ThunderDragonCy

Is it possible to remove paint from old polycarbonate boies?

Getting on here and chatting about my Thunder Dragon has got me wondering about whether it's possible to strip the paint. It's a pretty tatty job done by my 15 year old self, but new TD bodies are rare and super expensive. I wondered if there are a sure fire safe way of getting the old paint off without damaging the body so I could have a proper go?

I had some success removing brush on Tamiya PC paint by simply scraping it off with a flat bladed screwdriver. But then I didn't key the bodyshell surface with sandpaper before I painted it in the first place.

• Like 1

I'd just go with the repro body and decals and keep the original for running and nostalgia purposes. When I restored my monster beetle I stripped and repainted the shell in box art and I regret it. While I'm proud of the work I've put into making it look like new I've lost the character it used to have. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thommo said:

Don't mess with it.  It's a window to your 15 year old self.

Maybe go for a replica body and stickers.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/TEAM-BLUEGROOVE/_i.html?_nkw=Thunder+dragon&submit=Search&_sid=97772842

http://mciracing.ca/products?keywords=Thunder+dragon

Cheers for the tip! That's the best price shell option I have seen. Might have pick one up, maybe go mad and paint in something other than silver. Would be nice to have a shell that was cut nicely around the suspension and body mounts 

Well I couldn't resist, I have ordered one of those TBG bodies. No decals or paint yet, but at that price I think having a spare on the shelf would be good. Thanks for kind words about the current shell but it's a proper 5ft-er, as in it looks fine from 5ft away! It's cracked in a fair few places. I'll put the spare on the shelf for another time.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 8:48 AM, Supercoolnothing said:

I'd just go with the repro body and decals and keep the original for running and nostalgia purposes. When I restored my monster beetle I stripped and repainted the shell in box art and I regret it. While I'm proud of the work I've put into making it look like new I've lost the character it used to have. 

Agree with what you said on not removing the paint for nostalgia purposes. I bought an old Rough Rider and the body that someone else painted I can't bring myself to strip it.  It's old and I actually like it just for the nostalgia. I'll eventually buy a re-re body for it and paint it.

On 9/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, Avante2001R said:

De solv it graffiti remover. Works even on Pactra paint and is safe for polycarbonate.

A8217388-A65C-4477-ADD7-C9F12A4A5E3E.jpeg

But don't leave it overnight! it clouds up lexan

On 9/13/2018 at 7:23 PM, taffer said:

No I always remove after 15 mins.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 7:23 PM, taffer said:

I've used it on loads of things with good results.

The only tricky thing so far has been this Nikko hard body, I didn't leave it on very long but got a whitish residue afterwards that will come off but takes a lot of effort. 

Not entirely sure what happened, it almost seemed to happen once I used water to rinse it off, underneath the body you can see where the water flowed through the holes and left the same residue, no cleaner had been there till that point, only the water and cleaner mixture as I rinsed it off. I did read something about calcium deposits but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Something I did discover subsequently is that the paint used was plastikote, perhaps that had something to do with it?

svWgT8r.jpg

Apart from this one truck though I've had nothing but good results from de solv it and like I say, the issue with this one could well be the type of paint.