Macinnis

Another Neo Scorcher build

http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/shop/ShopProduct.aspx?type=Search&keyword=TT02b

They sell the good universal joints

I used Tamiyausa.com for the gravel hound gear set and diff housing, and since I was ordering, picked up the carbon shock towers from them. 

Towerhobbies is in champaign Illinois. They have free or reduced shipping on most orders. They had a lot of the items I wanted in stock.

I did a little bit off amazon and eBay but I made a spreadsheet of parts prices from each and ordered the cheapest while trying to get multiple parts from the same vendor to save shipping. 

Ill add to the post as I think of more. 

4 hours ago, Pumpkin2 said:

I think that's too much. Very limiting to suspesion travel. I'd do what was suggested and get use a higher oil while Using the stiffest tension rings for the springs... or upgrade the shocks.

I like your build so far! I'm building one too and we've chosen a similar color scheme (see pic).

I've run stock (except for bearings) and have a few upgrades planned. I'm in the US (NYC area) and parts are hard to come by. Still waiting on quite a few things. Any recommendations for hop-up parts with reasonable shipping to the US?

So far I've put a Tamiya Sport-Tuned in.

Waiting on:

Dual Block Tires and Large Dish wheels

]

Does anyone know if the Dual Block tires fit the stock rims or do you have to have the dish style?

12 hours ago, Macinnis said:

http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/shop/ShopProduct.aspx?type=Search&keyword=TT02b

They sell the good universal joints

I used Tamiyausa.com for the gravel hound gear set and diff housing, and since I was ordering, picked up the carbon shock towers from them. 

Towerhobbies is in champaign Illinois. They have free or reduced shipping on most orders. They had a lot of the items I wanted in stock.

I did a little bit off amazon and eBay but I made a spreadsheet of parts prices from each and ordered the cheapest while trying to get multiple parts from the same vendor to save shipping. 

Ill add to the post as I think of more. 

Thanks. I've ordered a lot from Tower Hobbies but haven't found the hop-ups I was looking for.

32 minutes ago, Pumpkin2 said:

Thanks. I've ordered a lot from Tower Hobbies but haven't found the hop-ups I was looking for.

What are you looking for exactly?

39 minutes ago, Macinnis said:

What are you looking for exactly?

I've ordered most of what I mentioned in my list but its taking a long time to ship to the US, mostly coming from China.

I'd like the alloy steering parts in red. I've found them but... Again... shipping from China.

The same goes for the black alloy steering arms, knuckles, C-hubs. And the full turnbuckle set. All need to ship from China and take at least 2 1/2 weeks.

just a note; the tamiya hop-up towers aren't carbon, they're FRP (fibre reinforced plastic) :D

I was going with a white chassis but could only find black alloy parts...

20170414_003416.jpg

• Like 3

I removed the high speed gear and went back to full stock gearing until I  can replace the motor and esc.  I have the 70t spur gear and started using the 17t stock pinion. The TBLE-02 ESC and Torque tuned motor run pretty well geared this way.  I can run a full 2s 4000 lipo through it with no troubles.  It was very quick and nimble.  My set screw on the pinion fell out on a garden run so  I pulled the motor and wanted to try the 19t pinion that came with my Gravel Hound gears.  I ran a high speed test on both setups.  The 17t pinion topped out at 30kph which I felt was pretty fast for a stock setup.  It was quick off the line and chewed through dirt and gravel roads with ease.  Once I put the 19t pinion gear in, the tt02b fell on its face off the line.  I figured that's the price you pay for higher gears so i didn't think too much about it.  I put the gps in tonight and the top speed was 31kph.  That stumped me.  I figured moving up 3 sizes on pinions would make a considerable difference in speed and it made the car worse overall.  Am I maxing out the motor and esc with the 19t pinion?  I just find it odd that 19t is the max recommended pinion for the setup and it performed terrible.  Once I get the new motor and esc I will go back to the high speed gear set and start experimenting with pinions but for now I am confused about gears.

It's all about attaining maximum efficiency with the motor RPMs.  In the case of the torque tuned you want to aim for a 10 amp draw and 16,000 RPMs.  By changing gearing up you cause excessive resistance resulting in the motor drawing more amps (and heating up) as well as dropping the RPMs.  Think about you riding a 10-speed bike.  You need to choose the right gear for the road you're riding on.  A low gear and it's easy to get rolling but you top out on how fast you can peddle fairly soon.  A high gear makes it really hard to get rolling but eventually you will be able to peddle well and go really fast.  It will take a lot of effort to get the bike rolling though (liken that to the increased amperage draw).  So pick the gearing properly for the motor.

21 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

It's all about attaining maximum efficiency with the motor RPMs.  In the case of the torque tuned you want to aim for a 10 amp draw and 16,000 RPMs.  By changing gearing up you cause excessive resistance resulting in the motor drawing more amps (and heating up) as well as dropping the RPMs.  Think about you riding a 10-speed bike.  You need to choose the right gear for the road you're riding on.  A low gear and it's easy to get rolling but you top out on how fast you can peddle fairly soon.  A high gear makes it really hard to get rolling but eventually you will be able to peddle well and go really fast.  It will take a lot of effort to get the bike rolling though (liken that to the increased amperage draw).  So pick the gearing properly for the motor.

You lost me at 10 amp draw

I have no idea what the sweet spot is for FDR on a brushed motor.  Target FDR on a brushless stock 17.5T motor is 6 (+/- .5).  Clearly that is well below the 10.71 FDR that the Torque Tuned was happy at so...  Unless you switch to brushless motors I'm not much help on this.  :mellow: 

I'd suggest getting yourself a temperature gun and keeping an eye on your motor temps until you dial in your gearing.  Start with a 17T pinion, run it the way and in the same terrain as you normally would for 1 minute and check the temp.  Do that 3-5 times in a row until you see the temp stabilize.  Is the motor <150* ?  Certainly no more than 160*.  If you are well below that temp, try an 18T pinion and test it again.

• Like 1

I found the same thing with 19T pinion on the torque tuned, but the 17T pinion with a 13.5T brushless was equally disappointing. 13.5T with 19T and lipo is loads of fun, and to me not worth going for a bigger pinion/lower FDR for this chassis.

Effigy, do you have a table or something showing suggested FDR for motors? Would be keen to see it if you do

Jonathon,

Some manufacturers post FDR starting points for their motors. 

There are calculators/charts available online to show FDR but it can be much faster to just do the math.

(Spur/Pinion) X IDR=FDR

In many cases Tamiya transmissions have an IDR of 2.6 but check your manual for verification.

You might find this blog post interesting.  http://www.alphalanding.com/rc-track/gear-ratio-rpm-and-top-speed-calculation/

• Like 1

@Effigy3 If you would post a pic of how you got the Gmade shocks on the TT02B.  This is the stock setup with the FRP towers, the blue aluminum spacers and 5mm ball ends.

TT Shock Clearance.jpg

23 hours ago, Macinnis said:

@Effigy3 If you would post a pic of how you got the Gmade shocks on the TT02B.  This is the stock setup with the FRP towers, the blue aluminum spacers and 5mm ball ends.

Sure, here it is:

I won a couple dual ridge/MS bodies off the bay and one was unpainted   I stopped by the LHS this weekend and picked up a can of PS-48 metallic silver.  It actually says right on the cap to back coat with PS-5 black so I bought an extra can of that as well.  I had a can of PS-31 Smoke so I went ahead and masked off the windows and applied that last.  My dual ridge stickers should be in the mailbox on Tuesday.  I hope they match this color, if not they are going on anyway.   I like the way this color looks on this body. 

860AC8FA-0011-44F9-82D0-E7E19267B2FB_zps

Excuse the pink chipped up wheels. I attempted to paint a set of MS wheels with Tamiya TS Black. It didn't hold up well.

Love that colour but horrified that you painted a set of MS wheels. Lol. You would have been better to buy a set of white dark impact wheels and dye them black :-)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Love that colour but horrified that you painted a set of MS wheels. Lol. You would have been better to buy a set of white dark impact wheels and dye them black :-)

The wheels came with the bodies I bought so I gave it a shot.  

a light coat of Tamiya grey primer then spray wheels with Tamiya PS black will sort the wheels out, much tougher

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taffer said:

a light coat of Tamiya grey primer then spray wheels with Tamiya PS black will sort the wheels out, much tougher

PS black or TS?

PS, although it's for lexan it does seem to stick much better, colours generally are more Matt though, it was tip I saw on here a while ago

While I have expressed my dislike for the MS body on multiple occasions, I "accidentally" painted my extra shell the box art colors for the dual ridge. I got the stickers in the mail yesterday and didn't realize that it actually called for PS-48 and decided to go ahead and finish it out.  This ugly shell has grown on me.  I actually like this version  

512B02F5-1AD1-4A10-9D32-634DBA41EB82_zps

28 minutes ago, Macinnis said:

While I have expressed my dislike for the MS body on multiple occasions, I "accidentally" painted my extra shell the box art colors for the dual ridge. I got the stickers in the mail yesterday and didn't realize that it actually called for PS-48 and decided to go ahead and finish it out.  This ugly shell has grown on me.  I actually like this version  

512B02F5-1AD1-4A10-9D32-634DBA41EB82_zps

I totally agree when I ordered mine last year i was looking to buy a neo shell. When i couldnt find one before my build i painted the ms shell and it totally grew on me too