ThunderDragonCy

Tips for cva on rising fighter to stop bounce

Bit of advice needed. Got a rising fighter for the kids which I put my rebuilt cvas on keeping the kit springs as it is so light. Despite having 3 hole pistons and one down to 30wt oil it still doesn't return well and the front and still bounces like mad under power. It's a funny little buggy but would like it to be a little less wayward. Do I go even lighter on the oil? If so how light? Or drill out the piston holes? 

Cheers!

• Like 1

No idea, but I'm interested in the answers. Suspension is one of those dark arts to me, I'm surprised Hogwarts didn't have a class

• Like 1

There's not much you can do about the rear suspension bounce on the Rising Fighter, even with oil dampers. For the front, a double wishbone conversion helps to cure bump steer.

If you want to do modifications, have a look at Pintopower's AMPRO 3D printed parts in the TC designs sections.

Yes @pintopower does a great rear suspension setup which eliminates 99% of the bounce (its installed on my RF in showroom)

He also does a front setup to tackle front sagginess!😜

I have got the @pintopower rear suspension shock mount but hasn't helped much. I'm convinced it needs lighter damping. I'll live with the rear of that just bounces. Might just have to experiment with the front opening out the damper holes. Don't want to get the 4 link suspension upgrade as the kids regularly bash this into kerbs so I want the strength of the abs. Just think with the right damper setup it could be improved.

A bit of weight in the rear could also help to get the shocks into compression, but I haven't tried that on my Hornet. Anything that makes the damper react faster (by less dampening through very thin oil and large piston disc holes) and super soft springs (not that easily available in the desired length).

On what surfaces do you run and where do you experience most or no bounce? I'm just asking cause e.g. lawn will make every buggy bounce. My buggies feel most comfortable on dirt and gravel.

Still, I wouldn't expect to get completely rid of the bounce, this is due to the weight of the gearbox not being sprung mass. Unless you heavily convert your Rising Fighter to a double wishbone rear end...

• Like 1

I generally run on tarmac with the RF, pinto's rear mounts help hugely stopping the gearbox clattering noise and removing most of the bounce

its a buggy where this is and should be part of the charm and not considered something to get rid of!😃

Hence because pinto's mod makes such a big difference I have a plain RF to experience how it should run

Oil shocks are wasted by installing on this because of all the unsprung weight it has, a better upgrade than oil shocks is to get a DT-02!😄

(I prefer the RF!)