ThunderDragonCy

Advice on first time touring/rally chassis? Hypothetically speaking...

Interested in adding my first touring/rally car to the collection. Always been a buggy man up to now, and have absolutely no idea about the car style chassis. TT01, TA01, DF03Ra. lost. Tried reading into on Tamiyabase but just got confused!

Just want a fairly for running in the street that I can put one of those cool old Peugeot 306 Maxi rally car bodies on. Don't fancy the FF front wheel drive chassis (unless you can persuade why I might), and ideally want something with oil dampers as I like my cars to handle, even if I'm just mucking about. Particularly interested in cheap/plentiful used options.

Help? 

Cheers!

XV01 is the best from what I have read and been told. I don't own one though. Not sure what wheel base the 306 body is. If it's 257mm you will be good with an XV01. If not, you may want to look into a TT02 chassis as they are able to run different wheel base bodies on them. This was the route I went because I wanted the Datsun 240z body, but it is 251mm and wouldn't fit the XV01 chassis.

Cheap/plentiful used options? Can't beat the TT-01 then! Although supplied stock with friction dampers, many used examples will have been upgraded to oil shocks, and the reversible rear suspension arms allow for the desired wheelbase adjustment.

Thanks. Peugeot 306 does appear to be 257mm as this is the wheelbase of the FF02 chassis.

Not heard of XV01, will look into it. TT01 I'll look out for too. If I want a little more ground clearance is there any difference in rally spec dampers and touring car spec?

AFAIK they are the same dampers, just with the longer lower eyelets attached in place of the shorter ones used for an on-road setup.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

AFAIK they are the same dampers, just with the longer lower eyelets attached in place of the shorter ones used for an on-road setup.

Ah, OK. That's easy then. What about TT02 chassis? Seems to be a few of those about too.

The TB-01 is indeed the tougher chassis, but not as easily available as the TT-01/TT-02, both of which are still in production.

Not sure about the TT-02, as while it has the facility to be built with increased ground clearance without any modifications, I recall seeing my mate run his TT-01 rally car head-to-head against another bloke's TT-02, and the TT-01 won hands down, power sliding around corners in a most realistic manner, whereas the TT-02 rolled over a lot.

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just want a fairly for running in the street that I can put one of those cool old Peugeot 306 Maxi rally car bodies on. Don't fancy the FF front wheel drive chassis (unless you can persuade why I might), and ideally want something with oil dampers as I like my cars to handle, even if I'm just mucking about. Particularly interested in cheap/plentiful used options.

Pug comes on FF02 which is an upsized M03, the best FWD chassis design ever!

M03 backbone is extended & uses TL01 arms for width. They handle well, even better with good oil shocks & balldiff and are just about impossible to be built wrong. :) 

Haven't seen many 306 NIB bodysets in recent times but not uncommon to find NIB & NewBuilt kits... so chances are if you want that body, it'll probably be easiest to buy a whole car. 

There's probably about 10-15mm clearance on rallyblock tyres. If you want more, could be possible to try the newer MF01X knuckles which offer a 2nd higher set of mounting holes. 

• Like 1