Antok

Porsche 935 turbo

Hey guys!

So I'm still pretty new to model building and have only done balsa planes so far but recently found a Tamiya Porsche 935 Turbo. Was told they're pretty rare by a friend so I don't know if I should build it or not. What are your guys thoughts?

• Like 1

They are rare Antok. It was the second car in Tamiya's lineup. I found one in shambles for free, and restored it. I actually just acquired the correct black front bumper last year from another TC member. You can see it in my showroom (click my sig link). 

Do you have any photos of it? I'm assuming it's new in box? 

Welcome Antok. I love a bit of balsa bashing too but Tamiya will give you new types of enjoyment.

You need to put some pictures up for us to help.

In brief there are 3 main 935 kits.

The most collectable and expensive is the second scale model that Tamiya made into RC #58002. It is a hard ABS body, very detailed, on a very basic metal chassis.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?cid=2

If you have a NIB one of these you may be sitting on a very valuable piece of history.

In the mid 2000's Tamiya re-released the car, this time with a lexan body on a rather nice chassis called the GT01.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?cid=879

The latter is worth a lot less but is a lot of fun to drive. If you have one of these, build it and enjoy it. The resale value is low so no point in leaving it untouched IMHO.

Also note that Tamiya made a 1:12 full scale 935 static kit which is awesome but not RC.

That is a remarkable find and probably worth quite a bit of cash.

Not sure if it would be worth building it unless it is something you always dreamed of owning / driving and you are fulfilling a dream.

in truth the chassis is very simple and won't take long to build while getting the body to look perfect will take some good painting skills and patience with old decals.

If I were you I would sell it and buy something truly awesome. If you want a taste of Tamiya greatness get yourself a re-re Bruiser!

I think if I tried building it I would butcher it lol. Defiantly would want to sell it,  how much would it go for?

Whoa, that's a great looking kit :o

You can sell to me for $24.99, just like it says on the box! LOL.  

These kits VERY RARELY pop up on ebay and most of them swap hands privately between collectors. There's only 33 of them NIB in the model showroom. You're easily looking north of $1500, probably much, much more than that. 

Lol that's how much I paid for it at the thrift shop last week. Got 2 other Tamiya models there too, both motor cycles.

On 05/05/2017 at 8:29 PM, Antok said:

Lol that's how much I paid for it at the thrift shop last week. Got 2 other Tamiya models there too, both motor cycles.

You have got to be absolutely ***** me! Wow!!!!! Talk about that shop not knowing what they had. 

Can't complain about mine, I got it for free and spent less than $50 to restore it ;)

Im starting to think I made out like a bandit, found the same model on eBay but it was already built and kinda beat up, was selling for $640

28 minutes ago, Antok said:

Im starting to think I made out like a bandit, found the same model on eBay but it was already built and kinda beat up, was selling for $640

Yeah, built and unrestored examples typically can go for $300-$500 depending on completeness. Most have lost their original speed controllers or steering components, nor have the original transmitter. 

You did well Antok, you'll make one helluva profit on that thing. 

So I've never sold something like this, any advice on where the best place to do so is? Would like to get the most I could for it, will help with the down payment I'm about to make on a new car lol

Antok,

I'm sure you can try your luck here in the Sales section. You're not gonna get hit with the ebay fees, plus I think you'd be able to work out a more "personable" experience with a potential buyer. Buyers will and should be cautious due to your low post count and especially the $ tag with this model since it's rare and NIB. That's not a knock against you per se.

Neat to see your post though. These type of threads are few and far between when someone finds a rare NIB Tamiya for an incredible price.  

Yeah I can understand why they would be cautious about this, but would love to sell it to someone and see them build and post pictures of it.

If only it wasn't worth so much I would have loved building it myself and racing it around.

31 minutes ago, Antok said:

Yeah I can understand why they would be cautious about this, but would love to sell it to someone and see them build and post pictures of it.

If only it wasn't worth so much I would have loved building it myself and racing it around.

On the upside, you'll know that it's going to a good home and who the buyer/TC member is.

5 hours ago, njmlondon said:

You have indeed made out like a bandit! 

gee, Smokey isn't even on the same scale.

This find is more like The Italian Job AND Oceans Eleven/12/13 added together :P 

On 5/5/2017 at 9:29 PM, Antok said:

Hate is such a strong word, but you know ;)

Congrats on the find - that is truly a score!