Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

Mabuchi motors in their natural habitat

We tend to forget that our familiar little silver friends started out as industrial motors. But for every one bolted into a Hotshot or a Frog, there are probably a thousand buried deep inside various machines. The other day, I was servicing our big wide-format printer at work, and saw a familair sight:

33420275754_0fb70581a7_c.jpg

That's a 540 or 550 size motor, to raise and lower the ink tray.

And the pump motors are 380 size:

34261768015_b77a2a256e_c.jpg

Circuit board is just for capacitors, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, thought you guys might find this interesting.

• Like 4

I smile whenever I see one - like "Hey, I know you from somewhere! How're you doing?"

• Like 1

Now I realize I have swapped out a fair number of silver-can motors, but not enough to add: "I'm glad you landed on your, um, feet somewhere!"

And hopefully not crazy enough to feel guilt about putting them out of work in the first place :ph34r:

An interesting, if quite bloated, history of Mabuchi Motor can be found on Wikipedia.  Being Wikipedia, much of it is probably misleading, incomplete or just plain wrong, but it's still worth a glance if you're horribly bored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabuchi_Motor

I find it quite interesting that the motor which brings me joy and powers my favourite toys also brings my wife joy and powers her favourite toys as well.

• Like 5

I saw one in a wireless vacuum cleaner (As the suction power was rather lackluster, I was very tempted to replace it with a spare Sport Tuned :P) and our rental motorhome in the US had a silvercan powering a 12V overhead fan. Believe me, those things do pack a punch when presented with 12V instead of the normal 7.2ishV. 

Was pleased to find 550 sized motors in my son's power wheel ride on toy.  Didn't change them out but I did double up on the batteries from 12v to 24v which made the thing fly for about two minutes.  Motors ran fine afterwards on either voltage. A testament to their durability. 

A lot of the cars I see here at work use them, be it for raising or lowering a screen on the dash, powering a pump inside a gearbox, mirror motors and the like.

On 4/25/2017 at 1:56 PM, GooneyBird said:

I saw one in a wireless vacuum cleaner (As the suction power was rather lackluster, I was very tempted to replace it with a spare Sport Tuned :P) and our rental motorhome in the US had a silvercan powering a 12V overhead fan. Believe me, those things do pack a punch when presented with 12V instead of the normal 7.2ishV. 

Now I am tempted to open up my Dewalt vacuum and see what's inside. More curiously, how it would perform with my 15T Firebolt. :lol:

When the "imrc"....inlet manifold return control box decided to fail again on my 1.1car last year the garage took it apart to try and repair it it was either a mabuchi or a Johnson motor in it witch surprised me also.