Tamiyold

Manta Ray resurrection!

Hello all,

Thought I'd share my Manta Ray restoration with you. I bought the car in 1991 and spent a fair bit on upgrades. The car has languished in the attic for a good few years. I stopped racing about 15 years ago and sold most of my gear and other cars I had about 5 years after that.

I still have enough of the car left to start rebuilding it:

Highlights: Original Manta Ray gearboxes, Top Force wheels with Kyosho H pattern tyres, RW Racing double deck chassis and carbon prop shaft, ball diffs front and rear, Tamiya Hi Cap aluminium shocks and Top Force style rear shock tower.

So far I have replaced most of the plastic gears and rebuilt the rear diff and shocks and given it a bit of a clean up. I am now trying to track down replacement fron universal drive shafts but they are proving elusive, is there an alternative I can use from another Tamiya car?

Not sure if I am able to post pics yet but I'll try and get some up at some point soon.

Thanks for reading.

Mark

• Like 1

Definitely pics needed as just purchased good runner that I will be upgrading after my rere hotshot. Front shock tower seams super flimsy, did they break much back in the day? Aluminium hop up maybe. 

Think a top force repro body would look fantastic on it.

DF02/DF03/DT02/DT03/TL01b/WR01/TT02b driveshafts fit the DF01 chassis, you can get those from Tamiya 53791 $$ or GPM and such, I like the ones Tobee makes beefie but strong but maybe overkill for a buggy more for the WR/WT chassis.

Apologies for my absence, and thank you for the interest! I decided to sell the Manta Ray as I was worried about breaking bits I couldn't replace!

Having said that, I am expecting a Top Force 2017 to arrive any day now (wanted one when they came out originally), still have one or two spare Manta Ray bits that'll fit the TF. Also got myself a Neo Scorcher last year and am in the process of hopping it up, I'd say more here but the TT02B probably isn't classed as vintage so I'll save that for another section.

Anyway, since you asked I have attached a couple of pics of the Manta Ray... kinda miss it really so looking forward to building the TF.

Mark

20170315_185935719_iOS.jpg

20170413_175351412_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

Tamiya have just Re-released  the Manta Ray. New for £114 posted