magnumb

Years in the Hobby

1988-1996 then became interested in 1:1 cars, girls and power sports and stashed away the RCs for awhile. Had several Tamiya off-road kits and a F1 kit along with a couple boats (Kyosho Majesty and DPI Leisure Ski nautique)

Around 1998 flew planes for about a year at a local airport. Had tons of fun with friends doing that, but a car wreck destroyed my planes and never rebuilt.  

Found out that girls/women are largely overrated and moved back into the hobby full tilt around 2005 till 2008. Muscle cars, power sports and other activities took most of time and cash and sold off most of my collection:(

2013 came back to race short course trucks for about a year and really enjoyed that and then back again last year with RC4WD trail finder....could not pass this kit up. As a kid I always used the Tamiya CR-V and Hummer to crawl around with and really enjoyed getting them to articulate. Built a few mild crawler type trails that these could be used on and always wanted a Chevy K5 with solid axles as an RC. Now I'm also trying to build back up my original Tamiya collection that I gave away years ago or lost during my many moves.    

So I guess that about 14 years in the Hobby. At one point you could look at all your purchases on Tower Hobbies over the years and it was hard to believe all the kits and accessories I had purchased. I think all I have left is a .60 size trainer plane, Kyosho Overland Mini(this is one fun RC) my tool box and a couple transmitters.  

Only 7 years here from 2010 to present.  Same as you, there's more than I care to admit in my Tower purchase history...

31 or 32 years, depending on whether you count first RC vehicle of any kind (Radio Shack Lamborghini, Xmas 1984) or first RC kit (Tamiya Grasshopper, July 1986). There have been some ebbs and flows in my activity, but I believe I have owned at least one RC car that whole time. I don't remember a time when I didn't have one.

• Like 1

A year and a month for me, and two models to my name. I doubt I'll be able to add a model every six months, but it would be nice to grow the fleet a little.

It is coming up on six years for me. I suppose I had gotten into remote-controlled vehicles as a kid, but that was largely intermittent as I had other interests (strange to think about saying that before puberty :P but at the time it was predominantly sports and video games, the latter being key to my entry into the hobby). It was after finishing high school that I got into radio-controlled vehicles and Tamiya, starting with their GT-One. Here it is these days:

33vffcl.jpg

Strangely, I only own one chassis which is still in production; every other model I own has been out of production for at least 10 years, and usually longer. This means every model I have was designed and/or discontinued before I started in the hobby.

Had to sit down and figure this one out. I'm coming up with 27 years actively involved in the hobby. While I certainly loved RC cars before I owned one, my first was at age 9. I progressed very heavily into the hobby buying Tamiya kits and collecting all the old stuff I could find (even in the 80's I was into vintage RC). I took a 4 year break during college and picked up as soon as I got out and have been going strong since. I'm no racer and my tech (AM radios, some MSCs and NiCads) is way behind the times but I love the hobby all the same. Long live the Tamiya kit!

This is now my 32nd year in the hobby. Have been going non stop since '85. Thank you Tamiya for giving me a life long passion. Additionally, I've made a second hobby out of video and editing and my YouTube channel for RC. I have no idea what I'd be doing with my time if I didn't have RC. :P

34 or 35 years for me, sometimes got out for a month or two, but can never stay away for long.

Around 30 yrs, bashing, then an rc club in high school (gym hall after school). Like you say, the allure of perfume and curves side tracks you for a bit  (plus 1:1 scale!).

My first RC was 1978 bought from Woolco (Woolworths) it was a small silver Toyota hi-lux with "genuine 4wd" then that Xmas i got a racing car with the strange title of a R101? But then my first Tamiya (real RC cars) which had just come out and that was the SRB ford ranger and i used that to death everywhere i went it came with me and because i lived a few miles from the beach you can imagine what it looked like with a life of sand!:D. So I'm knocking on the doors of 40 year's in the RC hobby even when life got in the way like wife, kids, mortgages which skint normally follows in that order my RC cars were always in the background:)!

29 years for me :o Oh how the cars have changed since my Striker ;)

• Like 1

I had a few rc's as a kid with the first being a truck and trailer not properly RC as it was on a wire.

Then properly on my 18th when i went to Beetties and brought myself a hornet back in 1989 and have never looked back since

My first proper RC was the Striker back in 1987. For years I was convinced I got it in '88 but I've just realised that The Living Daylights was on at the cinema the same week so, according to IMDB, it must be June/July '87 that I got my first Tamiya. Before that I had a few RC's from Gamleys, Tandy, etc. that were wired or single button operated. They looked nice but were usually quite rubbish. Amazingly they didn't put me off of getting a 'real' RC and, in fact, made me more determined to get a decent one. So it's 30 years this year as I generally don't count those 'toy grade' cars.

My Striker is still with me in a "Trigger's Broom" kind of way. It's had 3 different chassis', 2 different bodies and 3 different sets of Acoms radio gear... but it's the same car I've had for 30 years. :D 

• Like 2