Sign in to follow this  
SNAKEBITE

Standard vs Torque vs Sport Motors

What difference can I expect between a Tamiya Standard 540, a Torque Tuned and Sport motor? I was looking at rough speed differences, doesn't have to be exact, just ball park figures e.g. 10 mph, 15mph, 20mph.

My son has begun to notice his Standard is a little slower than my Torque motor. (His Rising Fighter vs my Neo Fighter).

I was wondering would getting him a new motor make a real difference?

I'm not worried about his being faster than mine, but was more concerned about the faster motors putting more stress on the drive train.

Many thanks.

Get a cheap 20 turn RC4wd crawler motor or a ECX amp 20 turn motor good hop up for the $

• Like 1

The drive train will be your least problem, front of the car, thats where a faster car will get most of  its impact  ;)

Oh and 20T isnt really a crawler those start at 35T and up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waterbok said:

The drive train will be your least problem, front of the car, thats where a faster car will get most of  its impact  ;)

Oh and 20T isnt really a crawler those start at 35T and up.

Most comp crawlers now a days run brushless 3s setups. Just a little FYI, but historically people used to use lathe motors (brushed 20t and higher).

13 hours ago, waterbok said:

Don't.

Just Don't........ :(

21 hours ago, SNAKEBITE said:

That's a bit misleading really as they are using the same gearing for all 3 motors. A fairer test would be to run them at the same operating temperature.

The sport tuned should be running a smaller pinion than the silver can to take advantage of the higher rpm.

The torque tuned should be running a larger pinion than the silver can to take advantage of the increased torque.

Running them all with whatever pinion they all require to run at similar temperatures, would give a far better idea of how they perform relative to one another.

• Like 2

Hadn't really thought about the pinions for these motors like that, but in my TT02B the torque tuned was slower with 19T pinion compared to 17T, but the 13.5T brushless came alive with the bigger pinion, so this point about the gearing is probably the most important

• Like 1

Gearing hadn't even crossed my mind either.

I had assumed that the motors would behave differently with the same pinion, offering the 3 stages of performance.