Longrev

What car is this?? Stumped

Hello guys, a little help trying to figure out which vintage car this is..  I got a couple boxes of old RC parts, and want to get them going, but kinda need some help identifying the car(s).. ThanksDSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

There are folks with far more knowledge than I on the subject who will no doubt post shortly. Most of what I see is highly modified Tamiya SRBs (Sand Scorcher, Rough Rider, etc.) They have loads of awesome period hop-up parts on them. The one in the second pic appears to still have its original SRB gearbox with aftermarket swing arms, roll cage, suspension and chassis. The first/third pic have very little actual SRB stuff left on them (a few front end parts). These may be Taipans, ready made period competition cars based on Tamiya SRBs. Think of them as SRBs with nearly all the hop-ups available (there were alot as you can see) already put on them. These cars and parts are truly unique gems! Very nice!

These are Frankenstein vehicles, one of them has the srb parts and the other is rocking a Blackfoot tranny. Pretty cool stuff though..... and ask if he's willing to sell that clear body ;) 

The guy that I got them from said it was his dad's cars and unfortunately he passed away, and he had no interest in them, and he knew I was into RC cars so he gave them to me..  I would like to see if I can get one running using the old electronics..  But i don't know..  He said his dad was into racing ..  I think they are awesome.  The newer tech is nice, but there is something about the old ones ..  I just started trying to figure out how to get them going...  Should be fun

PM me some pics of everything I'll help you sort it all out. Sure is a cool haul!

Ok I will.. I will lay it out tomorrow..  There is parts still in the package..  Ya that body that is still in the package is awesome..  The one thing I really got a kick out of is the square transmitter..  hard to see in the pics, but wow how did they use that for controlling the cars..  lol

Here is one of the underside..  Looks like he built all of these himself..

DSC_0021.JPG

Longrev, you have struck gold with those cars.. IMHO, they are some of the most sort after cars in the hobby..

Yes, they are based on the Tamiya SRB cars, but they have many aftermarket parts from MIP, CRP and RCH on them..

The "butterfly" chassis was made by CRP.. The gearbox and trailing arm rear suspension is made by MIP. The plastic/nylon front suspension pieces (I think) were made by RCH... The red shocks were off early Kyosho nitro cars..

If you have a look in the vintage reviews section of the site you may find more information on them..

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=191

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=190

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=189

Wow..  I had no idea..  I love learning about this..  It really amazes me..  I will get more pics of what I have in the boxes.  Thanks for the info..

6 hours ago, Backlash said:

Yes, they are based on the Tamiya SRB cars, but they have many aftermarket parts from MIP, CRP and RCH on them..

I know "SRB", what what do all these other abbreviations mean?

Looks like some more goodies in that box - vintage Superchamp rear bumper , what are the parts in the Tamiya bag ? . The Nascar shell #5 is a Marui Coors Melling Thunderbird

Here are some pics of the parts laid out..  Let me know what you guys see..

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

Great score on this lot , vintage HB / SR wheels / tyres , and quite a few S/champ spares , the buggy is awesome

The new in packet holiday buggy wheels will be worth quite a lot I suspect. Interesting to note that the car has been run with an 8.4v pack as well, whoever had this before was obviously serious about going fast.

Ya, rt. There also were some 6 cells in the box also..  Thank you all for helping me figure this stuff out..

What a cool lot! That car was obviously loved! 

Ya, it sure looks like it was..  hopefully I can get it going with the original speedo..  I think I might have to put an updated ex/TX for it..  that square receiver box doesn't look like it would be easy to use..  lol

Receiver is in the car, you transmit from the handset ;)

Futaba T2F is surprisingly comfortable, cradled in your left forearm... like an iPad today :) it'll be 40yo soon!

They're built like tanks so it's hard to wear them out. If it's been stored dry it might still work fine, they can get damaged from moisture & leaky batteries. Run them off either 8xAA rechargeables or 7xAA alkalines.

What does look uncomfortable is the giant sponge tyre, original owner must've had huge hands. I'd only use a rubberband for grip, as we ran them on gas cars and hands were always greasy.

I meant transmitter..Lol.  Ok you talked me into it..  I will give it a try..  it looks pretty well intact..  only question is the throttle the dial on top??