scollins

recent Cobra Nostalgic body restoration!

Really juiced up about how this turned out for what started as a broken bodyset left for dead on eBay. I bought it and a rare Kyosho Porsche 906 both with damage for 70USD, an absolute steal to someone who likes to do bodywork like me. The Cobra is now all finished, and repaired with fiberglass and body filler and then primed and painted on the outside. A lot of work!!! But these shells are so rare now I thought it was worth the effort. Luckily the previous owner did not destroy the back of the body just the front where I had to do all of the major repair work. See my previous posts for how I fixed that lexan back up to almost new condition... I've really worked hard to make this a gem and it turned out really nice. Sometimes you get a little luck on your side.

See my previous posts for the details on how I did this-- (chronologically from the newest post to the ones from a few days earlier).

https://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130681&id=5414

https://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130673

https://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130655

https://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130514

before shot.JPG

SAM_1598.JPG

SAM_1635.JPG

• Like 11

Good to be able to see your work here in the Forums. And WOW, that bodywork is beyond awesome.

thanks buddy,,,for the kind words - here are some more pics of the process,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SAM_1601.JPG

SAM_1610.JPG

SAM_1624.JPG

• Like 1

Hi there,,, I strongly feel that this will hold up exceptionally well,, as long as I do not hit something head on at 35mph I should be fine.

My next repair went successful too,,,Porsche 906 Kyosho Nostalgic Series! Lots of work!!!  scollins

P4.jpg

P6.jpg

• Like 3

Scollins, beautiful work!! I sent you an email, have a few questions for you about cobra body..

@ scollins:

You reinforced with some woven material the area under the front hood. Which material is that ? And which glue did you use ?

I want to minimize the terrible wobbling of my Shelby Cobra body - whilst running it on the parking lot - and am therefore looking for someone who has already succesfully done that.

Thanks !

Marc

Hi JohnSinclair,,,,,,,,,

I have not been on the forums in a long time. Apologies for my late reply but I hardly get time to do actual R/C projects anymore so getting on the TC forums to answer a question or two is truly rare.

The material is standard woven fiberglass cloth that can be purchased at most auto-parts stores,,, or if you prefer a business that sells auto-body supplies. My technique involves gluing down the fiberglass matte cloth with either CA (and then kicker to instantly "set" the CA glue) or.....I glue down the corners of the fiberglass cloth with CA glue first and then use conventional 5-minute epoxy to smear over top of the cloth, allowing it to soak in. Either way works, using the epoxy is a little more conventional,,, but lately I've been relying on CA glue as it is available in different thicknesses thin, medium, thick (viscosity)

The biggest thing to know is that you should have your lexan paint job properly backed up with silver paint, or white (or either followed by black) so that the fiberglass and glue patch has no chance of revealing itself thru the first coat of paint applied to the inside of the lexan shell.

Hope this helps,

s.collins

• Like 1

Both the 906 and the Cobra are lovely shells and you have done great work with them. The 906 is particular is new to me. I know of the 1:1 car, but I have never seen the 1:10 version, so it's a joy to see it rendered so well here.

@ Yalson- Unfortunately I sold the Porsche 906 on eBay a couple years ago and really had a bad experience from a difficult buyer. It was horrible, looking back I wish I just would have kept it, it was so much work to restore it to this level. The body was absolute trash when I started.

Thanks scollins for your reply !

I will use 90g cloth with 24h epoxy from R&G to enforce the wobbly body.

A can of PS-59 to thicken the very scarcely applied 1st paintcoat is already ordered.

Do you think I should also apply a final layer of black paint ? Tamiya paint is so expensive...And super stinky :(

Adding a final layer of black paint is not really necessary, but would make it look a bit more tidy I suppose.