Sign in to follow this  
Algy1

XR311

Found this lot at a boot sale last weekend for £20 along with lots of bits and pieces. Going to be a long rebuild I fancy. First things first... can any one tell me what wheel I need to get and new tyres which would fit existing wheels.

2017-04-12 11.15.28.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Fuijo. Will look for vintage items first but probably end up with new.

Quite a few body parts needed by the look of it ,unless you got more with it ? ,  so re-re is probs the way to go with this , tyres will probs be rotten / split - the 3 you have look flat spotted from standing on them for years in a shed or loft ;)

• Like 1

It should maybe be pointed out that the re-release tires come without Good Year logos. Being relatively recently made, their condition will of course be much better than that of old original tires, regardless of being unused and carefully stored. So for running, the re-release tires will be the cheaper and better alternative. If you want original tires for authenticity, the original tire set isn't particularly rare or difficult to source, but an alternative is to take them from one of the Tamiya Educational Series kits that came with them. Needless to say, newer production of these also have tires without the Good Year logo, but earlier production kits are relatively easy to find.

As for other parts, many of the screw dimensions of the original are different from the re-release, so many chassis parts aren't directly interchangeable. Also, there are some differences between them, most noteably the plastic torsion bar springs on the original versus steel "blade" springs on the re-release. Body parts are quite close to identical though, and though some have started pushing the spare parts for the re-release up, virtually all parts can be found at reasonable prices with a little effort and patience.

• Like 1

Thanks Kev and Mokei. As you say some updating will be necessary but I will try and keep it as original as possible.