netsmithUK

New site design just went live!

After several weeks of testing the new site just went live :) [ Big thanks to all the guys that helped out with the testing - your feedback was invaluable. Feel free give yourself a shoutout here ]

Its a big step change from the last site I know and will take some getting used to, and it will be tweaked over the coming weeks

If you see anything in the old style, please force refresh your browser caches. If it still persists please post a link to the page here (eh the map page and game page)

If you get server errors anywhere than obviously post links to the pages here too.

Cheers

Chris

Spotted a little typo! In the options box that opens when you hover the mouse pointer over your name - add model etc. After movies you get 'add movice' - spell checker missed that one! 

Looks great :D spotted a couple of things:

Pages have windows-1252 encoding, so certain characters are jumbled on non-Windows OSs. If you can change this to UTF-8 it should sort it.

I'm seeing a spurious "/" before the doctype declaration on member_edit.asp It's visible at the top of the page too.

Probably a good idea to 301 redirect https://www.tamiyaclub.com/default.asp to https://www.tamiyaclub.com/ or you're likely to see split indexing on Google (and possibly divided PageRank)

@Truck Norris Thanks, updated the encoding.

Can't se the spurious / can you send me the snippet of source code?

Got an evening of 301 planned :) Lots of old pages still bringing in people to old links (most of the urls I kept the same, but still a few to old pages that I'd forgot about!)

Cheers

Chris

the new site is looking looking really good, especially on mobile, great work so far.

I have come across one issue (I'm a mac, using safari with latest updates etc, also tried chrome and firefox) and when I click on the forum link I get the following message:

Please update your bookmark for the forum to http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum

clicking goes gives the same page.

I tried clearing the cache, no luck but can still get to the forum if I have a direct url to a post etc

Also I noticed that on the special interest groups page, each banner comes up twice, seems a little redundant.

@yogi-bear thanks for the feedback.

I saw the forum link issue in the logs but couldn't work out what was causing it thought it must have been some real old bookmarks someone had. If you try it again now it should be ok.

The SIG banners are repeating because I've increased the allowed size of the banners that can be uploaded (to twice the size) but havn't told any sign owners yet, so their current ones are auto repeating to fill the space. I'll send an email around to all of them in due course.

Cheers

Chris

• Thanks 1

Also for those people hitting them

Real Car reference,

Other makes

Map

Game

will all be returning with a proper page shortly

Cheers

Chris

5 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

@yogi-bear thanks for the feedback.

I saw the forum link issue in the logs but couldn't work out what was causing it thought it must have been some real old bookmarks someone had. If you try it again now it should be ok.

That was quick!

5 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

The SIG banners are repeating because I've increased the allowed size of the banners that can be uploaded (to twice the size) but havn't told any sign owners yet, so their current ones are auto repeating to fill the space. I'll send an email around to all of them in due course.

Cheers

Chris

ah, that makes sense.

One quick question, and just out of curiosity, how do you select the main page title images that rotate. Is it derived from all uploaded pics, or do you create them?

The main page banners are currently pulled from previous competition winners. I'll look at widening this selection process at some point. 

It looks good, reminds me of Facebook... LOL..

One small thing that I'm finding a little annoying is the size of the Menu bar at the top of the page when you scroll down .. If you have menu bars open in your browser, you lose 1/3 of your screen... (I'm using Internet Explorer on Windows 10 if that matters)

See pics below.

TC1.jpg

TC2.jpg

2 hours ago, netsmithUK said:

@Truck Norris Thanks, updated the encoding.

Can't se the spurious / can you send me the snippet of source code?

It's not showing now, typical haha! :)

It's showing as UTF-8 now, but still seeing the junk characters. On this page the umlaut in "Schübel", the apostrophes and the "•" bullet points don't show. They worked fine on the old site, so something is getting mangled somewhere: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=130448&id=43050

Just noticed that the edit model page has the page title "Add model" too.

@backlash - thats not what its meant to look like. Anyone else seeing the header bar like that? I'll investigate and see if I can see what the issue is.

@Truck Norris I remember now that why I switched to iso-8859-1. I've switched it back now and no longer see the odd characters on that page. Do you?

One more! Comment notification emails still have the sportmonkey URL rather than the live TC one.

just added a quick 'real cars' section. Still needs some work, to make it easier to find the cars you are after, but personally I find this new format much more engaging to just browse through - there are some great pictures in there

https://tamiyaclub.com/realcars.asp

A FEW inputs I hope. I can't get anything to change on the drop downs on the REAL CAR page you just referenced and I do want to know HOW DOES someone find that when they are looking for it. I am an ID 10 T error kinda person, so please bear with my stupidity if you will. I have an Ipad and plonked around on the site with that earlier in the day and now on the desktop with Firefox. I like the FAST UP button on the main site and would like to know if you have plans to add that to the forums pages as it would help immensely for me I think.

Other things are the FONT SIZE. I think it is TOO HUGE and wondered if something between the size of the TamiyaClub logo and the current GIANT letters would be suitable for every one else too??? Just asking, not demanding.

I think the Ipad did it to me earlier, but there were some TINY links that blended in too easily with the background and I couldn't see them all when I was trying that out, but you might have fixed that. when I get more time on the Ipad and can research it better, I will let you know.

Thanks for the leaps and bounds you have done thus far with this great looking site.

The realcar page, is literally just a placeholder at the moment, it will get better :)

Font size, I quite like the bigger sizes, maybe my eye sight is going as I get older. Its not cast in stone though. I take on board what you mean by some of the smaller links though. Trying to fix those - If you spot them anywhere then please post an url.

Cheers

Chris

Great job, well done and Thank You !

I hope you don't mind the questions.....  On the new main page, is there a way I can review all the models (load more content) to view any that I might have missed.  If I go away from a computer or devise for any period of time (days or weeks), I like to go back and see all the models that have been entered over that time period.  Can I still do that ?

Also is there an optimum size for uploading pics.  I've been told 1024 x 768 (medium) is that the best size ?  Thanks again.

@Thommo Review cars that have been uploaded since your last visit? I think the page is the same as before unless I've missed something https://www.tamiyaclub.com/mainshowroombrowse.asp

Image sizes the largest we display them at is 1024px wide at the moment but I'm working on a few ideas which might need bigger, so I'd go for 2048px if you can for a bit of future proofing. Heights up to you, although if you post some extreme portrait shots - very tall and thin - they could look odd in some places, so probably best keep the height below 2048px too. Note this doesn't mean you can only upload squares, you can upload any aspect ratios you like, as long as they don't exceed the maximum length or height

Brilliant,  greatly appreciated Chris !  That's exactly what I'd missed :rolleyes:

2048px it is and intrigued by the "few ideas"...will wait and see what comes.  Cheers.