AndyjcClod

Want to build a Monster Truck what base model to use?

Hi Everyone

I have a new project I want to do but am not sure where to start.

Basically I want to build a monster truck (like the ones handle at the Monster Jam) so it will need a lot of torque and be nice and bouncey.

Can anyone recomend a good chassis\Tamiya to start with for this project?

Suggest you have a look at the TXT-2.

They come up for sale on eBay reasonably regularly and you can get a new built/hardly used runner for c£180.

I started this last year but not had time to progress.

If you want a "proper" monster truck with proper axles driven by a chassis-mounted motor then the TXT-2 has got to be your best starting point from the two stars.  There's nothing wrong with the TXT-1 either, if you're going to be modding it for a project, and if you can find one for a reasonable price.

I thought Traxxas offered a solid-axle truck as well, but can't find any info on it now; maybe I'm mistaken.

The HPI Wheely King is a similar thing but smaller, lighter and simpler.  Lots of scope for modding, but lack the presence of the TXTs.

• Like 1

TXTs are really the only way to go for the modern look monster truck.

Don't forget your 4S LiPo and 1/8 brushless motor to go in it ;)

• Like 2

It may not be the most realistic drivetrain-style, but if you want big and bouncy like the old 1st gen monster trucks, the Super Clod Buster does the trick. As for shaft drive, I agree, the TXT-1 or 2 is the way to go. Outside of Tamiya, you have the previously mentioned HPI Wheely King or the newer Axial SMT10 trucks. 

• Like 1

I just picked up a used TXT-1 earlier this year with snapped diff housing/axle for $150 AUD. It has put a big smile on my face after replacing the axle housing. Goes anywhere, stock silver cans, 3s or 4s in it and I'm very happy :D

• Like 1

My opinion is if you want a wicked looking monster truck that you can really bash, it's as simple as building a brushless Terra Crusher or TNX. Ditch the stock Tamiya trans in favor of a current model trans(nearly a direct fit). High torque castle motor esc combo, and a set of jumbo kong wheels/tires, TNX 5.2r axle setup, zerol bevel gear diffs, upgraded servo. 3s 6000 mah lipo Now that's a monster. I've built 3 of these this year and can attest to the durability if done correctly. I own a couple stock nitro versions as well and the electric conversion trucks outrun their nitro counterparts everytime. I've driven the Terra Crusher on kongs across several big creeks and good sized ponds, yes it floats it's a blast. I built a short course version for a local "electric only" dirt track it's surprisingly competitive for a big truck on a very small track. Also did an almost all aluminum version that weighs 18.6lbs with the jumbo kongs. It's as fun to bash as the others but clean up is time consuming. Sorry for the long reply but these trucks are underrated and overlooked by most people but they are a great platform to work with and with a little digging parts are available. More importantly I doubt your going to line up next to another one......ever. Having a unique truck that is "built not bought" is worth all the time and money. 

IMG_20170402_175516.jpg

IMG_20170621_153800.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, gearheadwilly said:

My opinion is if you want a wicked looking monster truck that you can really bash, it's as simple as building a brushless Terra Crusher or TNX. Ditch the stock Tamiya trans in favor of a current model trans(nearly a direct fit). High torque castle motor esc combo, and a set of jumbo kong wheels/tires, TNX 5.2r axle setup, zerol bevel gear diffs, upgraded servo. 3s 6000 mah lipo Now that's a monster. I've built 3 of these this year and can attest to the durability if done correctly. I own a couple stock nitro versions as well and the electric conversion trucks outrun their nitro counterparts everytime. I've driven the Terra Crusher on kongs across several big creeks and good sized ponds, yes it floats it's a blast. I built a short course version for a local "electric only" dirt track it's surprisingly competitive for a big truck on a very small track. Also did an almost all aluminum version that weighs 18.6lbs with the jumbo kongs. It's as fun to bash as the others but clean up is time consuming. Sorry for the long reply but these trucks are underrated and overlooked by most people but they are a great platform to work with and with a little digging parts are available. More importantly I doubt your going to line up next to another one......ever. Having a unique truck that is "built not bought" is worth all the time and money. 

IMG_20170402_175516.jpg

IMG_20170621_153800.jpg

Wow that looks amazing! Those wheels are gob smacking, I would love an RC I can drive across water  :D

• Like 1

I have three terra crushers but hate the nitro nonsense. Do you have a build thread of how to convert to brushless?! The chassis is awesome, I'd really like to reassign mine to BL power!!

• Like 1

1499354155360-1042899122.thumb.jpg.83e0eb799f7a2b12a407868349756870.jpgI recommend urethane conformal coating on your electronics and good quality marine grease in your diffs and trans. Also wash it off with clean water as soon as your out of the nasty creek or pond water as rust sets in quickly! These trucks are fairly cheap on eBay, usually transmission and or engine issues both of witch don't matter if your going electric. Great platform to build your dream machine. Quite a few parts are still available from Tamiya. Others on eBay etc. My aluminum truck literally has parts from all over the world, I enjoy the hunt for a supposedly impossible to find part. That to me makes finding it eventually feel all that much more victorious. 

• Like 1

Nitomor I don't have a build thread or anything like that but I do have pics and measurements etc. Transmission that I use is a current model from eBay brand new for $50 another $25 for motor mount including clutch, spur cover etc. I make carbon fiber transmission adapter plates on mine. The stock terra crusher universal type driveshafts fit perfectly. Tnx dogbone driveshafts require a little extra work but nothing crazy. Add your choice of electronics and its a beast. I've had a couple people ask for me too build these for them and they are extremely happy with the results. Pm for more details/info. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nitomor said:

I have three terra crushers but hate the nitro nonsense. Do you have a build thread of how to convert to brushless?! The chassis is awesome, I'd really like to reassign mine to BL power!!

Something to consider is that if you install good brushless power with all stock terra crusher parts you will eventually break plastic axles witch are easily available or upgraded with 5.2r steel dogbone axle setup. Also the aluminum diff gears are a weak point, replacement aluminum diff gears are available through Tamiya or upgraded buy installing tnx steel diff gears available new online with a bit of digging or used diffs sell cheap on eBay when they come up. I've bought several diffs used and all have been in great shape. I have part numbers for the upgrades if you go that route. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gearheadwilly said:

Nitomor I don't have a build thread or anything like that but I do have pics and measurements etc. Transmission that I use is a current model from eBay brand new for $50 another $25 for motor mount including clutch, spur cover etc. I make carbon fiber transmission adapter plates on mine. The stock terra crusher universal type driveshafts fit perfectly. Tnx dogbone driveshafts require a little extra work but nothing crazy. Add your choice of electronics and its a beast. I've had a couple people ask for me too build these for them and they are extremely happy with the results. Pm for more details/info. 

No no. Please do share in public. Create a thread with pictures info etc. I'm certainly intrigued by this too!

• Like 1

Same here, I would live to see a build post on this so I could give it a go :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gearheadwilly said:

How would one go about doing such a thing? I'm not very versed in forum protocol. I'd be happy to show how I've done it. 

Just create a new thread with a saying title and off you go (:

• Like 1

Thanks @gearheadwilly for the pm offer. I'd love to see a build thread on it. If you select 'The Builds' forum and then in the top right corner is the start new topic box in green, click that and you're away!!

I'd be interested to know which gearbox you ended up using, for motor I guess you are looking at the larger 1:8 scale Brushless type. Must be an awesome rig with a decent BL setup.

Here's my donor fleet...I also have a set of silly sized wheels (not pictured). 

image.jpg

Thank you,

Nito

Thanks. Nice fleet Nitomor.  I wrote most of it last night I'll add pics and some more details today and hopefully have it posted tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm actually running a 1/10 Scale 540 size motor, castle 3800kv 4pole race motor (torque monster) with a castle SCT esc with a 3s battery its more power than I'll ever need. You could use an eighth scale motor but honestly it's not necessary. If anyone is in my area and wants to see for themselves I'd be happy to facilitate a "test drive" Lol. 

• Like 1

Awesome stuff, thank you so much for taking the time to do that, really look forward to it.

Cheers

Nito :)

• Like 1

Its posted in the build threads, probably not the best build thread ever but the information is out there and I'll answer any questions and help in any way I can. Thanks for your help to hopefully save a few of these trucks. 

• Like 1

If you're willing to look outside Tamiya, the 4x4 version of the HPI Wheely King truck is sure going to give you all the bang you could ever have from a buck. 

U4PAE9.gif

• Like 3