netsmithUK

New site design just went live!

Found one more little bug concerning the model-Counter in my showroom. I have added 3 more models lately but seems that the Counter is still "freezed" at a total of 47. But when i count my showroom entries, they're all there. Not a big issue i know..

I had 3 trade entries, deleted one but counter still displays 3, days later?

Working on the numbers thing. Calculating them is quite easy, doing it in a way that doesn't grind the site to its knees Im finding is a bit harder. Should get it sorted shortly.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Chris, I seem to be having quite the time getting into the forums from my gmail link "GO TO THIS POST" button while on my iPad. It is a Gen 2, latest IOS to my knowledge and it just goes into a blank Safari page/tab, no content. I have wanted to add my two cents worth on a bunch of things, but I can't do it from there and I guess I haven't tried it from signing into the actual forum as I would spend all day searching for the forums that I was being updated on and such, call me a bit lazy, but I much like the clik a link to jump right into the pool and on my iPad it ain't happening, but on my computer, it works well.

Still getting little to no time on the new site, but I a hoping for some more time in the future, BIG learning curve for me on this mod, but I am willing to give it a go before I throw up my hands in disgust.

Hi @Crash Cramer Sorry to hear you are having problems. I've not touched any of the forum software at all as part of the new site launch, its literally running the same code as the previous design, as its completely independent of the main sites code.

I'll have a search of the web and see if anyone is having similar problems with the forum software on ipads. Gmail on ipad 2nd Gen is not a combo I can test personally, so if anyone else is running the same set up, any feedback would be welcome.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks, both of you, now wouldn't you know THIS time the GO TO THIS POST got me right here. I wonder if it might have something to do with the length of the posts and how much content(photos, et al) there is that could be hanging it up.

Chris

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been highlighted yet but I can't view all of my favourites that I have saved in my showroom. I have saved 268 of other people's models in my favourites but can only see about 70 of them. Any idea why?

On 23/06/2017 at 9:13 PM, Wandy said:

Not sure if this has been highlighted yet but I can't view all of my favourites that I have saved in my showroom. I have saved 268 of other people's models in my favourites but can only see about 70 of them. Any idea why?

Any ideas on this @netsmithUK? I have got 259 favourites but can only see 80 of them.

Something else I noticed yesterday - when submitting a model to the competition you get two rogue JavaScript alerts, presumably left over from AJAX debugging.

Possibly an issue with the Sales area on the main site. I sold a painted figure, marked it as sold but have had several enquiries about it since. It seems that the ad is still live and there's nothing to indicate that it's been sold.

(I know I could just delete it but it's useful as a reference/reminder for me.)

On 2.5.2017 at 7:47 AM, GregM said:

My bugreport:

wp_ss_20170502_0002yhb8v.jpg

Tamiyaclub logo is missing from the top bar.

The floating top bar takes up a lot of screen estate, even when scrolling down.

Internet Explorer on Nokia Lumia 620, running Windows Phone 8.10.14219.341.
All available system/OS and program updates and patches are installed.

My suggestion:

Please allow the top bar to be non-floating, so it will be hidden once the user scrolls down the page. Will make viewing the site much more pleasant on small screens.

EDIT:

My own opinion:

Thick floating top bars are pretty annoying on both small and larger screens. They are a bad habit incorporated into many websites of the recent years. If they can't be avoided at all cost, please make them as thin as possible. On large screens, I do not maximize my browser window, since I use a sidebar for my bookmarks and have other programs (e.g. music player) running while browsing.

The bug and opinion stated above still applies.

As much as I appreciate the general ideas behind the mainsite update, the final design wastes a lot of space on the screen, both on mobile devices as well as on desktop computer screens. Since the update, browsing through the mainsite has become an unpleasant experience for me. This is why I feel less likely to go to the mainsite, looking for showrooms or the classified sections.

On 23/06/2017 at 9:13 PM, Wandy said:

On 26/06/2017 at 8:19 PM, Wandy said:

Any ideas on this @netsmithUK? I have got 259 favourites but can only see 80 of them.

On 27/06/2017 at 8:41 AM, netsmithUK said:

Will look into both - thanks

Any movement on this @netsmithUK? I'm really missing viewing my favourites.

@wandy - that is now fixed :)

The number is a bit out  (in your case 19) as a result of some of the model owners of those your favourited deleting them at some point. I'll update all those numbers at some so they are correct and keep uptodate going forward.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, netsmithUK said:

@wandy - that is now fixed :)

The number is a bit out  (in your case 19) as a result of some of the model owners of those your favourited deleting them at some point. I'll update all those numbers at some so they are correct and keep uptodate going forward.

Fantastic. Cheers. :)

Anyone else having problems with site.  I have tended not to come on so much recently mainly because I find the look hard work on Laptop, Ipad and phone in case anyone asks), but having tried the last couple of days I seem to get site not found when I log in, or pick a topic from the recents on the left.  Tried Google Chrome and Microsoft edge.

Thanks

No issues for me, whether on chromebook, chrome on laptop or safari on iphone.

I have problems to log-in using safari on iPhone and iPad. The login-screen appears, I can enter the data, but then nothing happens. The login-screen does not disappear, there is no error message, it just doesn't work.

However, login using a Windows PC works without problems.

Besides the issues mentioned today (and the Nokia issue above) I've nothing raised. The most testing done is in Safari on iphone, ipad and mac. Are we talking about issues with logging into the forum or the main site?

The main site, is tested and I can see people logging in every day. That said if there is a reason the login fails then it stays on the same screen and a message appears on the screen. Its possible that certain plugins might interfere with the message - can you try again with all browser extensions/plugins turned off?

Cheers

Chris

Chris, first of all, new site looks great.

Here are some bugs I encountered.
1. The Add me as a new friend button in a mempers profile / showroom does not seem to do anything or does not give a response something happened when you clicked on it.

2. Sometimes I get a:

Server Error

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

In fact one of my showroom entrys is double (Bling Willy) and I cannot enter 1 of them myself. Even do I do see this:

image.png.7beb48ddcff9d61748ec572eb7e5a511.png

I get the 500 error when I edit of add a showroom page. Not always, but quite often. Tried if a different browser made any difference, but it doesn't. (Tried Edge, Chrome, Firefox and IE11). 

I hope you can find the problem and resolve it. Keep up the good work!

Frank.

@Cesco thanks for that. Will investigate. When you get that server error again please can you make a note of the URL in the address bar and roughly the time of day and let me know. It will help me track it down.

Cheers

Chris

After the forum got updated to match better to the redesigned site in the last months, it feels slower and slower on mobile devices.

Even on fast Wi Fi connections at home, while loading a thread you can count the seconds while you see elements get loaded, displayed and rearranged in the process to match the screen size. In thread lists, thread previews are shown with more text lines and then suddenly are collapsed to less lines displayed. The Photobucket notification thread preview that is shown anywhere on the forum regardless where you navigate to, also takes its merry time to display and get auto-collapsed.

Having more than a handful of Youtube video previews displayed in a thread brings mobile browsers to a halt or even crash them if they get out of hand.

The not-so-recent forum software from beginning of 2017 or end of 2016 wasn't as bad. The recent forum updates make your mobile device obsolete if its older than two years, since those hipster framework and forum designers always have the newest iPhone and Samsung in mind. They stuff their frameworks with so much unnecessary Javascript, until they get bloated and take up a good chuck of processing time and memory of your mobile device. This is fine for the small percentage of tech-savy people, but igoring the majority of users that stick with their devices that were able to cope with all of the web easily not a long time ago.