Munchbox

Talk to me about the Tamiya Blackfoot

So in a strange twist of fate I won an auction for a vintage Blackfoot roller on the same day my DT03 kit showed up (this is me trying to take it easy on buying RC cars, received my 2nd and simultaneously bought my 3rd) :rolleyes:

It doesn't include a body. What will fit? Obviously BF and MB, are there any good lexan truck bodies that are cheap and will fit? 

I understand that there are known troubles with the rear end in this car can anyone expand on this problem and the usual fix?

Are there any other known weak spots on this chassis?

I know that the Super Blackfoot has upright rear shocks. Is it just a different rear tower that makes this possible or other different parts? Where can I get parts to change to upright rear shocks? Is there a noticeable performance difference between upright and horizontal shocks on this chassis?

What's the lowest turn brushed motor you guys are running on this chassis?

Any other noteable worthy upgrades? 

SuperBlackfoot runs wishbone suspension, no longer trailing arm.

Plethora of shells fit ok, look for something around 240-250mm wheelbase. Brat, Scorcher, anything for SWB CC01 like Pajero Rally or MTW :)

Oh I didn't know the rear suspension had been upgraded for Super Blackfoot.. both have double wishbone front right?

Parma did a polycarbonate body for the Blackfoot #10244

Hi,

I recently ordered this one for 24 EUR + 4 EUR shipping from Austria to Germany. Can't say anything about the quality but from the pic it seems to be pretty decent. To place an order I had to write them an e-mail asking for the price and shipping fees. Allegedly the shipping will take some 2 to 3 weeks.

You'll find a link to their site below. The body is Ford Pick-Up #20061

20061.jpg

I've seen #10244 but I can't find anyplace in the US who has them in stock.. I see the Bush Devil poly body for sale on eBay and multiple *gasp* Stampede bodies for cheap.. they're about the same length, Pede is am inch narrower give or take.. not sure about the wheelbase though

Good luck finding the Parma body!  Since the re-re BF came out, those things have evaporated!  I have one for my Bush Devil and it looks and works great.

There is a lexan Bush Devil body being sold by [company which will not be named here] on EBAY.  Just do a search for "bush devil body".  I can't vouch for how well it fits or looks.

Good first hop-up for the BF would be to replace the original shocks with new 50520 CVAs.  Rebuild the tranny and replace any worn parts - the BF has a notorious tranny...  Start reading up on hop-ups on the tranny.

Terry

• Like 1

No need to go chasing expensive vintage BushDevil (it's always been lexan) body set, it's currently being used on LandFreeder!

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks close enough to a Furd Ranger if you've forgotten your glasses.

• Like 1

I got it just before the re-re, so maybe it wasn't selling out at that point, but I imagine if Tower doesn't have them, they will have them on order.

The stickers are repros from the UK.

Cool so I have plenty of options for the body now ;)

I'll probably upgrade the shocks to oil dampers almost immediately. I'm planning to tear down the entire car and rebuild.. I'll take extra care to inspect the tranny. Any mods to help with this? Metal gears perhaps?

Anybody know anything about the SBF rear shock tower?

1 hour ago, Munchbox said:

Anybody know anything about the SBF rear shock tower?

The SBF rear shock tower only fits onto the SBF tranny housing.

If you want to improve the rear shock mounts on the BF, there are some old school choices (CRP and JG Mfg.), and there are some new aluminum DIY stuff on EBAY.  The JG set up gives you a variety of lengths and angles to play with.

Terry

MIP make an uprated ball diff for the Blackfoot

Theres a member on jere that does all sorts of hop up stuff for the chassis on his shapeways site. Ampro. Suspension front and rear etc. If its an original Blackfoot and it was cheap have fin with it til it gives you yrouble then worry about gearbox and dog bones. 

I'll run it when it arrives and if the tranny is having issues I'll rebuild.. If it runs fine stock I may leave it that way for awhile and enjoy it before upgrading.

I've found that the ECX Amp MT body would be a pretty good fit. I still want to see about a Stampede body for it though. I wanted a Stampede and a Blackfoot so this could be a fun crossover if it fits well. From the measurements it seems close. Of course I will still paint and sticker it like a classic Blackfoot. :lol:

Does anyone out there have access to these cars to test fit it? A picture would be much appreciated.. :D

I thinnk I have a Raptor stampede body. ill try to remeber tomorrow to test it on my super Blackfoot

17 hours ago, Dojo Dave said:

I thinnk I have a Raptor stampede body. ill try to remeber tomorrow to test it on my super Blackfoot

That would be awesome Dave. I'm looking at the stock Pede body but i should be able to compare pictures to see how close the wheel wells will be. I'm also going to try a trip to the lhs in hopes that they will have a Pede body I can test fit

That would be awesome Dave. I'm looking at the stock Pede body but i should be able to compare pictures to see how close the wheel wells will be. I'm also going to try a trip to the lhs in hopes that they will have a Pede body I can test fit

Here ya go

20170411_205343.jpg

• Like 1

20170411_210032_zps7yolvdpz.jpg

Heres another. 

• Like 1

Hey that doesn't look too bad at all! I'd venture to say that the Raptor she'll shares the same stretched look on the Stampede as the standard body, which actually looks a lot better on the Blackfoot chassis because of the slightly shorter wheelbase. The Stampede body has always looked too short for the Stampede :rolleyes:

How do the body mounts line up? If I popped a couple holes would it work out?

Sorry to jump in randomly but does Anyone know the length of the Blackfoot front  wheel axle? Does it mount in a similar way to the Hornet front axle with a pin going through the C hub and axle to hold it in place?

4 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Sorry to jump in randomly but does Anyone know the length of the Blackfoot front  wheel axle? Does it mount in a similar way to the Hornet front axle with a pin going through the C hub and axle to hold it in place?

Not sure I'd have to compare. 

15 minutes ago, Dojo Dave said:

Not sure I'd have to compare. 

If you could Dave that would be very helpful, I'm ready to buy a set if I can find out the length and if they mount the same way.

I'm going to assume the Hornet you have is a Re-Re...

Yes, the BF axle (Tamiya #19805188) will fit through the Hornet C-Hub hole and will secure in place with the Hornet king pins (3x22mm).  I have done this to my Grasshopper.

This is a great way to extend the front axles of your Hornet (or in my case, the GH) so you can add BF 2.2 wheels.

Terry

15 hours ago, Munchbox said:

Hey that doesn't look too bad at all! I'd venture to say that the Raptor she'll shares the same stretched look on the Stampede as the standard body, which actually looks a lot better on the Blackfoot chassis because of the slightly shorter wheelbase. The Stampede body has always looked too short for the Stampede :rolleyes:

How do the body mounts line up? If I popped a couple holes would it work out?

The bodies come without holes. The rear post alignment seems a little short in the Raptor! Maybe if the body posts were flipped you'd have a better mounting position. The f250 body there are no issues just drill and go. Im pretty sure anyway.