Sign in to follow this  
MAD RACER

Vintage Kyosho Gallop MK2 re build to be a runner

I have always wanted a Kyosho Gallop since I was 14 but skipped over it to buy the newer model the Optima.

Still it has always held a place in my soul so after all these yrs I have embarked on getting a runner for Boondal. So this is my re build of the last version of this chassis being a Gallop MK2.  I'm doing my best on this runner to be a true good example of this awesome 4WD & Steer machine.  Not a build thread but took some pic's along the way as there are very few runners . Spent a long time cleaning all the parts and some polishing .

Chassis torn down and  the re build has started with cleaned components.

20170401_184748_zpsvnc3sadd.jpg

Bushings removed and replaced with a bearing kit. This was very painful as the bronze bushings were glued in from the factory making it very difficult to extract out of the alloy housings and hubs.

20170425_002313_zpsg7hbovgd.jpg

For power a Kyosho Motor had to go in so I bought a new Re Re Lemans motor as the magnets will be strong compared to a 30yr old Le Mans.

20170420_164254_zps2qqz9ahz.jpg

To my horror the new expensive Le Mans was only a 30T and had bushings. For those who know the old Le Man's motors this is the same spec as a Le Mans 600E. So I knocked the bushings out and replaced them with some bearings

20170425_002053_zpst7i6l6py.jpg

For wheels and tires I kept the original wheels but the original tyres were shot so after some thinking I decided on using Tamiya Super Shot wheels at the rear and Hot Shot tires up the front. I chose these as no foam inners had to be used. I had to cut them down to suit the 1.7" rears and 1.9" fronts. You can see how much had to be cut and shunted.

20170407_140056_zpsrgonrzyy.jpg

I had to ,make my own steering linkages as they were missing. Used a alloy servo arm and Tamiya fox bits to do the front link while a used some 3mm rod with  eyelets for the rear. First attempt.

20170425_190301_zpsphrrk2t2.jpg

Found out the rear steering link interfered with the vintage esc so this is the 2nd version

20170425_212144_zpseuqe2q3q.jpg

Custom made front numberplate done and is now taking shape. Hope the body shell turns out.

20170425_162714_zpswx0z0a7r.jpg

• Like 4

I've also a working MK2, but why don't you respect the original rear steering patern ?

Which glue did you used for the tires ? How long they last ? I still have the original one's but they are too fragile to be used.