Jason1145

Tamiya Striker Restoration - Project completed.

It looks fantastic - great work on this one!

If you are stuck for electronics space, you can omit the MSC tray ;)

wl6olf.jpg

23 minutes ago, Grastens said:

It looks fantastic - great work on this one!

If you are stuck for electronics space, you can omit the MSC tray ;)

wl6olf.jpg

Ah that's so nice to use the belly of the beast like that.... I wanted to but my 1060 ESC and Sport Tuned motor both have terribly short motor wires they wouldn't stretch that far so I plumped for where I could just make them meet... with the 1060 on top of the MSC bracket.

Atleast it came in useful for something :)

Also very true - the motor wires on mine are pretty much at the limit for stretch, which makes replacing the motor a bit tricky!

Are you selling your runner Striker, and going to start a new build from spare parts? 

... That's not a bad idea ;)

What are your plans for this one?

This one was supposed to be a runner but now I've invested so much time into it I'm worried about ruining it! For sure I'll switch the old white wheels and old tires back on for its debut run and see how that goes... I deliberately left it with a slow brushed motor and an ESC capable of nimh to try and not go too fast with this... I certainly won't jump it ;)

• Like 1

First run out, some snippets before a main video is edited if the camera worked this time.

BkTPjPb.jpg

bSnFQuF.jpg

• Like 2

1st run video, these foam tyres combined with the dusty car park meant lots of spinning out, but the car all works perfectly and seems Spritely enough on the Sport Tuned motor and 6cell Nimh.

• Like 1

20 odd seconds in and I lent forward in my chair yelling NOOOOO......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

20 odd seconds in and I lent forward in my chair yelling NOOOOO......

Made me go and check 20 seconds in lol...... who said they can't get airbourne?

It has a CRP front bumper you know...... it can handle airbourne now??

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Made me go and check 20 seconds in lol...... who said they can't get airbourne?

It has a CRP front bumper you know...... it can handle airbourne now??

Getting airborne ain't the problem... LANDING!!! Now that's the bit which strikes the fear in the hearts and minds of all Striker & Sonic Fighter owners. :D:D:D 

• Like 2

I'm now after a Futaba FX10 for a runner as I'd like to have both these chassis side by side, and the fact you can buy lexan FX10 cockpit shells so they can take a roll over if unfortunate enough.

And here it is....... I have finally achieved the goal I set out with this restoration.

s4EMRCF.jpg

AfhBseA.jpg

H35QHEB.jpg

1XIUIZB.jpg

• Like 3

Reading this old thread has inspired me to pull my old Striker out of my parents basement and bring it back to life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scott_CT said:

Reading this old thread has inspired me to pull my old Striker out of my parents basement and bring it back to life.

Good stuff Scott... hope you finish yours soon I love this cars looks!

This one of mine has been sitting in a box since I finished  it... what a waste, but still makes me happy knowing it's there ;)

Have you thought about trying to dye the blue motor guard/bumper and other blue bits in black? That would really put an exclamation point on the restore! 

Either way - nice job mate! Underrated car.

Cheers

Darryn

• Like 2

On 4/7/2017 at 2:56 PM, Jason1145 said:

Bought this second hand and absolutely love the look of it, there will be lots of work to be done, some great ideas are in store for it and any help along the way is appreciated.

As it came to me, very dirty and yellowed, smelled a bit iffy too..... ahhhh musty!

WYdCsPW.jpg

N75M1xa.jpg

60yUqPc.jpg

GqW2KU9.jpg

Before any work is done I researched the badword out of it and found the front end s weak and it can be strengthened with a CRP front bumper....

Thanks to Grastens who guided me through the ins and outs of fitting this as it is not meant for the Striker but rather for a Kyosho FX10 and the holes line up slightly differently to the Striker.

I needed to elongate one of the metal braces holes to line up with the chassis, and even the plastic bumper needed adjustment too as the two holes pre drilled were out of line and would've meant a bent bumper once installed.

CRP Front bumper brace

PPETJHa.jpg

QOjSDNW.jpg

ufJrEkO.jpg

VZEkK3v.jpg

pelIpfi.jpg

qjo5rRd.jpg

fzyaiqq.jpg

Has anybody given any thought to filing/grinding down the metal plate on the CRP front bumper so that it better conforms to the shape of the a Striker chassis?

• Like 2

Still waiting for @Pintopower to show us all what he has in store for this chassis!

Hopefully he can calculate a nice 3d printed brace that retains the front bumper and strengthens the front at the same time! 😊

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 10:37 AM, VagabondStarJXF said:

You've received yours already? When did you order yours? I put an order in 3 weeks ago and nothing has arrived yet. :( 

Quick question regarding these hubs.  I am seeing them offered for bot a 5mm shaft and a 4.2mm shaft.  Any idea which is the correct size?

starting to think I am going to need to order a micrometer

15 hours ago, Scott_CT said:

Quick question regarding these hubs.  I am seeing them offered for bot a 5mm shaft and a 4.2mm shaft.  Any idea which is the correct size?

starting to think I am going to need to order a micrometer

You mean the alloy ones from Pargu Store? I've no idea what the diameter of the shaft is but they fit perfect for the Striker if you buy the same ones, what others are you seeing?

2 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

You mean the alloy ones from Pragu Store? I've no idea what the diameter of the shaft is but they fit perfect for the Striker if you buy the same ones, what others are you seeing?

This seller has them listed for both large and small shaft

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264078225863

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264078227778

3 minutes ago, Scott_CT said:

Yikes so he does!

Ive no idea mate as it's news to me about these different sizes and I can't measure my own shaft as that's just a double entendre waiting to..... darn it!

I can't even find the link on the Pargu Store website now for the hubs but they were sold as Fox parts

https://www.ebay.ie/str/pmg828?_pgn=4

I should be able to find a micrometer pretty easily and will measure the axle shafts.  Once I have my answer I will order the appropriate ones.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, Scott_CT said:

I should be able to find a micrometer pretty easily and will measure the axle shafts.  Once I have my answer I will order the appropriate ones.

I picked up a cheap digital caliper today and put it to the test.  My axels are measuring at 4.95mm so I think it is safe to say the 5mm hubs are the way to go.

*Edit*. I decided to go with the blue ones like that you have as the silver ones are too pricey once I factor in shipping.  As an added plus I ordered a full set of alloy wheels from the same seller.