chickenman242tk

Boomerang universal shafts?

I'm in the middle of building a runner boomer and would like to add some front uni shafts , its currently using the larger vtg cups and dogbones , is there a uni shaft that is a direct fit to this like maybe the df02?

Also what would be the better uni to look at , should a go with tamiya unis or 3rd party?

I strongly suggest you to open both and rear gearboxes and replace the differential outdrives with the Thundershot type, also used by Manta Ray series, TA01/02 series and various other models.

Then buy four modern CVD shafts for DF-03/DT-02 (Dark Impact/Sand Viper) and place them all around.
The vintage shafts and cups are rubbish. The front CVDs are mandatory for the steering abilities of the car, the rear CVDs are mandatory because the motor torque goes all on rear shafts.
31 years of Boomerang experiences, believe me.

Max

• Like 3

I have said this b4 chickenman242tk :P . 

Do you have the part number for the correct diff outdrives please kontemax? I would like to change my vintage outdrives and dog bones for universal driveshafts Thanks :-)

I totally agree with the use of universal shafts , however the driveline in this car is quite new and would rather just update the front for now , and depending on how much I use it I will change the rears

Is there not a uni that can use the boomer cups?, just trying to keep costs down lol

I run Top Force uni's in my Boomerang, but I would wait until the re re top force hits again, they will be considerably cheaper than they are currently.

53218 are the Hard joint cup set . This is what i use .

@chickenman242tk you can use tlo1 type , but they not that great for long use . but will work . 

Think it's the same as TA01/2 etc . Then all you need is Uni's . 

"Top Force" universal joints are weak.

Use modern CVD drives. I have no numbers of these parts at the moment but with Google is an easy search.
Original shafts and cups are rubbish, I said. They will wear out in hours of use.

The other option is the rerelease Hot Shot/Super Hot Shot aluminum propeller shaft and cups. They cost like nuts on ebay.
Replace ths drive train shafts if you want to enjoy the Boomerang.

Max

I have already changed the prop shaft, so it's the diff outputs and drive shafts next.

If you change the drive shafts from the original,New drive cups as well as re re gearbox cases have to be purchased as the C lips and E clips are different from the original to re re. .

Top force uni's rubbish. That's news to me as my Top force has never failed me or my Boomer or Big Wig and I run 12t brushless and lower. Then again I race on dirt  only.

17 minutes ago, MAD RACER said:

If you change the drive shafts from the original,New drive cups as well as re re gearbox cases have to be purchased as the C lips and E clips are different from the original to re re. .

Top force uni's rubbish. That's news to me as my Top force has never failed me or my Boomer or Big Wig and I run 12t brushless and lower. Then again I race on dirt  only.

He has the vintage Boomerang so he doesn't need the e-clips. He can continue to use the original C-clips with the original gearbox shells. He can mount the re-released Boomerang differential cups or the TA-01, TA-02, TL-01, Manta Ray differential cups, as well.

I was speaking about the vintage Boomerang half shafts as rubbish, not the Top Force UJs.
The Top Force UJs are not rubbish, they are only weak and you can break them, expecially on rear end.

Max

5 hours ago, kontemax said:

"Top Force" universal joints are weak.

Use modern CVD drives. I have no numbers of these parts at the moment but with Google is an easy search.
Original shafts and cups are rubbish, I said. They will wear out in hours of use.

The other option is the rerelease Hot Shot/Super Hot Shot aluminum propeller shaft and cups. They cost like nuts on ebay.
Replace ths drive train shafts if you want to enjoy the Boomerang.

Max

I assume if you want to upgrade the rereboomerang to cvd there is no need to replace the drive cups? 

54 minutes ago, StueyS said:

Are these the correct parts for my original Boomerang diff outputs?

https://tamiyabase.com/index.php?option=com_joodb&view=article&id=4504&joobase=10&Itemid=775

They will work.
I give you a little tip: buy four 850 ball bearings and mount one of them each differential cup.

Open the gearboxes.
Disassemble the vintage cups.
Take the new smaller cup.
Put the 850 onto the axle of the cup.
Push the cup in the gearbox through the 1150 ball bearing (mandatory ball bearing, if you don't have it you must have it).
Put the C-clip.

Be sure to have the vintage gearboxes with the C-clips and not the re-released gearboxes with the E-clips.

By this way you will have a double ball bearing differential cup, one big (1150) inside the gearbox and one small (850) outside the gearbox.
The second ball bearing (the 850, the outer one) will make the cup firmer. Less wornes, less noises, more precision, less friction, more speed.

Max

7 minutes ago, gt6++ said:

I assume if you want to upgrade the rereboomerang to cvd there is no need to replace the drive cups? 

I believe that he has the vintage Boomerang with bigger cups.

Max

Thanks for tips max , i have dug through my boxes of stuff and found a set of unis that came off my supershot , they aren't new but ill give them a go and see how long they last.

For some reason this car has vintage cups and gearboxes but a new chassis , it came with a rere hotshot prop so that is in there too. I'll have to get some pics up soon , just waiting on rear wheels atm

I am pretty sure I now have the re re gearbox casings as I replaced them both, and now have the e clips fitted along with the 1150 ballraces. I still have the original diff outputs and dog bones. I did fit some new Hotshot re re (I think) diff outputs, then discovered the original dog bones would not fit as the ball ends of the drive shafts are too big.

• Like 1

Yes Max "WHATEVER"

Then again I haven't ever busted a Universal. " Not saying you have MAX"

Guess I don't know Jack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gt6++ said:

Yes . If you have re re boomerang , all you need it CVD'S . 

15 hours ago, StueyS said:

I am pretty sure I now have the re re gearbox casings as I replaced them both, and now have the e clips fitted along with the 1150 ballraces. I still have the original diff outputs and dog bones. I did fit some new Hotshot re re (I think) diff outputs, then discovered the original dog bones would not fit as the ball ends of the drive shafts are too big.

If you have the re re gearboxes the tip of the 850 ball bearings doesn't work.

Maybe you also need the re re Boomerang differential outdrives.

Max

15 hours ago, MAD RACER said:

Yes Max "WHATEVER"

Then again I haven't ever busted a Universal. " Not saying you have MAX"

Guess I don't know Jack.

I'm sorry to say that I broke two Top Force universal joints, one vintage Avante/Egress universal joint, one King Cab/Monster racer universal joint.

I also worn out several universal joints. All these joints have different lenght and shape but the same material and identical joint design.

I also worn out several FF universal joints.

I ran with 10 to 13 brushed motors on dirty track.

CVDs are the light!!!

Max

It looks like I have already have the Boomerang re re diff outputs 9808129, but did not fit them when I realised the old dog bones would not fit. So it looks like I just need the universal drive shafts after all :-)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm thinking about upgrading my '86 Boomerang to dt03 Cvds, I'm just unsure about the drive cups. 

Do I need the same Cvds front and rear, and the same rere drive cups in both gear boxes?

I only ask as the front and rear drive cups are different on the 86 boomerang (silver/black) do I need different re re drive cups or not?

For example will these work front and rear or not?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264291135756

Edited by TraxxxTemp
Link missing

The 86 boomerang has bigger out drives and dog bones and wheel axle's , So if you want to put DT03 Cvd's you need the

out drives ( gearbox side ) , Use the C-clips on OLD gearbox's , If you use RE RE Gearbox ( G parts tree )  you need to use

the E-clip on re re gearbox's .  

Yep , get too set's on that Ebay page , they will fit great . 

• Like 1