Jump to content
smirk-racing

Lunchbox slow-motion beach run (6s)

Recommended Posts

Hi all, thought I'd share a recent beach run with the Lunchbox. With some mods the Lunchbox can handle quite well:

 

And some at regular speed:

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!

 

Up front, it has the fx10 mod for double wishbone suspension. The crazy bumpsteer is totally gone and in fact the front suspension works really well. Some cheap Traxxas gray shocks provide actual dampening. 

 

In the rear I have a custom four link suspension with panhard bar. 

2sbxJ.jpg

 

2sbxF.jpg

 

The rear suspension is what really makes the truck come alive. It is very compliant so the tires stay in contact with the ground a lot more, which reduces diffing out and keeps the truck moving even on rough terrain.

The power of the motor is not as critical as the suspension mods, and the 6s is total overkill. I wouldn't bother with those knowing what I know now. The motor being only 40mm long is very important though, as it clears the suspension links and allows full articulation.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice. Where did you get the metal brackets that the rear links connect to? Did you make them yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool vid!

The most encouraging thing I took from this is that if the FX 10 suspension can handle a 6S setup then it's likely to stand up to anything I'll ever throw at it if/when I get a Lunchbox! (Same goes for Hornet/Hoppers)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

Cool vid!

The most encouraging thing I took from this is that if the FX 10 suspension can handle a 6S setup then it's likely to stand up to anything I'll ever throw at it if/when I get a Lunchbox! (Same goes for Hornet/Hoppers)

The FX10 setup is stronger than any of the surrounding plastic. I have broken multiple front wheels but never the suspension arms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I see it run, the more I like it!

Project #176 added to the list...🙄😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

There is nothing quite like the classic!

 

With a double wishbone front and a 4 bar rear! 🤔😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing.  Fantastic loved watching it and very jealous of your lunchbox 😂. Got a long way to go with mine

On 5/13/2017 at 6:24 PM, smirk-racing said:

Thanks!

 

Up front, it has the fx10 mod for double wishbone suspension. The crazy bumpsteer is totally gone and in fact the front suspension works really well. Some cheap Traxxas gray shocks provide actual dampening. 

 

In the rear I have a custom four link suspension with panhard bar. 

2sbxJ.jpg

 

2sbxF.jpg

 

The rear suspension is what really makes the truck come alive. It is very compliant so the tires stay in contact with the ground a lot more, which reduces diffing out and keeps the truck moving even on rough terrain.

The power of the motor is not as critical as the suspension mods, and the 6s is total overkill. I wouldn't bother with those knowing what I know now. The motor being only 40mm long is very important though, as it clears the suspension links and allows full articulation.

 

 

 

Where can I get the fx10 wishbone suspension?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest you check out the CW-01 parts from Ampro Engineering. They are slightly more expensive but they fit better and the shock geometry is *much* better. 

 

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ampro?section=CW01+Wheelie+Chassis&sort=

You will want 8mm offset.

These parts are slightly less durable than the FX10 parts (3-d printed parts vs molded nylon) but I have put both sets through their paces and the Ampro parts are strong enough for my driving.

The Ampro parts are specifically designed for the Lunchbox and they are an improved design.

The FX10 parts just happen to fit (with slight mods).

Note: I don't get anything by recommending Ampro parts. They are just better.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2017 at 3:52 PM, Wooders28 said:

With a double wishbone front and a 4 bar rear! 🤔😁

Right, those.

Nothing like a *modern* classic!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13 May 2017 at 6:24 PM, smirk-racing said:

Thanks!

 

Up front, it has the fx10 mod for double wishbone suspension. The crazy bumpsteer is totally gone and in fact the front suspension works really well. Some cheap Traxxas gray shocks provide actual dampening. 

 

In the rear I have a custom four link suspension with panhard bar. 

2sbxJ.jpg

 

2sbxF.jpg

 

The rear suspension is what really makes the truck come alive. It is very compliant so the tires stay in contact with the ground a lot more, which reduces diffing out and keeps the truck moving even on rough terrain.

The power of the motor is not as critical as the suspension mods, and the 6s is total overkill. I wouldn't bother with those knowing what I know now. The motor being only 40mm long is very important though, as it clears the suspension links and allows full articulation.

 

 

 

Would you really recommend the fx10 mod ? If so what length shock are you running centre to centre. I will be ordering soon if you recommend it . Still love you lunchbox, very impressed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ampro engineering front suspension parts are better than the fx10 parts. Go up two posts and there is a link. Either way though the double wishbone is a massive difference. The truck is a lot more fun.

 

I think the shocks are 90mm eye to eye but really 80 would be ideal. But the convenience of using stock Traxxas parts (if one is not doing a pure Tamiya build) is worth the excess the length. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smirk-racing said:

Ampro engineering front suspension parts are better than the fx10 parts. Go up two posts and there is a link. Either way though the double wishbone is a massive difference. The truck is a lot more fun.

Do you have a link for the 4 bar set up? Love the way that puts the power to the pavement! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a ~30mph Lunchbox myself I'm interested in the 4 link rear end. If you're confident that the Ampro front end can handle wrecks at that kind of speed I'll order that up right now too.

Bearing in mind that is like a 1:1 car crashing at 360 mph hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Do you have a link for the 4 bar set up? Love the way that puts the power to the pavement! 

I bought the 4-link from a seller on eBay. I don't see any kits available for sale right now. 

If you search for "Tamiya Lunchbox 4-link suspension" on google and/or eBay it should turn up if the seller lists another set. He seems to be a hobbyist himself so I think he produces kits only when he has spare time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Munchbox said:

With a ~30mph Lunchbox myself I'm interested in the 4 link rear end. If you're confident that the Ampro front end can handle wrecks at that kind of speed I'll order that up right now too.

Bearing in mind that is like a 1:1 car crashing at 360 mph hahaha

I am just sharing my experiences. I am not sure what might happen to your truck.

If you want the strongest go fx10. If you want best geometry go Ampro. I prefer Ampro. It is "just right" for a lunchbox. 

I own both kits and have taken many tumbles with both. If it helps, I have cracked front wheel rims multiple times without breaking either type of suspension arm. I consider both to be excellent kit.

Ampro is slightly less durable but a hit that breaks those arms could also break your chassis. The fx10 arms might survive, but in doing so might cause something else to fail, like the suspension arm attachment point (that would be hard to fix).

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...