Pintopower

Sand Scorcher Complete Chassis & Cage

2 hours ago, SRB Bloke said:

Only me,

Any updates :) 

Yes actually! The base template for the chassis is done and then the printer at the office died! So now we are scrambling to fix that dumb thing. As soon as the template is squared away I need to order a preliminary cage and make sure it all mates up and then add the details. It is a huge undertaking... but needed for my next massive SRB upgrade. 

Looking fantastic.

One thought might be to try to put an upper shock mount in there somewhere - one bug bear with the SRB is the woeful shocks, and whilst there are many options to swap out the fronts there's virtually nothing that works well at the rear at the ca 55mm length needed to suit the standard mounting points - being able to utilise a 70mm shock at the rear would open up lots of options.

On 21/09/2017 at 6:23 PM, Percymon said:

Looking fantastic.

One thought might be to try to put an upper shock mount in there somewhere - one bug bear with the SRB is the woeful shocks, and whilst there are many options to swap out the fronts there's virtually nothing that works well at the rear at the ca 55mm length needed to suit the standard mounting points - being able to utilise a 70mm shock at the rear would open up lots of options.

100% agree with both points.

it looks awesome. Really awesome.

And needs 70mm or longer rear shocks if possible.

I really do not plan on touching the suspension on this car. We will see what the build brings but I was focused on that chassis...who knows...i get carried away usually. 

I am curious as to the alternative body. Karmann Ghia, Kubelwagen, Thing or Schwimmwagen? Or something else entirely?

Personally I wish someone would come up with a wide-eye Baja kit for the SS. I like the look of Baja bugs in general, but far prefer wide-eye to narrow-eye kits.

On 1/29/2018 at 11:43 AM, TurnipJF said:

I am curious as to the alternative body. Karmann Ghia, Kubelwagen, Thing or Schwimmwagen? Or something else entirely?

Personally I wish someone would come up with a wide-eye Baja kit for the SS. I like the look of Baja bugs in general, but far prefer wide-eye to narrow-eye kits.

Trust me, way ahead of you! Haha!

On 1/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, wildwillhappy said:

pintopower any news on the sand scorcher?

wild

Yes, the cage is being printed and working on the chassis plate next. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 10:26 AM, wildwillhappy said:

Mr pintopower 

i cannot wait to see what you have been up to:D

Well you will soon! I ordered the proto cage for the chassis fitment. 

This is just the prototype cage fitment. The chassis is coming next. 

39838411164_ab864c39f9_c.jpg

40506373002_7741318a7c_c.jpg

40506372912_d564e4ce54_c.jpg

40549274861_224357431f_c.jpg

40506372202_f622e61241_c.jpg

• Like 7

Wow looks fantastic.

How many parts is it broken down into?

Rich

10 hours ago, Finman said:

Wow looks fantastic.

How many parts is it broken down into?

Rich

Well...so far just the cage. But there is going to be the chassis, the chassis battery door, door panels, dash, misc interior bits...basically a lot..haha

Meant the cage - for when it's available for purchase.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, Finman said:

Meant the cage - for when it's available for purchase.

OH! Gotcha. It has 3 parts currently but 2 are brackets. It will be all attached to one part though. 

Hi mate followed this thread, looks awesome, how much do you think you'll be asking and how much to ship to UK?

regards

On 3/16/2018 at 4:25 PM, Ritchie said:

Hi mate followed this thread, looks awesome, how much do you think you'll be asking and how much to ship to UK?

regards

Hey Ritchie, I sell these at cost so it is what ever it costs shapeways to make them. This is going to be around $200-$400 for the set. There is a lot that is not done yet like the chassis pan, seats, interior, dash, illumination and so son so right now it is too soon to tell. Shapeways is also based near the UK so shipping wont be bad. 

Thanks for that, yeah I know that Shapeways send from the Netherlands so your right it shouldn't be too much.

Can you let me know when the finished product is ready to go please

Regards

Trust me, I will post it everywhere! This has been an awful project so I will be glad when it is over.