ThunderDragonCy

Recommend me some metal 12mm hexes for my DT03 please

Morning all. Happy Easter.

I need to replace the plastic drive hexes on the grasshopper3. All the wheel changing is already wearing them out. I want some metal ones but there are scores of them available seeming to range in price from £2 to £20. Don't think I need clamping ones, just something more durable than plastic. Tell me what you think my learned friends!

• Like 1

Nice one! Ironically I think those are the ones supplied with the rising fighter of all things. My kids buggy definitely had something like those out of the box.

They are outwardly very similar to the Rising Fighter ones, but the backs have slots for drive pins as used on the DT-02 & DT-03 rather than the splined fitment used on the DT-01 gearbox featured on the Rising Fighter.

They are the same as the standard plastic ones in every respect apart from being made of metal. :)

• Like 1

If you've ever had hex come off stuck in wheel, hex loosens and the pin falls out, hex cracks in 2, hex squashes against bearing, hex falls off when you change tyres... you'll swear by the clamping hex B)

The cheaper ones work ok, don't need to pay top dollar for T originals. There's a few sources of usable budget clamp hexes... YeahRacing is pretty good, HSP is ok too.

Just be aware the tiny little screw isn't necessarily strong enough to do all the clamping - stripping its thread is common. These days I squeeze them in a vice until they're frictionfit onto the axle, then only use screw to stop them falling off.

• Like 3

I originally used the tamiya non screw hexes that someone mentioned but one did get stuck so i bought the gpm hexes in blue for the dt03. I dont know if they are that available now, but i only added mine back around Christmas 

• Like 1

I like clamping adaptors, since they make changing wheels a breeze. No more messing around with pins falling out. I will get some for my TT-01E, where I often change between normal and drift wheels.

Thanks guys.  There are loads of different width clamping adaptors. 8 or 9mm seem common but I don't want to rely on measuring my plastic ones as they are battered!

11 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks guys.  There are loads of different width clamping adaptors. 8 or 9mm seem common but I don't want to rely on measuring my plastic ones as they are battered!

The stock plastic items are 6mm thick.

Clamping ones have their advantages in terms of convenience, but I'd argue that non-clamping ones are stronger...

• Like 1