ThunderDragonCy

Grasshopper (DT0)3 - Adventures in getting back into RC - Now with Proline truck shell

6 minutes ago, gizard said:

I am wondering if this body would work well as a basher on my Tundra. Can you advise what the centre wheel arch to centre wheel arch distance is please?

This is the body, and all the sizes qnd specs are quoted. Wheelbase is said to be 273mm

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-clear-body-pro-mt.asp

There are plenty of shorter bodies in this width, but also some wider, longer onea. Proline quote width and wheelbase forvall of them.

@Man1c M0nk3y I have just checked the steering clearance and it's possible the inner knobbles of the tyre might just clip the inboard edge of the front wheel arches, but it's not by much. I suspect it will be fine in practice, but I'll let you know once I have run it.

Just gave it a quick run in the street. It did catch the tyre at full lock, but a little bit of fiddling with the end points and toe adjustment (it was massively toe out on one side somehow) and it's fine now. I might trim the arch away a little bit if it keeps catching on rough ground.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just gave it a quick run in the street. It did catch the tyre at full lock, but a little bit of fiddling with the end points and toe adjustment (it was massively toe out on one side somehow) and it's fine now. I might trim the arch away a little bit if it keeps catching on rough ground.

Thanks for the added feedback. I never ran it. Just static playing around and if memory serves it was full lock and compression. 

Didn’t doubt it would be solvable. Thought I’d mention/ask anyway just in case you had any weird handling and it didn’t immediately come to mind. 

• Like 1

Ran it properly today. I am SO happy with it! It looks just prefect tearing about in the park. Had to cut the trailing edge of the front wheelarches, just opened out the radius of the arch by about 5mm and tapered it in. 

2019-06-22_06-02-02

• Like 3

Couple of little tweaks and nearly an hours' running in the park tonight

20190702_205057

20190702_205128

Cut up my old (and surplus) TRF211 Azarashi shell to fit with some velcro on the sides of the tub as a chassis cover. Worked perfectly with no grass at all inside the chassis despite it being fresh cut, rooster tails of grass cuttings. Second thing was installing the wing mount and sticking two layers of soft foam using double sided tape. I cut the foam up from a padded box one of my lipos came in. This touches the load bed underside and i have to push the shell down and compress it to get the rear body pins in. Worked really well to stabilse the body and stop rattling. 

Was fun driving tonight, but it was pretty big on the power slides! The grass was a little damp, but i think it's time for new rear tyres. 

Last little thing - turned thetiming down to zero in the esc. The motor had been getting really hot previously, but it was good tonight and the truck was still plenty fast! 

Also did a thing

• Like 4

@ThunderDragonCy I absolutely love your Raptor shell it's class ! I am starting to look for a replacement to my Stadium Thunder shell that is not too keen on the track abuse (mostly my bad driving and setup experiments). This might just fit the bill !

Do you know the height and width of the Schumacher Stagger Rib ? It seems to fit nicely on the Stadium/Blitzer/Aqroshot narrow front rims which is not the case of most 2.2 Truck tires which as often too wide for that rim and 1/10 rear 4wd Buggy that would be the width have an outer diam that is way too small. So is the Stagger Rib that holly unicorn ?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Balgaroth said:

@ThunderDragonCy I absolutely love your Raptor shell it's class ! I am starting to look for a replacement to my Stadium Thunder shell that is not too keen on the track abuse (mostly my bad driving and setup experiments). This might just fit the bill !

Do you know the height and width of the Schumacher Stagger Rib ? It seems to fit nicely on the Stadium/Blitzer/Aqroshot narrow front rims which is not the case of most 2.2 Truck tires which as often too wide for that rim and 1/10 rear 4wd Buggy that would be the width have an outer diam that is way too small. So is the Stagger Rib that holly unicorn ?

Thanks! You will have more options with you blitzer as it has a much shorter wheelbase than my dt03. It is a dual cab shell which gives 273mm wheekbase vs 289 for the chassis. There is loads of choice from proline and j concepts of 1/10 scale monster truck shells which are narrow enough to fit between the wheels on our chassis. Just check the wheelbase when you are browsing. 

As for the tyres, they are that unicorn. They work great, and i don2even glue them on the rims. With the foam inserts they are spot on.