Pintopower

MIP Hotshot Ball Diff Talks - Data Collection

I endorse this idea, but have no chassis and little knowledge of the Hotshot series. Nonetheless, I am confident it will be great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matman said:

Also Super Hotshot 58517 .

So how is it coming along @Pintopower , what else would you like to know ?.  

I can't  believe no one else is interested in it !!  . Come on TC . We need this to happen , great for Vintage racing &

just your general bashing I'm sure . It will fit many cars 4wd hotshot series buggies & 

they did a great job on the ORV series ball diff . Come on MIP :)  ,     

Well talking to MIP is going great but to be honest, the response from the forums and FB pages has been miserable. I mean it looks like about 6 people want this and to move forward with a product that will not move will destroy any future hope of MIP making anything for the Tamiya community, let alone vintage stuff. I am still trying to get some fires burning. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pintopower said:

Well talking to MIP is going great but to be honest, the response from the forums and FB pages has been miserable. I mean it looks like about 6 people want this and to move forward with a product that will not move will destroy any future hope of MIP making anything for the Tamiya community, let alone vintage stuff. I am still trying to get some fires burning. 

I bought three full sets of the Monster Beetle diff + spares.

I have several models with the HotShot gearbox. And while it would be cool if a ball diff came out, for this car I just don't really need it as there's no weakness in the gear diff and I'm not running anywhere I'd need the performance. 

So best of luck on this one, but I guess there may be more like me. :(

47 minutes ago, Yonez said:

I bought three full sets of the Monster Beetle diff + spares.

I have several models with the HotShot gearbox. And while it would be cool if a ball diff came out, for this car I just don't really need it as there's no weakness in the gear diff and I'm not running anywhere I'd need the performance. 

So best of luck on this one, but I guess there may be more like me. :(

See I agree with you as they are not "needed" like they are on the BF. Plus, you would need two per car at $60 or so each and although that is about the same price as one of the terrible vintage Thorps, I just don't think that we can get the number of people that we need to back this. 

So we are dead in the water :( . Great , the one thing i was hoping for !! . O-well life sux's . 

I didn't "need" the ORV ball diff , but i got 5 ! . So things can move on & hope to get other stuff made .

We have a chance to get a ball diff for the shot series , that will change the performance of the handeling .

Well for me anyway . If it don't go ahead , looks like i will have to spend $120 on ONE diff & then get

the other later , that's if i need two . but this will be very expensive & i would have got 4 diffs for that .

two cars can be done or 4 cars could have it in the rear diff . 

Well thanks @Pintopower for giving it a go . Just hope some time later , this can be done .

I can see where a lack of interest in vintage racing is NOT helping us and it is still my opinion that if the HS and others were set up say like a Top Force, well then you only need ONE ball diff in the rear and the gear diff in the front and if someone would remake a one way bearing for the HS, well now we are are talking right??? I too would have loved to see this project, hope it doesn't die, but it is because the cars are not getting thrashed out there on the track in massive numbers that this project won't go. EVEN though some  6 different cars were potentially going to benefit from making a single ball diff, it is a lot to ask someone to throw down $60 some odd for one part that is perhaps not needed to go out and have some fun. I really can't wait to get myself back to building the ORV as I intend to build one with the MIP diff and one without to see how they perform side by side

I practically have more Hotshots than fingers, so would like to see this move forward. (However, it's really only my re-re's that get driven hard, since I don't feel as bad when I break them!)

I'm in for 4 of these if we can get this off the ground. I've been very happy with my MIP ORV diffs, so just take my money already :D

• Like 1

I've started trying to drum up some interest on Facebook. A couple of people have chimed in so far (I only posted yesterday) so I'm hoping there'll be more. What sort of numbers do we need to get the green light? As we have 2 diffs per Hotshot I'm hoping the numbers should be easy to gain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

I've started trying to drum up some interest on Facebook. A couple of people have chimed in so far (I only posted yesterday) so I'm hoping there'll be more. What sort of numbers do we need to get the green light? As we have 2 diffs per Hotshot I'm hoping the numbers should be easy to gain.

But twice the cost. Would that come in somewhere in the region of £50 per car? I'm certainly interested (yet to touch the Hotshot in my garage - been waiting on back-ordered parts since november last year...)

31 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

But twice the cost.

True.

I'm really hoping that the cost will come down with the fact that there's a need for two diffs on this model. £50 per car would definitely be better than £50 per diff.

11 hours ago, Pintopower said:

See I agree with you as they are not "needed" like they are on the BF. Plus, you would need two per car at $60 or so each and although that is about the same price as one of the terrible vintage Thorps, I just don't think that we can get the number of people that we need to back this. 

This is my feeling, and why I wouldn't buy one. There is nothing particularly wrong with the standard diffs.

I'm afraid I didn't buy MIP's ORV diff either. The price of the diff was ok, but to fit it to my Frog I'd also need to buy the CVs, and with both together the cost is more than the cost of the car.

13 hours ago, VagabondStarJXF said:

Yes that is very true but.....Twice the cost.

The complaints about the $60 diff is totally crazy when you think about what the ball diff by thorp cost in the 1980's. Couple that to the fact this is not made in China but the US. If you want me to contact a Chinese CM and have some pumped out for $20 each I can easily do that. Say goodbye to MIP & quality. This is why I cannot deal with the cost bit. You want it good or cheap? You tell me. When it comes to the HS, you are in a pickle, though I agree with Crashcramer, most would want 2 diffs and at $120 per car, that is getting crazy. I really wish this would have taken off but the most important thing here is that we know it would not have been a success. Remember, a single failure on our end means companies like MIP will not stick out their necks. This does not mean the project is over, it just means we need to look at other ideas and options like some kind of universal diff that needs a secondary part to work in a HS or a different secondary part to work in a CW01, etc. If we had a big group of cars that would all accept something like that then maybe we have something. Or, if there is a car with a catastrophic problem are *cough - king cab * and the volume we need, then there is another thing we can do * cough - blackfoot telescopic axles *.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pintopower said:

Yes that is very true but.....Twice the cost.

The complaints about the $60 diff is totally crazy when you think about what the ball diff by thorp cost in the 1980's. Couple that to the fact this is not made in China but the US. If you want me to contact a Chinese CM and have some pumped out for $20 each I can easily do that. Say goodbye to MIP & quality. This is why I cannot deal with the cost bit. You want it good or cheap? You tell me. When it comes to the HS, you are in a pickle, though I agree with Crashcramer, most would want 2 diffs and at $120 per car, that is getting crazy. I really wish this would have taken off but the most important thing here is that we know it would not have been a success. Remember, a single failure on our end means companies like MIP will not stick out their necks. This does not mean the project is over, it just means we need to look at other ideas and options like some kind of universal diff that needs a secondary part to work in a HS or a different secondary part to work in a CW01, etc. If we had a big group of cars that would all accept something like that then maybe we have something. Or, if there is a car with a catastrophic problem are *cough - king cab * and the volume we need, then there is another thing we can do * cough - blackfoot telescopic axles *.

Y'know what? I agree with you. Quality first. It's a shame that this diff isn't going to go ahead but if it paves the way for more 'immediately necessary' upgrades then I'm with you. I'll let the guys on Facebook know the sad news.

When I bought my first Hot Shot a few years ago, the first thing that hit me was where is a CVD option for it . I did a search and found many people on forums asking the same thing. Some have found CVD's from other cars to sort of fit out of desperation, but still not a great match (I tried). I think the Hot Shot series buggy's are in need of a MIP CVD for Hot Shot. The dog bones are just not cutting it for such a great buggy! If you can get MIP to produce CVD's for the Hot Shot series buggies I would buy many for my 2X Hot Shot, 2X Super Shot, and 2X Boomerang. They are all the rerelease kits. The gears seam strong enough though a ball diff would be nice, but, to have a direct fit CVD shaft for all four corners would be just awesome. I can't believe there is nobody producing them for the Hot Shot.

PintoPower, what do you think about CVD shafts for the Hot Shot series buggies if the diff doesn't work out?      Steve

As much as I'd like to see CVDs for the Hotshot cars, I think it's generally accepted that DF-02 uni's are a drop-in upgrade for the re-re's.

Ok, thank you for the reply frameskip, but I thought the DF-02 uni's are to long for the front of the Hotshot. I read they need to be a few MM shorter to work for the front. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Lucci said:

Ok, thank you for the reply frameskip, but I thought the DF-02 uni's are to long for the front of the Hotshot. I read they need to be a few MM shorter to work for the front. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Change the front hubs to super sabre or hotshot2 or TA01/02 . 

Well, I am bringing this thread back. After some talks with MIP and me trying to explain why this was not a good idea, some ideas were had and some cost saving methods came to mind. In fact, they have requested a Hotshot and a FAV for testing. It looks like the $60 target price would be different for the Hotshot, so much different that peoples cost concerns would be resolved. Again, this is still early but I wanted to say that it looks good so far. I will need your help if this hits the crowd funding stage like the BF diff did to pass on the word. Right now MIP is very excited to be building upgrades for the vintage cars and I am not going to be the one to get in the way of that. You should hear what else we have in mind....

• Like 6

I bought the MIP diff for my frog but I am still rebuilding it. It is a well made piece of kit though. I own a HS2 and a SHS and will get a HS one day. This diff will be in big demand. Count me in

Cool project.  I think if there were some prototype units made up and demod on Youtube you could build a nice order book.

I'd love a ball diff for my wild one. I cant see the stock one lasting too long with its current brushless set up. 

WOOHOO! I'm was hoping this would work out . So i hope you are not teasing us @Pintopower .

So thanks MIP & pintopower 

On 5/23/2017 at 7:05 PM, Quandry said:

Cool project.  I think if there were some prototype units made up and demod on Youtube you could build a nice order book.

Well I suspect that with the success of the ORV diff, the prototype will be made once there is demand generated. Kind of a chicken and egg deal. 

On 5/23/2017 at 8:48 PM, Static Age said:

I'd love a ball diff for my wild one. I cant see the stock one lasting too long with its current brushless set up. 

Yeah brushless will not help the life of the stocker!

On 5/23/2017 at 9:38 PM, matman said:

WOOHOO! I'm was hoping this would work out . So i hope you are not teasing us @Pintopower .

So thanks MIP & pintopower 

Well I hope I am not teasing either. I am sending them a new HS and a vintage one (better inform CrashCramer as they are his) and a FAV. We shall see.

• Like 2

I meant to reply to this soon and forgot. Anyway we have made progress. MIP was sent a RERE HS and an original (both thanks to @Crash Cramer and are now looking at the installation. it looks like the price can be dropped a bit lower due to the BF's already existing tooling. I will tell you this, it looks really good right now....

• Like 9