Saito2

Go everywhere 4wd buggy

My goal is to build a buggy that I can/will take everywhere with me. Work, playground with my daughter, the beach, hiking trails, everywhere. A monster truck would likely suit better, but I need to fit it easily into a backpack, so buggy it is (hopefully 4wd will help with this). I like old-school, but want fresh plastics and parts support, so its gotta be a re-released. here's my choices and thoughts:

Hot Shot: Durable roll caged body takes abuse well. Sealed radio box and simplified steering will ward off sand better. The downside is no bearings and the quirky suspension lets it bottom out in the front

Super Hot Shot: All the pluses of the Hot Shot and I get bearings and better suspension and motor . The Big problem is cost. Its not a great bargain money-wise

Big Wig: this seems like a great bargain. I get the better suspension, bearings and motor of the Super Hot Shot at the bargain price of a Hot Shot. Its good value. The downside is I don't think parts will be as available (the Hot Shot's been around for some time now, parts are plentiful) and I'm not sure of the open tub chassis and rack steering system in sandy beach conditions. The body may not take to being shoved in a backpack either.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

If you're looking for a car that can go ever then why not consider a cc-01? 4wd, tough as old boots, capable of handling trails and doing just about anything else you care to mention. Plus it's a doddle to work on and spares/hop ups are readily available. 

• Like 1

The hotshot, supershot, and bigwig all use the same transmission, so there's not much too choose between them. I wouldn't use any of them on the beach, as although the gearboxes are well sealed, the drive cups and dogbone pins will get ruined when you get sand in them. The hotshot is probably the best choice of the lot for the beach as the shocks are up and out of the sand a bit, and it has a semi sealed radio tra.

The only tamiyas I have that I run on the beach are my Clod Buster and TXT-01. My advice would be get a TXT-1 and a larger backpack ;)

I too am looking at an all terrain buggy and I have narrowed it down to a Tt02b or a dt03. The TT02B is what I'm leaning toward mostly for the 4wd. 

Of the 3 you listed I think the Bigwig is your most viable option.  For me, the open bathtub chassis would be a plus, not a negative.  I like the idea of being able to turn the thing upside down, shake out sand/dirt/leaves etc and either blow out or brush out the stubborn bits.  I really don't like the idea of cracking open a "sealed" chassis to root out junk that has intruded. Don't worry about the body taking damage from being stuffed into a backpack.

Personally I use an SCT as my "all purpose" R/C basher.  It's bigger than my buggies to be sure but it covers just about every surface I can think to run on.  With the JConcepts SCT Backpack, it's even pretty portable. 

• Like 1

On the surface, the CC-01 is a good choice, but I like speed and jumping. There's also the small problem of me hating the CC-01 chassis (please don't throw rocks at me!). I love its design and build but running it leaves me cold. It just doesn't do anything for me and trust me, I tried. (bought two over the years and sold both).

I narrowed it down to those 3 Hot Sot series buggies because of their tough, sealed drive train (I wish the Thundershot was still around). I was also hesitant about running something with dogbones on the beach, but everybody seems to run Blitzers without complaints. Truthfully, a Lunch Box or Hornet is the least likely to see ill-effects of beach use, but I'm tired of running those for the last 30 years. Honestly, the buggy would see beach action 2 days out of the whole year. I can imagine a Clod makes a great beach runner too. I never considered the Hot Shot damper position, but that's a great point!

The TT02B tempted me. I gave up on it due to low ground clearance and my stubborn devotion to vintage style Tamiyas. Other than some TRF vehicles and truly unique or quirky Tamiyas (CR-01, TXT-1, and probably the new Konghead), my collection is re-res or vintage.

The Bigwig's open tub does allow for easy cleanout (man, its a good deal, Tamiya could have soaked us for the 10th aniversary car but kept it reasonable). I guess that only leaves me wondering about the steering rack's safety. Thank you for all the considerations.

• Like 1

I'm at the risk of sounding like a one trick pony but the neo scorcher is a cracking all rounder. Half the parts are made of big rubbery plastic. And for a few bucks extra it's a quick so and so. Only thing is going bigger motors stick in metal diffs. I run a castle 5700 Kv in mine one 2.2 inch DF03 rims with dirt hawgs and it is mental fun. It's handling is nothing other than "ragged edge" which makes it even more fun. The clearance with big motors never bothered me as it flies over most the bumps at 40 mph with the high horses from an after market brushless and when you scuff the chassis out so much it's bothering you as an eye sore, it's eight quid for a new one. Perfect track, beach work horse. Plus bits are as cheap as chips and as plentiful as chips. You can slip one easily into a back pack. Plus you're not paying a premium for nostalgia for the Tamiya 1980s tech. It's realistically priced for Tamiya 2010s tech.

if you want to run ragged and bash with a Tamiya without the guilt of a re re shelf queen the tt02b is a little gem.

• Like 4

You mentioned the places that you wanted to take it such as beach, playground, hiking trails. I think tyres can make a bigger difference than the four wheel drive in some cases. One that sprung to mind was a madbull. This has the balloon like tyres of the lunchbox and midnight pumpkin but on a buggy platform. I've not got one myself but heard people rave about these things, about how tough and fun they are.

• Like 2

Best toy on the beach is an SCT, with sand paddles if you're hardcore :rolleyes:

DSC02955-640.jpg

Second-best is Willy's 4WD bucket :lol: has room inside for a TX & a 6-pack.

A4DA3F10-DDCA-4E9C-949A-15DC13CD8F0E.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Terz1 said:

You mentioned the places that you wanted to take it such as beach, playground, hiking trails. I think tyres can make a bigger difference than the four wheel drive in some cases. One that sprung to mind was a madbull.

This might be a suggestion that would sway me from my 3 picks. If tire size and ground clearance beat 4wd then the Madbull suggestion might be perfect. It's simplistic and easy to clean. I could pull the wheels and tires off and easily fit it into a small backpack. Its also nice and light to lug around. I haven't tired of its performance like a Hornet, but its drivetrain and suspension is pretty sand-proof like the Hornet. Its not quite as old as I like, but I could see myself having fun with it. The TT02B (especially the excellent value MS version) tempted me, but the I think the quirky Madbull could be a winner.

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Its not quite as old as I like, but I could see myself having fun with it. The TT02B (especially the excellent value MS version) tempted me, but the I think the quirky Madbull could be a winner.

You could always paint up the Mad Bull to look like a Grasshopper II if you want a more "vintage" styling.

Tamiya-Grasshopper-II-Original.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 0:14 PM, WillyChang said:

Second-best is Willy's 4WD bucket :lol: has room inside for a TX & a 6-pack.

A4DA3F10-DDCA-4E9C-949A-15DC13CD8F0E.jpg

Our neighbor has one of these...  Hilarious...

http://c3customcoolers.com/

Terry

If you are bothered about ground clearance then some truck wheels on a modern buggy are a proper laugh. This is my DT03 with vintage GH2 shell, blitzer beetle wheels and schumacher truck tyres

2017-04-06_06-57-59

Tyres make the biggest difference, I'm toying with a pair of sand paws to put on the back of my DT03 to run on Southport beach, when I head back down to the folks in the summer.

26 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Tyres make the biggest difference, I'm toying with a pair of sand paws to put on the back of my DT03 to run on Southport beach, when I head back down to the folks in the summer.

Although very cool, I have found sand paddles to only really be worth while when the beach is extremely dry, soft and deep sand, I have pretty much reverted to just using spiked tyres now, unless its super soft the cars tends to bounce over the sand with the paddles which actually slows them down. 

As I said, though, very cool looking ;) 

IMG_20160515_151645_zpsqj2fjygz.jpg

• Like 3

The dunes are soft, plus they do look cooool 😎

• Like 1