Tamiya80sBuggyFan

Sharing some Hornet Upgrades

It also has a Frog Rear Wing. I mounted it using  RC10 wire mounts and a modifing the 3D printed mount. I just bent some wire in shape with pliers and painted the wire black. I also found a load of cheap black dot sticker on eBay that i can use to make a new wing when it brakes. Which it does ever now and again when you roll it over. But at least this way the body does not crack. Also since i installed the wire mount the wire takes same of the impact so the wing does not crack as often.

VWTErxj.jpg

IMG_20170314_164822.jpg

• Like 1

I think these shocks not only look great with the 3d printed double Wishbone suspension parts. But they also actually seem to work really well with some thick purple Tamiya oil in! Picture below shows how i fit them 

IMG_20170314_163351.jpg

Modified high torque servo saver. Got this to work by bolting an extension part from the standard servo saver that comes with the hornet. Also had to move the servo back a bit by connecting it just behind the normal servo mounts to get it to line up properly.

IMG_20170314_165831.jpg

Used rubber washers to remove play from 5mm ball connector and turnbuckle. Also used loads of 3mm shims to remove play from wishbone parts and 5mm shim set to remove play from wild one wheels. You can also see in this photo how i moved the servo back a little to get the high torque servo saver to line up. 

IMG_20170314_165851.jpg

Rear end 3d printed shock mount with modified frog rear shocks with cut down rear hornet springs. And 5mm ball end connectors added.

Also 3 shock mod using sand scorcher damper with front hornet suspension spring cut down to length .  

IMG_20170314_165955.jpg

Currently running the thickness oil i have Tamiya Purple in the 3rd sand scorcher shock damper and the lightest oil i have HPI 10WT oil in the rear frog shocks.  But the rear suspension still does not behave as well as i would like when its going fast over grass. But it's definitely loads better than stock! It's running a 21 turn brushed motor with 2s Lipo 5000mah. And can cross the length of a football pitch less then 10 seconds. But when going full speed across the pitch the rear end still  hops up and down. Would be interested to hear  what springs and oil combo others have used on there  hornets. But I think I'm probably going to have to go full independent suspension as soon as those parts are available. 

Good call on the rear shocks! I had not thought of those! Plus, I am a sucker for the Watanabe shell so I am loving your car!

• Like 2

I made some more improvements to the Hornet a while ago not, But only had the free time to share them. 

Got it to work with re-release Wild One wheels and hubs and and mixture of Frog and 39mm Drive Shaft Set for the DF03. To work with the new 3D printed rear suspension deigned buy PintoPower or AMPro as he also go's buy. Had to space it out quite a bit to work. Also found that wheel hubs that come as an unused parts on the Rising Fighter are comparable with Wild One Re-release wheel!JGKwIHQ.jpg

8Y2psV6.jpg

aE4HLgT.jpg

QdKelH0.jpg

Modified some Fog re-release shocks, To limit there travel and added ball links to them to stop them rubbing on the underside of the started Hornet body. 

p8Q4DIR.jpg

Cut some frog/wild One axle covers up to fitbst0uhY.jpg

Does make the rear end a little wider but it works! I have recent run it like this and found that it does get a lot of grass stuck in between the axle and wheels.

So I may change this to use the Tamiya Dish Wheels and more of the rear axle protected inside the wheel dish this way.

6rttxCH.jpg

And this is how I got the battery to stop falling out! Its basically frictions fits in there now.

So even if you take the battery door off and shake the car around with the car right ways up the battery will still stay in there!

ChLYAa2.jpg

And here is the finished results! 

RrGeJbo.jpg

o466mfN.jpg

k7rc8Do.jpg

• Like 5

I have to say it now drives amazingly!

I have a Tamiya Wild One and race my Girlfriend Hornet in the park occasionally. I started upgrading this Hornet as I felt bad that the stock Hornet handling and tendency to flip over made racing the Wild One against the Hornet unfair. But now I think the Hornet with all its 3D printed parts has surpassed it in performance! I have recently also removed the Wild One Wheels and longer Frog rear axle and all the spacing.

Using Tamiya Star Dish wheels seems to work a lot better.  New Pictures soon hopefully! As more of the axle and rear suspension arms are protected inside the wheel hub.

So now grass and leaves do not get stick around the rear axle so much now. Next I think I need to try it with the rear Anti Roll bar as iv not connected this yet. And now that the rear wheel base is not as wide I think it could benefit from this more now.

Also now that the hornet has proper independent rear suspension that actually works. Its removed all bounce from the rear when grossing grass at high speed.

Iv noticed that the front shocks are not so great and the front is now bouncing. I like the look of these aluminium vintage look setup. But since I recently setup the modem Tamiya Dt-03 Cva Damper Set on a Grasshopper 2/Rising Fighter Frankenstein car for that I build for my Niece. Iv come to appreciate their performance and the fact they don’t leak oil!

I set the new Tamiya plastic Oil Dampers on the front and rear, on a Grasshopper 2 chassis with a Rising Fighter body, using the new rear soft springs that come with the new re-release version of the Grasshopper 2. Only other modification I made was the fishing wire mod to stop the transmission moving up under acceleration. And its handling so much better than Hornet with the same fishing wire mod and stock vintage aluminium oil shocks. On a Grasshopper 2 with Tamiya Dt-03 Cva Damper set the rear bounce is still there. But its no way near as bad as a Hornet. And it can definitely go round corners faster than a Hornet without rolling. But this might be more to do with the wider front wheel base of the Grasshopper 2 than the newer oil shocks at the front.

So im thinning maybe getting the white version of the plastic dampers. Maybe leave them white or maybe dyeing them in a pot of purple!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 10:51 PM, Pintopower said:

Good call on the rear shocks! I had not thought of those! Plus, I am a sucker for the Watanabe shell so I am loving your car!

What would you know about it?

Oh hang on, I'm subscribed to your channel. 👍 😂🤣😂

Here is a comparison of the rear end before and after. 

First using Tamiya Frog rear rear axles and Wild One Wheels 

6rttxCH.jpg

And now with the Tamiya Axles from the DF03RA or TA04 kit and Tamiya Black Star Dish wheels.

UOC0QKO.jpg

I think not only does this look better but its also more practical.

As grass can not get suck so easily in the gap between the rotating wheel hubs and stationary rear uprights.

• Like 1

You did such a good job on this! Incorporating the Watanabe paint scheme was really killer too!

On 3/15/2017 at 1:30 AM, Tamiya80sBuggyFan said:

Sand scorcher damper mounted upside down so it can not leak. 

Mounting the dampers upside down was very common trick used on SRBs "back then" to reduce leakage. Unfortunately, it doesn't help much as it's primarily pressure that forces the oil out and not gravity. It may help a little, but hardly enough to make a significant difference (except on static shelfqueens of course!).

Great work here . You say this is your GF's car , but I bet she hardly gets a look in now ;)

• Like 1