Sign in to follow this  
FWLBP

RC10 Worlds Car Re-Re

Hi all. I've been wanting a vintage buggy for the last year and a Frog was at the top of my list due to nostalgia. I was watching Frog prices through Christmas and they never went on sale. However, I saw amain had the RC10 worlds car on sale for $140. Which is actually cheaper than the Frog. This intrigued me because I remember seeing one of these running way back in the day and of course I thought it was amazing at the time. The RC10 would scratch my vintage itch, and I could actually take it to the track and it would perform pretty darn well. So, I'm killing two birds with one stone as I want to also run in the 1/10 buggy class at the track every so often. Its a lot of car for the money, so I pulled the trigger. 

The car went together well, early buyers had issues with the top shaft in gear box being machined wrong, but I had no problems. I think with my kit being one of the last before discontinuation, the bugs were worked out. I threw on a few upgrades while building:

Full ball bearings in bell crank - people had problems with the stock bushings binding in the steering, bearings resolves this

RC Carbon works front/rear shock towers - got to love bling bling, they compliment the carbon transmission brace 

Associated FT blue thumb screws for batter strap - much easier to use these than the stock pins that require flexing the battery box

Jconcepts Goosebumps in rear, and Groovy's on Front - Should work OK on our tracks outdoor loamy dirty

Trackstar 17.5T ESC/Motor Combo - Decent power, allows me to run stock class

Tower Hobbies TS-140 High Speed 2 BB Metal Gear Servo - Strong, quick, and reasonably priced

So far, driving it on the street, this car performs amazingly. Certainly blows away the Grasshopper I built my niece. :D Looking forward to getting it on the track.

20170423_142349.jpg

20170423_142304.jpg

20170423_142412.jpg

20170423_140817.jpg

• Like 3

Thats a great find for only $140, how long ago did you get it? Great looking car too btw! Should fly with the 17.5T combo in it

Looks great! I got one of those $140 kits too and finished mine not too long ago. I did similar upgrades as you but also included Lunsford turnbuckles and RPM rod ends.

I did have issues w/ the top shaft and ended up breaking it all in w/ my drill. I also had issues w/ a bad slipper but AE did good and replaced a lot of parts for me. I'm using a HW JS 17.5 motor/esc combo w/ a 100C SMC Lipo and this thing rocks. I haven't been able to take it to the track yet but hopefully soon...Also have some weights for the front just in case it needs it for jumps, etc.

14 hours ago, FWLBP said:

Hi all. I've been wanting a vintage buggy for the last year and a Frog was at the top of my list due to nostalgia. I was watching Frog prices through Christmas and they never went on sale. However, I saw amain had the RC10 worlds car on sale for $140. Which is actually cheaper than the Frog. This intrigued me because I remember seeing one of these running way back in the day and of course I thought it was amazing at the time. The RC10 would scratch my vintage itch, and I could actually take it to the track and it would perform pretty darn well. So, I'm killing two birds with one stone as I want to also run in the 1/10 buggy class at the track every so often. Its a lot of car for the money, so I pulled the trigger. 

The car went together well, early buyers had issues with the top shaft in gear box being machined wrong, but I had no problems. I think with my kit being one of the last before discontinuation, the bugs were worked out. I threw on a few upgrades while building:

Full ball bearings in bell crank - people had problems with the stock bushings binding in the steering, bearings resolves this

RC Carbon works front/rear shock towers - got to love bling bling, they compliment the carbon transmission brace 

Associated FT blue thumb screws for batter strap - much easier to use these than the stock pins that require flexing the battery box

Jconcepts Goosebumps in rear, and Groovy's on Front - Should work OK on our tracks outdoor loamy dirty

Trackstar 17.5T ESC/Motor Combo - Decent power, allows me to run stock class

Tower Hobbies TS-140 High Speed 2 BB Metal Gear Servo - Strong, quick, and reasonably priced

So far, driving it on the street, this car performs amazingly. Certainly blows away the Grasshopper I built my niece. :D Looking forward to getting it on the track.

20170423_142349.jpg

20170423_142304.jpg

20170423_142412.jpg

20170423_140817.jpg

Great looking buggy, wish I could of got one for $140

17 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thats a great find for only $140, how long ago did you get it? Great looking car too btw! Should fly with the 17.5T combo in it

Thanks for the compliment, I just used rattle cans & tape. I'm pleased with how it came out considering that its only the 2nd body I've ever done up. Yes, the 17.5T plenty powerful in this car, not sure how guys run these with 6.5T's, but they do. I got this buggy off A-main back in January. It was on sale for $145, and they also had a $5 off coupon, so final price was $140. All stock disappeared and the model was discontinued roughly 2 weeks after I bought it. So, this is genuinely one of the last kits from a vendor. 

10 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Looks great! I got one of those $140 kits too and finished mine not too long ago. I did similar upgrades as you but also included Lunsford turnbuckles and RPM rod ends.

I did have issues w/ the top shaft and ended up breaking it all in w/ my drill. I also had issues w/ a bad slipper but AE did good and replaced a lot of parts for me. I'm using a HW JS 17.5 motor/esc combo w/ a 100C SMC Lipo and this thing rocks. I haven't been able to take it to the track yet but hopefully soon...Also have some weights for the front just in case it needs it for jumps, etc.

Glad to hear you snagged one too at that price, it was too good to pass up. Stinks you had some of the problems others had. Even if I had encountered those issues, I'd still be in love with this car. I want to try mine at the track and see how it behaves on jumps, I've heard of weights being needed, we'll see. I really want to change out the ugly rod ends. What size RPM rod ends did you get? Do they bind in the steering? I've heard people say that the thick RPM's can cause binding, so I was hesitant to get some. I look forward to hearing how your track experiences compare to mine!

22 minutes ago, FWLBP said:

Glad to hear you snagged one too at that price, it was too good to pass up. Stinks you had some of the problems others had. Even if I had encountered those issues, I'd still be in love with this car. I want to try mine at the track and see how it behaves on jumps, I've heard of weights being needed, we'll see. I really want to change out the ugly rod ends. What size RPM rod ends did you get? Do they bind in the steering? I've heard people say that the thick RPM's can cause binding, so I was hesitant to get some. I look forward to hearing how your track experiences compare to mine!

I got the 4-40s:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=003120819&I=LXRB06&P=K

They are huge! Yes, they bind at the steering so I kept the stock ends for them as they are most likely going to survive most collisions. You may need to work some in as some were a tight fit into the balls.

I think you have stock shocks. Are you sticking w/ them or upgrading to BB or something else?

Hmm, I might go ahead and get some of those rod ends, I'll have to see if they come in white as I kind of like the white/black contrast of the worlds parts. Yes, I have the stock shocks on it. I'm going to stick with them initially as I usually don't like changing out most things before trying stock setup. I did set it up using the Kinwald setup sheet on associated's site: https://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_and_trucks/RC10WC/setup_sheets/RC10_2014_Standard_Kinwald.pdf

I'll try this setup for a while and see if I really need big bores for our track or not. How about you, are you sticking with stock setup initially as well?

Yes, everything else is stock for me besides the turnbuckles, ball cups, I also got the 1787 thumb screws and the flanged bearings (I chose Boca bearings there). I got a bunch of wheels and tires to try out too....my track is high bite clay.