Leckster

Buggy Champ vs Fighting Buggy - runner

Hi all,

Ive decided I cannot put if off any longer, I need a SRB in my life... so, in your opinion which would make the better runner - re re Buggy Champ or Fighting Buggy?

Both seem to have their pros and cons, having great difficulty in trying to make up my mind, I've watched countless videos!

Looking to use on the beach and in the dunes and before any one say's....; no sadly I cannot afford to get both:huh:

Cheers

In my experience the Buggy Champ has better tires for sand (Sand Scorcher even more so), and I would say a well sealed (at the wire entry points) radio box is probably slightly better for running on sand and near water. They're far from waterproof and water (and sand) *will* get in, but at least your steering servo isn't completely exposed.

Use sealant on the gearbox too, whatever your ultimate choice.

Handling-wise I've never noticed all that much in it. They both handle pretty badly, which is what makes them fun ;). Use green slime on the shocks - lots of people on here say they have badly leaking shocks on their SRB Runners. I've always built mine with green slime and they've been fine.

Oh PS, for beach running I would suggest don't put in a diff, just in case you were thinking of that upgrade. You're better off without one when you're on sand.

@GooneyBird and I ran both on the beach last summer. Well, ok is was a Scorcher rather than a Champ, but same chassis.

On sand it doesn't make a great deal of difference. Both had sand in everywhere, gearbox, radio gear, everything. And so both required serious cleaning afterwards.

The Fighting Buggy is considerably less likely to roll than the Buggy Champ as the rear suspension is less likely to catapault the car into the air. Also the Fighting Buggy can

clear rough terrain rather better due to that very light front end. It is surprising stable really.

At low to medium speeds, the Buggy Champ suspension movement looks more scale.

But for sand the differences are very slight, whereas on dirt, the Fighting Buggy is vastly better.

My vote is for the buggy champ. Radio box will protect your gear far better than the radio plate on the fighting buggy.  Either way get an aluminum chassis. 

197DA27E-4C7B-4449-86AA-61EDE458BC90_zps

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Leckster said:

Hi all,

Ive decided I cannot put if off any longer, I need a SRB in my life... so, in your opinion which would make the better runner - re re Buggy Champ or Fighting Buggy?

Both seem to have their pros and cons, having great difficulty in trying to make up my mind, I've watched countless videos!

Looking to use on the beach and in the dunes and before any one say's....; no sadly I cannot afford to get both:huh:

Neither!

Run a Kyosho Scorpion!! :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

Much better radiobox, miles better handling...!

• Like 1

Here's a video of my runner with a Epic 17turn brushed motor, Novak cyclone ESC, 2 cell lipo pack

Thank you for all your replies and comments - all very helpful and will help me make up my mind!

Liking the photo and video clip too Shodog, and Willychang - I also really like the Scorpion re re but decided to discount it as I have more Kyosho's than Tamiya right now!

• Like 1

P.S. How does a Wild One re re compare as a beach runner to the SRB? - before I open another can of worms!

Lol, you haven't opened a can of worms at all. Opinions will be different of course, but my comparison is of the standard cars and Shodog's is of

a modified car, so of course will be very different.

If you're only going to run the kit motor and keep the cars as close to standard as possible for nostalgia purposes like me, then my advice may be more relevant.

If you're going to add more power and maybe modify tyres and suspension etc, then Shodog's advice will be more relevant.

It all depends what you're going to do with it.

I don't have a Wild One, so I can't help you with that sorry.

The Wild one would be a great beach runner. I raced one BITD and it has a good balance.  A couple of caveats I see is the transmission will need upgrading to be reliable and Tire selection is limited on the stock wheels. 

On 4/30/2017 at 0:27 PM, Shodog said:

The Wild one would be a great beach runner. I raced one BITD and it has a good balance.  A couple of caveats I see is the transmission will need upgrading to be reliable and Tire selection is limited on the stock wheels. 

Thats good to hear, I've dome some more research and gone back over some old threads - narrowed it down to the Buggy Champ or Wild One, Is plastic an advantage with the wild one running on the beach (no corrosion, cheaper) or would I still long for a SRB??

very nice! Enjoy building it.

These kits really are a bit special.

• Like 1

Quick update;

Looks like I have found a NIB Buggy Champ - hopefully collecting next weekend :) 

If you're going to run it, get an aluminum chassis for it. They are heavier but don flex like the stock chassis which saves your body from breaking. 

+1 on the aluminum chassis. Also, get yourself a stainless steel hardware set for the build.

Shodog, is that the SC harbor? I couldn't get a good look, and haven't been over that way in quite a while. How is it running on softer beach sand like that? Does the car have a tendency to spin its wheels and get stuck? I've been planning on taking my Scorcher to a beach during low tide so I can run on hard packed sand that is just dry on the surface. I'm a 1/4 mile from the beach, and I've actually never driven a car there.

5 hours ago, Shodog said:

If you're going to run it, get an aluminum chassis for it. They are heavier but don flex like the stock chassis which saves your body from breaking. 

3 hours ago, Biz73 said:

+1 on the aluminum chassis. Also, get yourself a stainless steel hardware set for the build.

Shodog, is that the SC harbor? I couldn't get a good look, and haven't been over that way in quite a while. How is it running on softer beach sand like that? Does the car have a tendency to spin its wheels and get stuck? I've been planning on taking my Scorcher to a beach during low tide so I can run on hard packed sand that is just dry on the surface. I'm a 1/4 mile from the beach, and I've actually never driven a car there.

Thanks chaps, I will be ordering a aluminium chassis on along with a stainless steel hardware set. Both seem to be a good idea!

3 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Shodog, is that the SC harbor? I couldn't get a good look, and haven't been over that way in quite a while.

Exactly.  Twin Lakes Beach right at the mouth of the Santa Cruz Harbor.  It runs well on the moist packed sand and you have to keep your speed up when running in the softer sand however you'll be treated to awesome twin rooster tails of sand shooting off the rear tires. 

On 29/04/2017 at 7:49 AM, Shodog said:

My vote is for the buggy champ. Radio box will protect your gear far better than the radio plate on the fighting buggy.  Either way get an aluminum chassis. 

197DA27E-4C7B-4449-86AA-61EDE458BC90_zps

AWESOME shot

• Like 1

On 2017-5-8 at 2:53 AM, Leckster said:

Thanks chaps, I will be ordering a aluminium chassis on along with a stainless steel hardware set. Both seem to be a good idea!

Any tips of the best place to order the above?

thanks

MMM

19 hours ago, madmickmalone said:

Any tips of the best place to order the above?

thanks

MMM

Have a look at Radshape rc for the chassis and either Rc Channel or a couple of sellers on eBay for the stainless steel screw kit.

• Like 2

You can also look for Pargustore.com or pmg828 on Ebay for the chassis. Even sells a Super Champ and a Fighting Buggy top deck version. Also a lower deck for all SRB types. As well as some other cool aluminium upgrades. 

As for the advised stainless steel screw kit. That is a good advise as normal steel and aluminium mixed with water can end up in corrosion. Stainless steel is a better option or use something so that the steel and aluminium will not make any contact. Paint can be a cheap sollution. 

Look on Ebay for twiningmike for a stainless steel kit.