Pintopower

MIP Hotshot Ball Diff Talks - Data Collection

Chris, you are awesome. I have sent this information off to MIP and we should be seeing the PreSales campaign start soon if not this week.

Ok, question from MIP. Does anyone know what the dogbone length (center to ball to center) is on the ReRe Boomerang? I know that the front and rears are the same length but do they match to the front or rears of the RERE Hotshot? Are the ball ends on the dog bones the same diameter as the HS rere? Thanks!

Alright, here goes,

As with the VINTAGE BOOMER, the single dogbone configureation used the same length as the REAR dogbones from the SuperShot, just cross checked the RE RE HotShot with the RE RE BOOMER and both wheel axle and gearbox joint part numbers were the same, so with that VINTAGE info added to the new part numbers, I am going to go with once again the REAR dogbone length is at all four corners of the re re BOOMER and YES the dogbone diameter at the bone ends will be the same as the HotShot re re, I think it is near 8mm and the more common "modern" size is 6mm?? You would know better on that with your measuring thingys and such.

It still baffles me just WHERE Tamiya was able to keep the INCREASED length dogbone up front and not have binding occur, but I am no engineer, I just pay attention to details and measure things and look at them side by side.

Hope that helps out more, I WANT 3 sets of these things please.

when I had the boomerang rere in 2008 originally, I noticed the longer Tshot dog bones did have slight binding at droop, It's better installing the shafts (shorter at front) of the super hot shot

didn't look like any mods were done on the rerere boomerang (third time around ) to address this???

Man this is all so confusing. I wish I could send MIP the whole darn series. 

MIP is preparing is preparing a press release for the new Hotshot Series Super Ball Diff set and they have asked if I can get some nice images of a Hotshot. Please let me know if you would like to provide me some as I do not even own a HS and the one that I had sent there is not up to the, how shall we say it, the standards needed for such an application.

I got a ton of images from Iconic RC and Matteo's RC Movies! We are moving forward people! 

On 12/22/2017 at 5:24 AM, Hobbimaster said:

Wow, Where I have I been? Never knew about this till you posted a video on your YouTube channel. Count me in for at least 4 sets.

Awesome! The presales goes live this week. 

20 hours ago, RcBob said:

I'm in for a front and rear ball diff

Great news!

So i needed a little more Boomerang and Super Sabre info. 

1. Comparison between RERE and original Boomerang front and rear dog bones

a. Ball end diameter

b. Center to center of ball end length in MM

c. End to end length in MM

2. Super Sabre has the same chassis as Boomerang or HS? If the dogbones are unique. then,

a. Ball end diameter

b. Center to center of ball end length in MM

c. End to end length in MM

Thanks! I will let you know when the presales is live. I just looked over the splash page and all looks good. 

Super sabre is the same as the boomerang.....apart from

Blue parts are now red

Some of these red parts are different..ie rear shock tower

Super sabre body (obviously) driver attached to body

Original super sabre came with lexan chassis cover, which is now also inc with re-re boomerang

I think that's it......

Boomerang & super sabre have the same dog bones front & back AND they are the one's from the Rear of the supershot .

Same size out drives & axles . So i would think it's the same as hotshot rears , IN length & ball size . As we all know

hotshot has alloy centre on shalfs , The fronts are shorter of course & not for boomerang , supersabre , as they had

different streering hubs . Same as re re , there was two set's of streering hubs , One on tree & one not on tree . 

• Like 1

Hi Pintopower/all,

I don’t have these models but I did buy parts for Super Sabre, HS, SS, Boomerang to build a HS2. I did this using the manuals and a few websites/forums written by avid Tamiya RC collectors and enthusiasts.

For example, I found these sites helpful:

1. http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/classic-tamiya-rc/43-analysis-of-individual-cars

2. http://www.ultimatetamiya.com/buggies/hot-shot-re/

3. https://tamiyabase.com/articles/46-technical/176-distinguishing-the-hotshot-supershot-and-hotshot-ii

4. there are many others

You can also find and compare parts and their corresponding references numbers in the manuals from:

1. http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

2. https://tamiyabase.com/downloads/category/34-tamiya-parts-instructions

3. Any other site that turns up with a Google search for the car model number, part number etc.

I hope this helps. It’s obvious, but it’s how I did it with high success. 

Like everyone else, I’m keen to buy these. When can we expect the pre-sales? I saw your post Dec 22 that read “this week” which was last week. 

Thanks and Happy New Year 

@pintopower 

All the manuals are in my box link I sent you if you need to browse them

(Link originally for varicom panda!)

2 minutes ago, Champ85 said:

Got the MIP pre-sales email today, however it is impossible to order because the website says "low stock" and refuses to allow any orders.

http://www.miponline.com/store/mip17160.html

I sent MIP an email so hopefully it'll be fixed by the time you see this.

So did i & was about to do a post about it & you beat me to it lol . 

$115. Bucks , hope we get it cheaper here , like last time . Just need to wait for @Pintopower ! .

• Like 1

Been looking forward to this, but the pricing isn't too compelling. We were able to pre-order the Blackfoot diffs at $42/each, so was hoping to see this in the $80-85 range. In for 1... hopefully :unsure:

Last time the pre-order had a discount already on the web site calculated based on how many days were left in the offering.

This time there is no pre-order discount.  Disappointing, but MIP is probably struggling a bit due to the general downturn in the hobby and the recent Hobbico discontinuation of distribution which was probably a decent contributor to their bottom line.

That said, I pre-ordered 3 sets, 2 extra diff gears, 1 dogbone set and 1 diff rebuild kit (which is apparently the same as the Blackfoot rebuild kit).  And I only have 1 Hotshot built.  (and 1 NIB rere Hotshot, 2 NIB rere Super Hotshots).

Sorry guys, I have been and still am incredibly sick. I completely slept through yesterday and barely have the energy to write now so this will be short.

So there is no presales discount this item BUT they said you were going to be getting something at no charge for the presales orders. I will email them. As for individual sets, I can ask. I do not see any issue with that. Please splatter this everywhere to get the word out! Ill be back soon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quandry said:

is that $115 for a pair or just for 1?

There are two diffs in the package to outfit one vehicle.

What's the effect on the vehicle or driving performance if only a ball diff is installed at the rear while keeping the gear diff at the front?

2 hours ago, kyosho1 said:

What's the effect on the vehicle or driving performance if only a ball diff is installed at the rear while keeping the gear diff at the front?

Funny you mention this. In my past, racing the HotShot was what I wanted to do, there was an outdoor track that disolved before I could get there(old enough to drive myself there) and another that was too organized(had to be a member or the national RC organization to drive there) and finally an indoor oval track that I could have a go at it. Well, since I was a novice, I started in that class of mash up cars and drivers and as I became a bit better than the children in the heat, well I looked into STOCK class, problem was there weren't enough racers to break out a full Stock 4WD heat, so I had to either get a mod motor and try my luck, or go into STOCK 2WD, that meant I had to get another car altogether which I couldn't afford or they would allow me to pull the driveshaft out of my HotShot to compete. I did exactly that, pulled the prop shaft, left the geared diff and dogbones up front(as best as I can rememeber) and I bought a Thorp Ball diff for the rear gearbox. That being said, I can say the car had a distinct amount of jump off the line with the ball diff in it mated to the engine versus the gear diff with the normal greases I was using back then, so, I think you will find it has more punch on the line and a bit more predictable traction versus the gear diff, I imagine how the muscle car guys had with positraction versus the normal rear ends in the rear wd cars of the 60s and 70s. My two cents, I am going for a set, but secretly, might just install the rear diff and leave the front alone and see if I can tell any differences, trouble is, I better stock up on gearboxes as well as get a car or two running first. ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crash Cramer said:

Funny you mention this. In my past, racing the HotShot was what I wanted to do, there was an outdoor track that disolved before I could get there(old enough to drive myself there) and another that was too organized(had to be a member or the national RC organization to drive there) and finally an indoor oval track that I could have a go at it. Well, since I was a novice, I started in that class of mash up cars and drivers and as I became a bit better than the children in the heat, well I looked into STOCK class, problem was there weren't enough racers to break out a full Stock 4WD heat, so I had to either get a mod motor and try my luck, or go into STOCK 2WD, that meant I had to get another car altogether which I couldn't afford or they would allow me to pull the driveshaft out of my HotShot to compete. I did exactly that, pulled the prop shaft, left the geared diff and dogbones up front(as best as I can rememeber) and I bought a Thorp Ball diff for the rear gearbox. That being said, I can say the car had a distinct amount of jump off the line with the ball diff in it mated to the engine versus the gear diff with the normal greases I was using back then, so, I think you will find it has more punch on the line and a bit more predictable traction versus the gear diff, I imagine how the muscle car guys had with positraction versus the normal rear ends in the rear wd cars of the 60s and 70s. My two cents, I am going for a set, but secretly, might just install the rear diff and leave the front alone and see if I can tell any differences, trouble is, I better stock up on gearboxes as well as get a car or two running first. ;)

Thanks for the reply. 

I am also think of getting a set but that means I also have to get spare front and rear gearbox in case I want to revert back to original and put the ball diff in my other buggies (boomerang, hot shot, super shot & bigwig).

The video at MIP shows that there is a need to drill a big hole on the gearbox to fit the bearings.

I see this comes with replacement dog bones too.   Can anyone make out what's different with them?  Looks to me one side is larger.  I'm hoping if this set sells well, they'll see the need for CVD's too.

Does this kit actually create two identical ball diffs, or are the front and rear using different solutions? Looking at the parts listing on the product page, it only appears to include enough parts to build a single ball diff, namely:

• 14 - Bearing, 3/32" Chrome Steel Balls
  • 6 - Bearing, 5/64" Chrome Steel Balls
  • 2 - Diff Ring, Slash
  • 1 - Diff Spring, 1/4 x 9/32"
  • 1 - Diff Screw, Shoulder, 2-56 x .925, Assoc

Given the components in a MIP ball diff, you would need twice the number of parts to build two differentials?