Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy39

CC Bec issues

Currently hunting and gathering for TF2 build with Chevy Blazer body set. Electrics are confusing me though.....running this speedo https://www.modelsport.co.uk/mtroniks-tio-rock-crawler-esc/rc-car-products/37671 with a castle creations 10a bec. When I first plugged everthing in it seemed fine (bec wired in as per manual) but then I realised I'd forgotten to disconnect signal wire from esc lead!

Did that (and hope I didn't damage anything by forgetting it) but then things went weird. Motor will rev up but then stutter and not get full power. Unplugged bec and put esc red wire back in and it's fine so its definitely the bec.

Do I even need a bec with that esc? Also I read that the 10a bec comes in 5.1v as standard, do I need to up this and if so do I need the ridiculously priced usb link tool?

The Tio has a built-in 5A BEC, already an upgrade over the 3A BECs found in many other ESCs. I would have thought that this ought to be plenty for a single standard sized steering servo, even a beefy one in a heavy scaler. It isn't like you are running an oversize steering servo in a 1/5 scale rig where double-figure BECs are typically seen!

Perhaps try it with the built-in BEC, and if it browns out, try a capacitor first before resorting to an external BEC?

Thanks turnip, yes I'll try running without. I am also running a gear shift servo though and a winch eventually.

so you reckon it's the 5.1 output (which I've just checked with meter) that's the issue?

Most radio gear can work on 4.8V (four old-school NiCads) so I don't think that is the issue. Not sure what the issue is TBH, but if it doesn't occur without the external BEC connected, and the external BEC isn't required, might as well leave it out?

I am sure 5A will be enough for steering gearshift and winch, especially if you consider that the TEU-105BK has a 1A BEC, and you don't hear people complaining about them browning out.