Sign in to follow this  
_oliK

My Rallye M-01

I don't always post build threads, but when I do, I'm already 85% finished! Anyway, thought I'd finally share my M-01 rallying project (or rather: gravel skid machine). This is my first own RC car, or at least the first one that I built myself, back in 2009. I drove it for a while, had lots of fun and then...well. It sat on my shelf. I've planned on rebuilding it, and bought two modded M-02's for spares, so you could call it a M-05 now. ;) Here are some pics of the original state (Chassis was bone stock with blue Fighter shocks - legit):

PICT0634_zps2txijnh6.jpg

DRIFT2_zpszd7eziyh.jpg

There aren't many pictures of the rebuild, but I sealed the gearbox with doublesided tape, and generally tried to protect everything against dirt and other nasty bits.

P1110784_zpsu412ytxd.jpg

Nothing oozes "professional paintjob" like a cardbox box on a heater! Looks crude, but a little preparation and some masking tape makes a huge difference. Painted the Team Blue Groove undercowl - great quality for a repo, and about one week shipment from canada to germany, absolute bargain.

P1020320_zpshaqyroif.jpg

Here are some chassis pics, I will add a complete hop up list when I'm finished. Already took it out for a test drive, it had me grinning like a lunatic! The LRP F1 ESC is fantastic, switches from forward to brake/reverse in like nothing. :D

P1020494_zpssddknnna.jpg

P1020496_zpsrtiw9jfw.jpg

P1020497_zpsvomzx3u7.jpg

Let me just say something about the quick release battery holder: I first saw it in an old 1996 Tamiya catalogue, and wanted one ever since. I got it with a M-02, that was never run, but had lots of hop-ups fitted. Everything about it was new and shiny, except for the battery holder. This means, that it also took the previous owner years to get his hands on this part!

Some of you may have also noticed the bent metal piece in there, I custom made this for fitting a Willy Driver figure. And it took me eight iterations to get it just right. Eight.

A new body is already painted (the old one being quite abused, and painted badly), but i'm still waiting for some parts. Here you can see how I masked off the arches:

P1020473_zpshybwbtv9.jpg

I first masked off the complete body, except for the arches and side steps. I used overlapping making tpae to get the shape of the arches just right, then masked only the Windows and painted everything White. Then I covered it up with silver, and gave the arches another coat of black, so that the silver isn't visible behind the wheels. But I ended up with some major imperfections:

P1020501_zpsvrh6ylan.jpg

P1020502_zpsxc1xjip8.jpg

I'm quite upset with myself, but I won't buy a third body. I'll just make it as dirty as possible while driving. ;)

I should be finished with the stickers (personal custom stickers, yay!) in a few days, until then!

P1020503_zpsevrs3mpu.jpg

• Like 2

This is great. I have an old M-02L that I was wondering what to do with. How did you do the internal arches? Also have you been able to rise the ride height at all?

14 hours ago, wilsonian said:

This is great. I have an old M-02L that I was wondering what to do with. How did you do the internal arches? Also have you been able to rise the ride height at all?

Do you mean the undercowl/undertray? I cut it with bent lexan scissors and the Tamiya modeler's knife. It's painted from the inside. However, this part will only fit 210mm chassis, not your M-02L.

I couldn't raise the ride height, and the undercowl below the chassis reduces it even more - but it bends when hitting the ground, should be fine.

• Like 1

Hey Guys!

My Mini has been finished for quite a while now, and I already got some driving and setup sessions done. I took some time with the pictures to get them really good, and I wanted the car to be dirty :)

P1020658_zpstxuzzebb.jpg

I ran into some understeering struggles ( Curse you, FWD!!!), but I filled the diff with 20000cps Ansmann diff oil, and transformed the car. It's soooooo good! Right now, I'm at the point where I don't want to change anything and just keep driving, it's so much fun!

P1020665_zpszr6vdtwa.jpg

I'd say I finally succeeded at my goal to build my ultimate personal gravel toy. The gearbox is sealed of against dirt, as are the stabiliser cut-outs. I fitted pink vintage dampers, a Team Blue Groove repro undercowl, aluminium steering and more. My favourite part is by far the quick release battery holder. I got it with a M-02, that was never run, but had lots of hop-ups fitted. Everything about it was new and shiny, except for the battery holder. This means, that it also took the previous owner years to get his hands on this part! I love this thing! The FRP corners are sealed off with CA glue, to ensure a long life!

P1020735_zpsutv5lgnr.jpg

While the undercowl does quite a good job at keeping off major stones, it can't prevent the accumulation of small stones and lots and lots of dust. The heat-sink motor mount is unexpectedly great at dissipating motor heat, I considered it to be more of a cosmetic upgrade. Do get it!

I also fitted longer ball studs to the steering to eliminate bump steer. The tiny steering rod has been replaced with proper 3mm hardware, because the mighty servo used to yank it out of the ball end. The gear shafts are drilled out(weight reduction, bro!), and I hand built an aluminium piece to hold the WR-02 Willy driver figure. The helmet was originally supposed to be just green, but I came up with this design only minutes before I started painting. I used masking tape, but I didn't sketch it beforehand. I really dig this look, maybe you should never think about what you're doing. Or maybe you should.

P1020705_zps5dizmpyp.jpg

I really love the current setup, it's not perfect but fun to drive. It can skid, it under steers, over steers, and it's very alive. The motor isn't too fast, but it's super quick combined with the gearing, and just how I like it. I wouldn't change a thing.

P1020714_zpse9zq0ch3.jpg

Hop-Up-List:

53238 Quick-Release Battery Holder

53239 Stabiliser Set

53241 Heat-Sink Motor Mount

Team Blue Groove 53243 Repro Undercowl

53253 Aluminium Steering

53206 M-01 Ball Bearings

53155 Dampers

54531 Wild Willy WR-02 Driver Figure

5305082 3x117mm Rod DF-03

51427 Rally-Block Tyres 60D

ESC: LRP F1

Motor: Kyosho motor found lying about

Receiver: Modelcraft 27Mhz

Servo: hitec HS300

Setup:

Front:

#400 Oil, 2 holes

standard spring, soft, 2x 4mm clips

Camber: stock

Toe: neutral-ish

Rally-block tyres

Rear:

#400 oil, 2 holes

standard spring, soft, 1x 4mm clips

Camber: stock

Toe: stock

Rally-block tyres, 60D inner sponge, hard

20000cps diff oil

16T pinion gear

P1020673_zpsz7o9fyuk.jpg

The body is painted white, backed with silver and black. The livery is a mix of Monte Carlo stickers, and custom-made ones, like the signature 45s, red stripes, and roof sign. I tried German, Japanese and British numberplates , the British just looked best.

P1020672_zpsv7bhzuj6.jpg

Driving pic:

P1020531_zps4fifc34r.jpg

Post-driving pic :)

P1020721_zpsfznhxcue.jpg

This car is my first love, and I don't think it'll ever sell it. It will just be rebuilt again and again and again.

What do you think?

• Like 7

Very nice, and also great to see it being used..rather than just a shelf queen.

Ive just about done rebuilding a 'preloved' wild willy 2..spent a fortune on hop ups, and crazy mods...cost becomes irrelevant after you get bitten doesnt it?

I got it dirt cheap..and have now spent about 3x times what i paid for it..!

• Like 1

I got the original kit from my dad...now I've got several boxes worth of parts. I was hesitant to spend that much money, but after driving it, I have to say that it's totally worth it. Words can't describe how much fun it is!

Yes, i can appreciate that...the best thing about growing up.and, in my case anyway! The toys get better, motorbikes, 4x4  and rc models!!

I had a wild willy 2..about 7 or 8 years ago, did some wild mods?back then anyway, whip aerials lighting suspension, all stuff that is run of the mill now..then sold the beggar, always regretted it, got another one second hand..this one i think i'll keep, along withe the rc crosser, quad, and helicopter..(airwolf rep)..

I can guess the fun you have with it..a lot of the satisfaction comes from the fact that you made it.!!

enjoy.

The M01 is a chassis that until this week I'd never looked twice at, the M03 has been the chassis of choice with my Mini's but an offer I couldn't refuse popped up this week and now I have two of them! Both cars came with rally block tyres and there is even a Tamiya undertray, something I hadn't seen before now.

One will be for the shelf and one will have a few track outings racing in my local Tamiya class, I don't think it will do very well but it could be fun!

19141638_10154764947351158_1894868566_n.

19251280_10154764948296158_1431151238_n.

NTomgac.jpg

I tried driving in snow this week, but it was already to muddy, so I went for a Late Night Tarmac Stage. (6:30 pm actually, but late night sounds more awesome)

NumFOY0.jpg

It definitely had a theme: braking. On gravel, I don't do a lot of braking, since there's no grip anyways. And on tarmac/concrete even the tiniest bit of too much braking can send you into understeer. But I will get the hang of it.

Issues so far:

-Undercowl is dragging on the floor, and has a huge gap between the two halves. I put tape over it, but I   already  had to replace it. I might try using a hot air gun to bend the undercowl inwards, since it's   angled and is lowest along the center line of the car. That's where all the scraping happens.

-Diff needs higher viscosity oil as well as sealing. Will be rebuilt at some point.

-Pretty twitchy on asphalt. But I am not going to change that. I'll just stick with the gravel setup.

I love this car to bits and just want to keep driving it harder and harder! Hope it holds up, and I can have even more fun! :wub:

IIxej8e.jpg

• Like 6

Love that little car. Shame we lost the pics from earlier in the thread.

Hope that old chassis keeps going for a while yet!