ThunderDragonCy

How to add weight/ballast to a DT03? Anyone got any experience?

Read a DT03 build thread  just now and Super Gripper mentioned needing weight over the front in a DT03. Interested in this as I'm still learning about tuning the handling on mine, but never done it. Anyone got any tips on what to use and how to fix it to the chassis? 

Thanks.

drop some car wheel weights in front, I had a DT02 that had some, I think 15grams but google could have more intel on that

• Like 1

I just use wheel balance weights. Dirt cheap on evilbay or free if you ask your local tyre fitting place if you can have some old ones then all you need to do is use a wee bit of double sided tape to secure them into place. 

Don't waste your money buying rc specific weights they're just rebranded car ones with the hobby tax added on top. 

• Like 1

Fit a front spoiler for extra downforce and then add wheel weights to that, very effective but you need to cut the nose cone off so it's a bit drastic.

I added some weights on the carbon shock tower and also underneath it with glue and zip ties. They do hold pretty well, i lost a few and just replaced  

IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.07114e156c21669ad5a96dbfa259ac6f.JPG

• Like 1

You could also consider letting some of that weight earn its keep by providing added strength into the bargain. I refer of course to using some choice alloy upgrades in place of the plastic parts.

Obviously alloy isn't appropriate everywhere. For example, alloy suspension arms should be avoided at all costs on anything likely to travel at speed. However the piece that joins the two lower arms to the chassis and to each other (C2) can benefit from being made of alloy, as can the little bits that attach the front shock tower to the chassis and carry the fixings for the upper arms (M1 and M3). An alloy servo mount also adds a bit of weight towards the front.

• Like 1

I've just bought 3 Neo Fighter buggies for my kids for this Christmas. Good to know I may need to weigh the front end down

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

You could also consider letting some of that weight earn its keep by providing added strength into the bargain. I refer of course to using some choice alloy upgrades in place of the plastic parts.

Obviously alloy isn't appropriate everywhere. For example, alloy suspension arms should be avoided at all costs on anything likely to travel at speed. However the piece that joins the two lower arms to the chassis and to each other (C2) can benefit from being made of alloy, as can the little bits that attach the front shock tower to the chassis and carry the fixings for the upper arms (M1 and M3). An alloy servo mount also adds a bit of weight towards the front.

I already have two out the three of those but I hadn't thought about adding the C2 for some weight. Always nice to have an excuse to some ano aluminium!