Rag-top

Blazing Blazer restoration

Hello,

I bought a Blazing Blazer for restoration about a year ago and I'm finally getting around to starting it. I have a few queries please.

- It came without its original battery, what's the best type to replace it with please? I'm planning to run the car a bit. It's never going to be quick, but the quicker the better!

- The radio gear seems a bit tired, the servos don't move much (AP-427). Is there a way of refurbishing them, or should I replace with modern gear?

- I'm about to buy some of those reproduction tyres as I can't find an original set. Anyone bought some and driven on them? Are they well made?

- My painting skills are pretty basic. I'm considering paying someone to paint the car (box art probably) Any recommendations please?

-'There's a reproduction decal set on eBay. Anyone used one of them? Is the quality good?

Thank you!

Hi there bud great you've got a blazer a fantastic truck I have one myself,

Im sure yuasa do a battery that will fit do a bit of research on it I'm sure something will pop up,I've heard that those repro tyres are good quality ,and for decals don't buy the one's from eBay UK the seller is in dartford I had some Porsche 959 one's off him I was appalled by the quality so I demanded my money back which I did get!!,

as your restoring a blazer you can't beat having originals if you can get them or you have a spare £200 I used MCI racing decals there great quality I've used MCI decals on a few of my cars and I've found them to be good quality and I'm quite fussy when it comes to details,

regarding the spraying I've done loads of paint jobs for TC members all over the world not so much lately due to the cost of shipping to and from the USA, Europe is ok not to pricey where are you based here in the UK or abroad drop me an email all the best with the blazer cheers steve.image.thumb.jpg.957cfa4f89bc961fb3dcc569b9242f69.jpg

• Like 1

With regards to the MCI decals I can also recommend them I've just bought a set for my rebuilt Ford Ranger and the quality is second to none.

I can also say don't get the decals from eBay, I got a set for my Sand Scorcher and they looked ok but nothing compared to the MCI decals.

• Like 1

I just had two sets of the eBay seller decals and can confirm there poor .

both my sets had a tint of purple through the silver and white and basically he could not fix it .

not want to pay the earth is there any others for good price but better quality in the U.K. ? Those look great and good price but I’ve already been waiting 3 weeks :/( .

thanks Steven 

I know you think you want to go fast, but these things tip real easy and all that lovely detail gets quickly trashed :). The stock leaf springs are really hard and actually benefit from having the big 6v battery weighing them down, so if you do replace the battery I would add the weight back in. My route was to replace the stock leafs with the Tamiya Hilux High Lift spring sets example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TAMIYA-HIGH-LIFT-FORD-F350-TOYOTA-HILUX-Leaf-Springs-TI6-/141863515622

These are adjustable and make the suspension articulate really quite well - albeit at slower speeds :)

There really is nothing to Painting the Blazer, its just black and then silver for the roof. Its the decals that give it the wow look. back when I restored mine the decals where available on here not sure they are allowed to sell them anymore, but I would have thought someone might have a set?

Good luck, they are a nice "big" bit of engineering.