol?

617fab1c26c8d8c680935b49133b6bda.jpg

It even has roughly the right proportions in terms of wheel size and position!

• Like 2

I'd imagine it wouldn't be particularly fast in stock form, but the gears look to be chunky and tough, so I am sure they'll handle motor upgrades just fine.

What sort of power system do you think would suit it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shenlonco said:

Would have been cool if they made two hinge points in the chassis so the chassis flexes up and down along the terrain along with the stock suspension.

I kind of agree, but transfering power through the hinge point(s) with gears would cause "torque-articulation" and it probably would be relatively difficult to stop debris from getting in at the hinge point(s). Accordingly two or more separate drivetrains and motors would be then be the feasible solution, pushing price up. So I prefer Tamiya's simple layout as the drawbacks are minor compared to the cost of overcoming them.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I'd imagine it wouldn't be particularly fast in stock form, but the gears look to be chunky and tough, so I am sure they'll handle motor upgrades just fine.

Hobbywing 1060 ESC and 3S LiPo ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

How about a Trecol?

617fab1c26c8d8c680935b49133b6bda.jpg

It even has roughly the right proportions in terms of wheel size and position!

Even has a spot for the Wild Willy 2 winch!

On 13/03/2017 at 9:49 PM, Truck Norris said:

Yes, but in the same way the Heavy Dump Truck is 1/24 scale - i.e. the subject matter is larger than usual. It's bigger (well, longer) than a 1/10 GF-01 kit.

Yep, 

When you measure up a lot of the tamiya monster trucks are out of scale. Strictly speaking a txt-2 is only 1/12 for example when measured against a Bigfoot 18 which it's modelled on.

Most of the WT-01 trucks are out of scale for monster trucks at c 1/12-1/14 but in scale for regular pick up trucks. 

At 1/18 this looks to be in scale with a heavy dump truck or lunchbox.

It also looks epic. Guess Tamiya were caught out by the popularity of the heavy dump truck. I wonder if their Euro S&M edition one will sell as well.

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

Yep, 

When you measure up a lot of the tamiya monster trucks are out of scale. Strictly speaking a txt-2 is only 1/12 for example when measured against a Bigfoot 18 which it's modelled on.

Most of the WT-01 trucks are out of scale for monster trucks at c 1/12-1/14 but in scale for regular pick up trucks. 

At 1/18 this looks to be in scale with a heavy dump truck or lunchbox.

It also looks epic. Guess Tamiya were caught out by the popularity of the heavy dump truck. I wonder if their Euro S&M edition one will sell as well.

Some time ago, I checked the dimensions of the Tamiya WR-02 VW T1 against the 1:1 T1, and it's not even 1/12, like claimed by Tamiya. Because it's a caricature and thus deliberately has "wrong" proportions, it's several different scales :P, but if I recall correctly, 1/14 is an "average" scale of the body.

As for the Heavy Dump Truck, I can't image it's even 1/24 scale. The Mammoth Dump Truck is 1/20 scale according to Tamiya and the size of the cab would indicate that the stated scale is at least roughly correct. Of course, dump truck of this type come in different sizes, so that the Mammoth is much larger than the Heavy Dump Truck is maybe not a valid argument why the later can't be 1/24 scale if the Mammoth is 1/20, but seeing how small the cab is on the Heavy Dump Truck, about 1/32 scale or even a bit smaller would seem correct.

Anyway, I don't worry about the scale of the Konghead. The size (not scale) of it is appropriate for running together with GF-01's and WR-02's and as we're not really talking about highly realistic scale models with these "wheelie/stunt vehicles" anyway, the actual scale doesn't really matter much too me.

Some years ago, I read how some fans complained about the "silly" scale of the Mammoth and how much more appropriate it would have been if Tamiya had made the Mammoth in 1/12 or 1/10 scale. OK as an argument, I guess, but what they didn't take into consideration was that the Mammoth in 1/10 scale would be 8 times the volume of the actual existing model in 1/20 scale, making it massively more expensive to manufacture, ship and store in the supply chain from Tamiya, via forwarders, distributors, shops and warehouses. Also, Tamiya couldn't have based it on the Juggernaut and would have had to develop a completely new chassis, driving price further up. So what option was better? A (relatively) affordable model in 1/20 scale as s spin-off of the "dead end" Juggernaut and thus get more mileage out of tools that were more or less useless for anything else, or a 1/10 model at a cost and size that would put it out of reach for many fans?

Similarly, if the Konghead had been (true) 1/10 scale, it would have been quite a lot more expensive, it wouldn't have been so easy to base it on existing parts and if the larger scale had been an absolute criterion, Tamiya would possibly have concluded that turning the idea into reality simply wasn't viable. Accordingly, I'm very happy for its release and for all the parts common with the WR-02, GF-01 and TL-01. I couldn't bother much less about the "strange" scale.

That said, if checked carefully, there are probably just a few Tamiya RC models that are true to their (by Tamiya) stated scale. 

• Like 3

I don't know why, but to me this is one of the most interesting Tamiya models to be released in a while basic as it is.

Tamiya USA website now has the MSRP listed at $260 so should be well below $200 if that's correct.

Wow, that's cheaper than I thought. Still more than I can swing right now, mind you, but eventually...

Ok....... Im going to have to get 2 of them, and with Towers easy pay................ why wouldnt you?!?!?!?!?! lol

15 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I have a GF01 (IT's replaced the lunchbox as the go to fun car for my lad) and it is fast with a Torque tuned (Kit standard). It is ball raced, but I cant see it being much more of an issue with the additional box, it runs really smoothly, just do not slap grease on the gears.

Guess what my next project will be...

With black 1.9 wheels and a military truck body, that is something I've always wanted...

if that's a std TL01 hammerhead-shark bumper poking out the rear end, with its 4-hole mounting... hmm... 

So, when's this beast getting released?!?

Hmmm..... picture this as a RC (G6-01) Monster Truck version......

LC14_r0039_06.jpg

LC14_r0039_07.jpg

6x6-cj6-holbrook.jpg

5 hours ago, WillyChang said:

if that's a std TL01 hammerhead-shark bumper poking out the rear end, with its 4-hole mounting... hmm... 

So, when's this beast getting released?!?

I doubt it needs a wheelie bar, if that's what you're thinking. ;)

• Like 1

Some rather interesting pics of what appears to be a Konghead prototype / pre-prod / mule and the assembly of multiple G6-01 chassises at the Tamiya Philippines Cebu City plant. (Pics courtesy of  Bright Spot Gizmos & Toys on Facebook).

17362026_716394558522239_9090154199841624409_n.jpg

17201013_716375108524184_5867520209615340834_n.jpg

• Like 4

wait ......there are some people getting paid for building Tamiya Kits???? :o

I will get one.

Cant wait to see the other bodies they release for it if any.

Also will be neat to see what people mod them into! ;)

First thing that will have to go is the front bumper replaced by a nice skid plate.

Huh... I have a big tub of white 1150 plastic bushings like that too, only I'm taking them out of kits, not putting them in...

I have found another potential body: The Burlak! Nice and simple to make, too.

Russian-Burlak-ATV-FB-0--1024x683.jpg

• Like 1