magnumb

Battery That Fits ORV

Not sure you could make that work as the motor might be too close to body to add spacers to get pinion set right.

I grabbed a Holmes Hobbie 21T 550 can and really like these motors. They have shorter shaft and bearing on one end.

7 hours ago, magnumb said:

Not sure you could make that work as the motor might be too close to body to add spacers to get pinion set right.

I grabbed a Holmes Hobbie 21T 550 can and really like these motors. They have shorter shaft and bearing on one end.

Did you get the pro 21t 550 or the sport one? I see one is $20 and green label and the other is $60 blue label

53 minutes ago, magnumb said:

$20 one and I take off the metal ring which reduces the torque.

Thanks I ordered one, should be here tomorrow. No way i was paying $60 for a brushed motor 

Nice. I think you'll really enjoy this can. What are planning to strap this into?

48 minutes ago, magnumb said:

Nice. I think you'll really enjoy this can. What are planning to strap this into?

My re re monster beetle even though i added the mip ball diff i do not want to go brushless with it. I am trying to find a nice brushed motor with good torque and decent top end. I had a tamiya superstock rz which was good but it died and i refuse to buy anymore tamiya motors. I tried my hpi 15t which was fast but no torque and i tried my 13t yeah racing motor which was slow i think cause it is geared wrong. That motor flew in my tt-02b ms. Ill let you know how it is. 

22 minutes ago, magnumb said:

Very cool! I too have the mip ball diff and also didn't want brushless.

So i installed it yesterday.  The motor has alot of torque but it woefully slow with top end. Im a little disappointed, what is the metal ring you take off?

It's attached to outside of the can, taking this off is very easy and really doesn't require any tools, just get your fingernail under it and lift and slide off the motor. This will allow it to gain RPM.

What pinion size are you using? With all that torque you should have no problem increasing the pinion size to gain top end without overheating the motor. I think stock was 10tooth??? You should be able to get to 13-14 without the motor getting over 150 degrees....maybe even more.

4 minutes ago, magnumb said:

It's attached to outside of the can, taking this off is very easy and really doesn't require any tools, just get your fingernail under it and lift and slide off the motor. This will allow it to gain RPM.

What pinion size are you using? With all that torque you should have no problem increasing the pinion size to gain top end without overheating the motor. I think stock was 10tooth??? You should be able to get to 13-14 without the motor getting over 150 degrees....maybe even more.

Thanks i will remove it and try. I think the stock pinion is 10t. I will have to buy an adjustable motor mount to up it. Ill try removing the cover first and go from there

1 minute ago, magnumb said:

Also what battery are you using?

Venom 2s lipo 4000mah

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

Thanks i will remove it and try. I think the stock pinion is 10t. I will have to buy an adjustable motor mount to up it. Ill try removing the cover first and go from there

If that doesn't work I have a CRP adjustable mount I'll sell for $18.

Taking advantage of the torque is key with these motors....I've used these in several applications and when geared right they run cool and are consistent. The only downside I can see is the weight and if your looking a tire ripper and a lot of top speed this is not a good choice. You're best bet for that is to go brushless or try running 3s on that 550 if your ESC can handle it.

3 hours ago, magnumb said:

If that doesn't work I have a CRP adjustable mount I'll sell for $18.

Taking advantage of the torque is key with these motors....I've used these in several applications and when geared right they run cool and are consistent. The only downside I can see is the weight and if your looking a tire ripper and a lot of top speed this is not a good choice. You're best bet for that is to go brushless or try running 3s on that 550 if your ESC can handle it.

Are you in the states? Otherwise it wouldnt be worth to ship the crp mount. I dont want a blazer, but the superstock rz was perfect speed prob about 25-30mph. Brushless will be to much, id be shocked if the holmes motor hit 15mph

I'm in the states and $18 shipped.

I'll being setting mine up in the next month or so, but I've used similar cans in other rigs and I gear up until I hit about 140 degrees. These holmes versions are suppose to run cooler. Going to start with 15t and may work up to 19t.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, magnumb said:

I'll being setting mine up in the next month or so, but I've used similar cans in other rigs and I gear up until I hit about 140 degrees. These holmes versions are suppose to run cooler. Going to start with 15t and may work up to 19t.

I messaged you

On 5/23/2017 at 9:07 AM, magnumb said:

Did you ever get the motor set up? I tried 17t and 19t with some decent results. A 20t pinion will not fit, atleast i could t get it to fit

Running an 18t and it's working well so far.  

It stays cool when running through the grass and still have decent top end and nice run times...I think i'm at 16-17mph. Going to try 19t and should be about what I'm looking for. Next up is the Unimog wheelie machine that i'll be throwing that motor into to see what it does with maybe a 11t.

Did you take that torque ring off and what top speed do you think you're at and with what battery?