ALEXKYRIAK

Mad Bull Build

4 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Yes I should have done it your way! However yes I do plan to use the steering turn buckles, will have a go at putting them in next weekend. 

All in all the steering and suspension mod seems to be turning out quite nicely. 

I will peruse the forums but am also interested in adding proper steering arms onto my re-re Hornet. 

We all make these mistakes. You're looking at the guy who bought a DT02 set on the cheap for his DT03 and ended up not being able to use the steering turnbuckles! 

I haven't got a photo handy, but I did just this on my kids rising fighter using the spare ball cups, and ball ends from the DT02 kit, and some spare ball nuts and the threaded bar I mentioned to beef up the steering arms on that. I had to drill out the uprights and servo saver to 3mm to get the ball connectors on, but it works great.

• Like 1

Sounds v interesting on the rising fighter mod. 

Do you have any recommended technique to cleanly cut the 3mm rod without deforming it so much that you can't get a ballcup (or nut or other) on? When I cut my 3mm screw (spare screw in a savox servo pack) I had to do a bit of filing to get the ball cup to go on cleanly. 

Mine touched the servo when on full lock. I think i could have the hole in the bell crank in a different place. I also took a stanley knife to the servo and sliced some off it and i also turned down the end points on the tx, the turning circle is a little larger now but the arm doesnt touch the servo

9 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Sounds v interesting on the rising fighter mod. 

Do you have any recommended technique to cleanly cut the 3mm rod without deforming it so much that you can't get a ballcup (or nut or other) on? When I cut my 3mm screw (spare screw in a savox servo pack) I had to do a bit of filing to get the ball cup to go on cleanly. 

I use my bike cable cutters along the angle of the thread then run a sharp edge needle file along any deformed thread. You will always have to do a bit of finishing but it's not hard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Spin on 2 nuts onto the rod/screwshank. You can now clamp these nuts into a vice or vice grips.

Chop rod (leave 2-3mm for swarf) with boltcutters/Dremel cutoff disc/hacksaw then dress with a flat file to remove squashed metal & sharp edges.

Then unthread the 2 nuts thru the cut area... these reform your threads :) 

• Like 2

Awesome WillyChang, thanks! :) you've just given me an excuse to buy more tools!! 

I hope you don't mind when I use you as the reason when the missus complains....!

On 4/23/2017 at 4:45 PM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Ok, so I attempted painting the shell. TS Black. Sanded and "keyed" it, as per some tutorials online. Was using 300 grit paper, finest I could find. Primed it with White, 2-3 coats. Not sure if I've done this wrong but after 3-4 coats of the Black I can still see the effects of the sanding. I might have b*llsed this up bigtime.... might've been the fumes getting to my head.. ...  will post same pics I a few days.

I don't know how deep your scratches are, but your could try some Filler primer on top of what you've done and then go over it lightly with some 1200grit paper. 

• Like 1

On 22/05/2017 at 3:39 PM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Actually at total lock on the servo tester the ballcup very slightly touches the corner of the servo. I will play with the setup to mitigate this. 

Minor update, I dremelled the corner of the servo box slightly, just to make absolutely sure of no contact. (...this was a good reason to buy more tools...)

dremels are fun... I want to go and dremel something else...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

(...this was a good reason to buy more tools...)

Any reason to buy more tools is a good reason. =)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Any reason to buy more tools is a good reason. =)

you need a reason to buy more tools?

• Like 1

So just thinking about adding the DT-02 steering arms. Was looking at the steering  knuckles. There is some vertical play here, about a 1-2mm gap...

is this also a contributor to slop? Photo below:

1801D6ED-D52F-417C-9A55-2E2C45670294_zps

A 1mm shim/washer might stop that from moving vertically. 

Yeah, I shimmed mine, won't change the world but every bit helps. Worth doing for sure.

• Like 1

Ok shimmed it. Used some grease to keep it moving nicely. There's still about half a millimetre of play but it's a lot more snug now  

A36C14BE-E4DA-43BB-8379-4E7952F9B7CB_zps

• Like 1