christam

Build The Bigwig

Long time coming with this one, lets build a Bigwig :D

Kit will be built using all supplied parts. Motor is a Bigwig special GT Tuned. No ESC included with the kit.

For this, I'll be using a HW 1060 powered by an 8.4v 7 cell Nimh Plazma battery.

Radio will be Absima CR2S.V2.

Tamiya The Bigwig (2017) 47330

Hobbywing 1060

HPI Plazma 8.4v 3300mah Ni-mh Battery Pack 106180

Absima CR2S V2 2 Channel 2.4GHz Radio Control System

13t & 15t pinion will be experimented with.

Here's the kit & equipment:

DSCF1169_zpsxbqpdvni.jpg

DSCF1171_zpsb3eknrgq.jpg

Lets take a look inside the box.

No blister packs here, although everything is packed very well. Divider down the centre to seperate parts and an additional box which is quite lumpy.

DSCF1174_zpskvhbfyev.jpg

Contents of box removed.

DSCF1176_zpscvcixfu0.jpg

Note the twin antenna whips ^^^ :D

Inside the additional box.

DSCF1179_zpspto26rjo.jpg

All the bag parts, A,B,C,D & E. Motor,shock parts, gearbox parts, oil and servo bits.

DSCF1181_zpswogirtup.jpg

The motor :)

DSCF1183_zpseym0y98y.jpg

Bodyshell, decals and manual.

DSCF1185_zpsqjrs8xuf.jpg

• Like 1

A quick look inside the manual.

DSCF1189_zpstuoesbkw.jpg

DSCF1191_zpsrvyxwnlw.jpg

Moving onto the gearbox.

DSCF1192_zpsqvpdne1v.jpg

DSCF1195_zpscxe0zkkb.jpg

DSCF1197_zpszk6uiqpf.jpg

DSCF1199_zpsadrns7qp.jpg

DSCF1202_zpsescuzmh8.jpg

DSCF1203_zpsbgs97xa4.jpg

DSCF1205_zpshjswx23e.jpg

DSCF1208_zpsonne31ht.jpg

DSCF1211_zpskzgpxqwl.jpg

DSCF1213_zpsdrol55vy.jpg

DSCF1215_zpsoh9ga5e4.jpg

DSCF1218_zpszkgato5k.jpg

DSCF1219_zpsm1rdpq6v.jpg

DSCF1221_zpsoppkukbw.jpg

DSCF1223_zpsif99n2uw.jpg

DSCF1226_zps0knzz9sv.jpg

DSCF1230_zpsah3be31w.jpg

DSCF1232_zpscgw10zzh.jpg

DSCF1234_zpsh039jqm7.jpg

Front gear box.

DSCF1238_zpsmzo3czd6.jpg

DSCF1241_zps9fyqhpdw.jpg

DSCF1243_zpsrplywr6w.jpg

DSCF1248_zpsor1wrll7.jpg

DSCF1250_zpsxz1q3gat.jpg

DSCF1253_zps2wpfi5ox.jpg

DSCF1254_zps8mtt32k1.jpg

DSCF1259_zpsa2u4ynon.jpg

DSCF1261_zpsjg5y085k.jpg

DSCF1262_zpsviukewro.jpg

DSCF1267_zpssrb0kt1t.jpg

DSCF1269_zpslzerk63o.jpg

DSCF1272_zpsk0kuenmq.jpg

Note shaded parts in the manual are not used. Additional parts tree included.

DSCF1275_zps04ksc53s.jpg

DSCF1276_zpsfvds1wjn.jpg

DSCF1280_zpsi9k3maze.jpg

DSCF1281_zpsknmgur2q.jpg

DSCF1283_zpsclhntunm.jpg

DSCF1285_zpstbyux3ry.jpg

DSCF1289_zpsdeh82vvs.jpg

DSCF1291_zpskiyvmeho.jpg

DSCF1293_zpstudbez0j.jpg

DSCF1297_zpsgpivbsre.jpg

DSCF1301_zps4alh04rv.jpg

DSCF1303_zpsw179s1uq.jpg

DSCF1305_zpsrkychifj.jpg

DSCF1308_zpswncgxdpc.jpg

DSCF1312_zpsil0rwazl.jpg

DSCF1313_zpsosghrmha.jpg

DSCF1316_zps629f3gmv.jpg

DSCF1318_zpsuvsphf0q.jpg

• Like 2

Third stint done, getting there.

Fitting the electrics.

DSCF1320_zpsphomfn92.jpg

The switch on the HW1060 is pants really, so off it comes to make way for one that will fit the Tamiya cutout.

DSCF1321_zpsw2qiywho.jpg

DSCF1322_zpshe3ylfnt.jpg

Open her up for a bit of chopping and soldering.

DSCF1324_zpsdrvz7idz.jpg

New switch.

DSCF1326_zps5ztzdb9c.jpg

DSCF1329_zpszfvvljsu.jpg

Steering assembly, very interesting :huh:

DSCF1335_zpsavxteeog.jpg

Spot on as per manual.

DSCF1337_zpswl2ahyze.jpg

DSCF1338_zpskldghhbh.jpg

DSCF1342_zpsfyn05ahh.jpg

DSCF1344_zps3ds59yom.jpg

DSCF1346_zpsne1gcge1.jpg

Exhausts :D

DSCF1353_zpsw6wnjo6p.jpg

DSCF1354_zps8bsl9obw.jpg

Niiiice :rolleyes:

DSCF1356_zpsyniehsyo.jpg

This is where im at.

DSCF1361_zpsm6ukogwj.jpg

Got to go clean up the mess. Will continue tomorrow :006:

• Like 6

20 hours ago, MAD RACER said:

Great to see thanks.

I will buy one soon.

They're great fun to build, my most complex yet, you will love it iff you haven't built one before. No way could I have built this when I was 12 :lol:

At it again today, starting to take shape but not quite finished.

DSCF1362_zpsyjkp3nzt.jpg

DSCF1365_zpsqswvlg4h.jpg

DSCF1367_zpsazkc2rqa.jpg

DSCF1368_zpsga0httfr.jpg

DSCF1371_zpsywaztqgw.jpg

DSCF1375_zpsk1gqx5u2.jpg

DSCF1377_zpsyldfh3fz.jpg

DSCF1379_zpspt55ooje.jpg

DSCF1383_zpsejvbsbhs.jpg

DSCF1386_zpsanya3e2e.jpg

DSCF1387_zpsdclzfeln.jpg

DSCF1389_zpswqbtovqt.jpg

DSCF1391_zpsv4umtqwl.jpg

DSCF1393_zpsgsiscf9d.jpg

• Like 1

The shell :@.@:

DSCF1444_zpsaeyobokx.jpg

DSCF1445_zpslksv2c3b.jpg

DSCF1448_zps5p0juxnj.jpg

DSCF1451_zpsjb9duiip.jpg

DSCF1455_zpse11vewx5.jpg

DSCF1459_zpsrg8indzs.jpg

Stripes were cut out and temporary stuck to the outside of the shell to marke up for the next masking, blue into white.

DSCF1464_zpsioemqeld.jpg

DSCF1466_zpschjqe1md.jpg

DSCF1467_zpsrghbtrxm.jpg

DSCF1473_zpsnfcosorp.jpg

DSCF1477_zpsu9t4tbpv.jpg

The driver :D Never done one before so thought I'd have a crack.

DSCF1486_zpszdd9fiwh.jpg

DSCF1488_zps3yabjx3x.jpg

DSCF1492_zpswfp4prga.jpg

DSCF1501_zpsabocxast.jpg

DSCF1502_zpskt5k33kn.jpg

DSCF1503_zpsodm71fyt.jpg

Just the decals left and assembly of the rollcage.

• Like 3

Great to see.

I have 2 concerns.

1st the Quick run with 8.4v. Mine gave up on it's first run with a torque tune on 3s. In the spec's it says up to 3 s. Being on 8.4 it's lower voltage then 3s. So it should be fine.

2nd I can't believe Tamiya has kept the flimsy piano wire as the centre shaft. They updated the Hot Shot/ Super Shot but on the Boomer and Big Wig it's not the updated dog bone set up.Which is the same so no extra tooling needed.

Really Tamiya!!!

Glad I have a spare set for when I get my Big Wig.

Just my thoughts.

1 minute ago, MAD RACER said:

Great to see.

I have 2 concerns.

1st the Quick run with 8.4v. Mine gave up on it's first run with a torque tune on 3s. In the spec's it says up to 3 s. Being on 8.4 it's lower voltage then 3s.

2nd I can't believe Tamiya has kept the flimsy piano wire as the centre shaft. They updated the Hot Shot/ Super Shot but on the Boomer and Big Wig it's not the updated dog bone set up.

Really Tamiya!!!

Glad I have a spare set for when I get my Big Wig.

Just my thoughts.

I've run a Boomerang with a 1060 on 8.4 with no problems, maybe it's just lipo? higher voltage?

I'm sort of surprised too on the piano wire shaft, would of been nice to implement an updated version into the new kit. The gearbox casings wouldn't need changing. I've also got a vintage Boomerang for which I've fitted the upgraded Hotshot prop shaft and cups.

Great to see all those build pics. 

I really do love this car, brings back so many happy and frustrating memories from my past.  I think I was 12 as well when I got mine.  She ran like a champ, back then, on 8.4v.

There's a few weak points on this car, shame they weren't addressed.  Either way, will always have a soft spot for this car.

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with the bigwig other than the build, but it does stand out as being very technical. Only ran it light on grass and loose gravel but it held up well. I certanley wouldn't look forward to have to replace a few parts, seems like it could be a lot of stripping down :wacko:

Firstly the shell.  Weak points around where the front suspension exits the shell.  Also the nose will start to crack from both sides (left and right) if you have too many collisions.  The rear stuck on mud guards will fall off.  I think I pulled mine off because of the close tolerance to bathtub.  Oh yeah, aerial holes.

Front bumper, there's a little brass piece that fits into the front lower gearbox then onto bumper.  This got damaged due to impacts - threaded.  Also the 2 uprights on the bumper which locates into the chassis is a weak point.

Chassis top plate has 2 hooks at the front for location,  These will snap if bashing a little hard.

The wheel adapters are just weak and will fail.  Shame there were no ally ones.

I also burnt a hole through the speed controller.  :P

• Like 1

She certainly is built like a tank.

When you're doing a rebuild and you forget to replace the rear gearbox  blue upper support or the front gearbox lower brass insert....:(  what a nightmare.

• Like 1

Amazing build log mate, thank you so much. Great photography and nicely broken down into each step, and very educational (for me at least). Love the top down chassis shot with the wheels laid out prior to installing.

• Like 1

One last thing, I strongly advise you to reinstall the 2 steel aerials.  This will help save the shell/vehicle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, M 800STD said:

Firstly the shell.  Weak points around where the front suspension exits the shell.  Also the nose will start to crack from both sides (left and right) if you have too many collisions.  The rear stuck on mud guards will fall off.  I think I pulled mine off because of the close tolerance to bathtub.  Oh yeah, aerial holes.

Front bumper, there's a little brass piece that fits into the front lower gearbox then onto bumper.  This got damaged due to impacts - threaded.  Also the 2 uprights on the bumper which locates into the chassis is a weak point.

Chassis top plate has 2 hooks at the front for location,  These will snap if bashing a little hard.

I had the same issue with the Falcon in the 80's, the nose cone pretty much fell off lol. One of the mud guards is a little loose already. One thing I did notice when placing the shell on was with the motor wires cable tied to the chassis as the manual suggests, it's near on impossible to get the shell on. I cut the cable tie and fed the cables into and under the upper chassis, this kept them away from the shell. To fit the shell now, keep it as far back as possible, insuring the mud guards clear the chassis, then pull it forward into position.

The wheel adaptors. One thing I noticed is they don't grip the pins like all my other tamiyas (mainly on road) fitting them and the wheels was very akward.

22 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Amazing build log mate, thank you so much. Great photography and nicely broken down into each step, and very educational (for me at least). Love the top down chassis shot with the wheels laid out prior to installing.

Many thanks, glad you liked the build. You getting one or got one?

22 hours ago, M 800STD said:

One last thing, I strongly advise you to reinstall the 2 steel aerials.  This will help save the shell/vehicle.

Wasn't to keen on them TBH, but I see your point. Suppose the 2.4ghz antenna could be taped carfully around one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christam said:

Many thanks, glad you liked the build. You getting one or got one?

No I don't have one, and hadn't been planning on getting one.... but now I've seen this....

if you have some time, do a search for Kydex bumper for your car.  A worthy addition to this car and it's indestructible.

I have to admit I didn't suffer any of the above frailties with my 80's Bigwig, the only thing I suffered from was accelerated wear of the plastic discs in the front suspension arms that secure the steel balls to the arms. I'll forego the grease in these when I build mine, which I ordered today. I haven't decided whether to run the standard brushed and Quicrun or a 13.5T brushless trackstar and TBLE02s that I have in my boys Hobao Hyper MiniST (this needs more power and I am thinking I may get him the Chinese Brushless Speedo and a 4T Orion motor). I think the Trackstar will be well suited and reliable with Lipo power, I am thinking I should go down that route, as there is no technigold included.

I will ask though how does it go with the Bigwig special Motor on 8.4V? I always remember they used to move well with a Technigold and 8.4v power (I never had either, just a Demon Bullraced Special Motor of unknown winding and some 7.2v nicds).

Looking forward to having this and the TopForce to build. I'll need to get some new shelves up in my office to display this, the Egress, Wildone and Lunchy. TopForce will be my Historic racer and Neo Scorcher basher, the others will get occasional light running on the school field behind my house.

Carl.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, M 800STD said:

there are alloy wheel adaptors available, I have them for my thundershot (not used them yet because plastic ones have been fine for the last 10 + years!

• Like 1

Arrrrgh this thread caused me some serious withdraw pains.

Just bought one now. So that's 2 new builds for my workshop with the CAT XL been ordered as well.

Oh well I have a original runner and now a re re runner.  They drive so much better then a Super Shot I feel but always drove mine with a little care unlike my Shots in our 13t Class BUT now the Big Wig Re re will be driven to win the class LOL.

BoondallBuggiesXmas2012BigWigJumpslarge.

• Like 3