casethejoint

Funco SRB Build (short rear track width)

I like what you're doing with that customization and reconstruction. It's amazing the kind of things one can do with plastic.

One question, the nicely finished Fighting buggy bodyshell in the back... are you using it as guide for your work with this one?

Don't worry about the tires, why not getting wheel adapters so you could use the 1994 Jeep Wrangler Eagle tires instead?

Keep up the good work! :)

Related image

• Like 1

Hey Erich

You're right, Wrangler Eagles would be a good size match - but no, has to be Sand Blasters. Don't know why. I have a bit of a love affair with those tires I guess.

Yep, the shell is from my vintage Super-Champ that I restored a few years ago (https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=100992&id=26801 / https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=99735). I'm indeed using it as guide - not to copy dimensions or positioning (the sides on mine are different) but very useful for ideas and angles etc. 

I also had a normal rough rider shell on the bench while I was doing the cheeks to remind me of where the bits were that I had cut off.

Today I did a bit of work on the chassis, completing the front suspension and steering. I went for the SuperChamp style, as I had a spare SC servo saver and some old tie rods. I sprayed the rods matt black.

I found some really nice metal servo mounts on an old SC speedo servo too. Not sure if those originally came with the SC or if that was someones subsequent hopup?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2402.jpg

The rest of the bodywork today was all about spraying guide coats on to see the holes, gaps and scrapes and then filling. So I didn't bother taking pics, basically looks same as some of the other above shots at the moment, but getting better each pass of course.

I have managed to get one side of the crescent shape for the top of the shocks done at the rear. Quite pleased with this - think it'll look great when done.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23fe.jpg

You can see one of my original guide cut marks above it. Originally I was thinking of mounting longer shocks and have them sit up much higher, but after making that guide line quickly ruled that idea out. These *just* clear the rear shock mounts, and the shock will sit nicely in the middle of the circle and then with the Bel Ray logo above, eg something like:-

funco-bel-ray.thumb.jpg.fd063b418b72a3ac35a9f8808aca731e.jpg

I've decided to go with this classic colour scheme btw. I know it's been done to death, but I think for good reason :)

I have plans for the roof though that will be a little different to this....

• Like 2

Nice work there Dean. About the servo mounts, YES, those are the stock original ones that come with the 1982 kit. Very nice stuff for sure ;)

• Like 1

I'd love to do the twin shocks thing, but I'm not sure I have any clearance left with my shortened rear arms - as it is even a single shock is a tight fit and only just misses the tire.

I might have to think up a new shock mount system. Thinking cap is on...

More surgery on the front today.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2412.jpg

Once I'd taken the nose off I decided to re-use the removed piece, but want it slightly shorter so removed a slice.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2414.jpg

I've seen a few Funco SRBs with a really steep angle rake back and I think that looks cool too, but for some reason I felt with this not to overdo it. I played around with it in a few configurations and ended up with this quite subtle angle.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2417.jpg

A couple of dabs of PlastiWeld in the corners was enough to hold it in this position long enough for me to put in support at the rear.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2418.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2419.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_241c.jpg

I also "welded" in some scraps of styrene to give some re-enforcement prior to filling. Took a shot of this because it looks like a set of comedy teeth ;)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2422.jpg

So right now we're looking like this:-

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_241f.jpg

Lots of filling and sanding still on-going. I can see at least another 2-3 goes before I'm happy with it.

I think this is the really hard stuff (or at least new stuff for me) now complete and the rest of it is pretty much in my comfort zone. I will be cutting this section out at the rear:-

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2424.jpg

... but I'm leaving that piece in for now while I'm sanding, as it provides some useful structural strength while I finish up the shock absorber arches.

Next up I want to try and work out the rear shock absorber arrangement.

Also, I need to find some Centerline style SRB wheel covers - anyone know where I can get a set ?

• Like 2

That's them - thank you, good find! I normally look at Pargus stuff on eBay - didn't realise he had a store too :)

2 hours ago, casethejoint said:

That's them - thank you, good find! I normally look at Pargus stuff on eBay - didn't realise he had a store too :)

Personally I've only bought from his eBay store but have his website available for reference purposes (whenever I'm trying to avoid eBay :) )

That's exactly who I was going to recommend. Great service and products at a fair price. I've bought loads from him over the years :)

Thanks guys, wheels are on way :)

In the meantime I think I had already mentioned that I had plans for the roof. Got that started tonight. This is kind of the look I'm after.

IMG_1011.jpg

I started with a card mockup (easier to play with in 3D then flatten out to make the cuts in styrene) and gave myself a brief of "... make the most 70's looking line you can" :)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_243e.jpg

Picked the lower of the two in the end.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2440.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2442.jpg

Transferred that to styrene. I cut both at the same time to ensure they're identical.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2444.jpg

Glued and then braced.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_244f.jpg

A single rib at the back I think should do the trick to hold the curve (I'm using 0.5mm thin styrene for the side ears).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_244d.jpg

I kind of massaged the front into position and glued it holding by hand.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2455.jpg

The rear was then easy. Currently I'm looking like this.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2447.jpg

You can see here that only a nominal amount of filling on the body, which is a good sign and yes I'm finally coming to the end of that thankfully.

I'm hoping that tomorrow I can finish off the filling, finish off this roof and then start on the interior floor pan and dash (have the templates - made those also today).

• Like 6

2 hours ago, casethejoint said:

IMG_1011.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2447.jpg

If you look carefully at both pictures you can notice that the general height of the original body in the first picture is less than in the Tamiya model.
At the end the Tamiya body is too tall.

Max

• Like 1

6 hours ago, casethejoint said:

Oh, PS - I have a plan for the double rear shocks. More on that to follow ;)

Now that is music to my ears :) 

I think you've proved that you should never be put off by styrene work ever again.  Consider yourself an expert ;) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kontemax said:

If you look carefully at both pictures you can notice that the general height of the original body in the first picture is less than in the Tamiya model.
At the end the Tamiya body is too tall.

That and a whole bunch of other dimension issues means a true scale Funco isn't possible on the SRB chassis, but I'm not going to let that put me off tipping my hat to Funco and having some fun with it ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Steve. I am now definitely high on the confidence stakes, and that's probably 90% of it anyway!

• Like 1

Thought I'd get some pics during a rare moment where this shell is all one colour! Still lots of filling, sanding, priming (moved onto white primer now in final stages) going on...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2467.jpg

KEv_Hu_XA_R_S6b_SVWs_Wj4ag_thumb_2472.jp

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246f.jpg

Here's where I am on the double shock mount thinking.

Ignoring the top mount for the moment (which should be a fairly simple bracket I can fabricate in alloy), I'm thinking about a "shoe" in alloy that takes both shock shafts, held in holes with M2 grub screws and I'll attach that to the rear wishbone standard shock mount with a screw which I'll drill all the way through.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2483.jpg

The above is an initial mock up of the shoe part so no M2 hole taps yet, or other mounting - it's all just resting in place. I think this might just work, but I need to build in some flex here, so this week I need to see if I can get a rubber "sole" onto the shoe so that it's not such a direct mechanical coupling.

For any latecomers to this thread the reason I can't mount the shocks normally is because I've reduced the track width at the rear meaning even a single shock mounted in the traditional way rubs against the rear tire.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Once I drill the hole in the rear wishbone to mount this I'm kind of committed, so will sleep on it a day or two before making any final decisions :)

• Like 2

That's a great update, the car is looking amazing 😉 

The twin shocks look great. Your alloy work so far has been top notch, way out of my comfort zone. 

The only idea I can think of is a flat plate with right angle returns either end so a bolt went all the through each shock end but the end of the plate toward s the original screw mounting point is bigger and drop s lower so another  bolt can go into the mounting point. Stop laughing I know ithat made no sense. I know what I mean :) 

i can't sketch it up I haven't sorted out my photo hosting since Photobucket went silly 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SRB Bloke said:

Stop laughing I know ithat made no sense.

No that makes perfect sense actually. I think you mean like this (using my original shock shafts in the shoe rather than your suggested regular shock ends + bolt which I think might shorten the travel too much?):-

rear-shocks.png.942ef18d0a94c048f300891f3f764e35.png

Which is a nice idea because (a) non-destructive to wishbone and (b) I can probably use a standard tamiya rubber bushing + metal insert. Rear-most shock might rock a little but that'll just add to the fun.

I like it, thanks. Sold :)

4 hours ago, SRB Bloke said:

Your alloy work so far has been top notch

Smoke, mirrors and great camera angles ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casethejoint said:

rear-shocks.png.942ef18d0a94c048f300891f3f764e35.png

That's the sort thing I was thinking, also using the existing mounting hole allows them swivel as the suspension arm moves up and down.  :)