Carts

Tamiya mf-01x any good?

Looking at getting a mf01x jimny. What are they like? Cheers

There are a few minor issues with the stock kit, but nothing that can't be sorted easily and cheaply with Tamiya parts. When I add one to my fleet, it will be built like this:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Fun to build and you can turn them into pretty decent light crawlers with a few mods.

20170311_210256.thumb.jpg.0b4af088ce1111e9dcc329250b832d50.jpg

Looks great

8 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

There are a few minor issues with the stock kit, but nothing that can't be sorted easily and cheaply with Tamiya parts. When I add I will to my fleet, it will be built like this:

That's really good information thank you. He's knows his stuff XV pilot. 

That he does. He built my Mad Bull for me. :)

It's a neat little rig but the gearing is really too tall for any actual crawling and the steering is downright bad stock. The good thing is that all that can be worked on and modified to work better. 

16 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

There are a few minor issues with the stock kit, but nothing that can't be sorted easily and cheaply with Tamiya parts. When I add one to my fleet, it will be built like this:

When I built one for my wife I followed XV's guide.  It's a wonderful little all-arounder rig.

If you plan to modify the kit, get it in single parts, there is so much tuning options that its probably cheaper to start with the bare chassis.

Only parts that are still stock are the grey chassis, the inner plastic gears and the front bumper. I had so much left over that I ordered those and build a second chassis :)

Qqo7Y-duntkEcqy3L6gSYqRIIHb7rBaC6cy9BZqD

Good advice. What are they like off road? I appreciate they won't be as good as the cc01 or I could be wrong as I imagine it's fairly light. The torque motor in the kit I've got in a m05 golf and it flies 

If you lock the rear diff and slow the front one, they are pretty good offroad from what I have read, every bit as good as a stock CC-01. However I'd imagine that a CC-01 has more upgrade options.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:26 AM, Carts said:

Looking at getting a mf01x jimny. What are they like? Cheers

Do not think just do it!

As stated A few mods and it shines. Great chassis for compact 4X4's IMO

On 11/05/2017 at 10:21 PM, Maelstrom said:

Fun to build and you can turn them into pretty decent light crawlers with a few mods.

20170311_210256.thumb.jpg.0b4af088ce1111e9dcc329250b832d50.jpg

Where did u get those wheels?

Well I've purchased a jimny. Hopefully by the time It arrives and it's built it will be dry. British summer time 😂🌨🌨🌨🌨🌨

Or you could build it waterproof and enjoy it in the rain?

• Like 2

Ha ha yes no that would be good. What and where would u get waterproof stuff from? Seen a jimny on YouTube nearly submerged in water. Surely the servo , motor and receiver  would die ?

Many waterproof servos and ESCs on the market, brushed motors run submerged without issue, and if your chosen radio manufacturer doesn't offer a waterproof RX, you can always seal it in a balloon.

2 hours ago, Carts said:

Where did u get those wheels?

RC4WD stamped steel 1.55" wheels and Mickey Thompson 1.55" baja MTZ tires. Look good and grip great!

Got both from Tamico.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

RC4WD stamped steel 1.55" wheels and Mickey Thompson 1.55" baja MTZ tires. Look good and grip great!

Got both from Tamico.

Woah! No wonder they look good. I liked the 1.55 landies from RC4WD and those tyres for one of my projects but balked t the price. Almost reconsidering now...

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Got both from Tamico.

Thanks mate

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Many waterproof servos and ESCs on the market, brushed motors run submerged without issue, and if your chosen radio manufacturer doesn't offer a waterproof RX, you can always seal it in a balloon.

Never knew that about the motors. Will check out eBay . Might have be my 2.4 ghz tamiya radio gear set I removed from a xb car I had. 

Carts,

As I said earlier, I did build my wife's MF-01X mostly to XVPilots mod specs but I diverged in some places.  Here's a link to my build thread:

Tips for building your MF-01X to run in really, really wet conditions.

• You can use any brushed motor under water.  Be sure to dry it out and lube after a wet run or it'll eventually rust.  If you plan on running it really wet a lot, I'd stick with silver can or torque tuned motors to lower the replacement costs.  ;)
  • The HobbyWing QuicRun 1060 ESC is submersible.  http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=358
  • The Savox SW-0231MB servo is waterproof.  It's not the fastest servo ever but it's torquey and relatively cheap.  We use on in my son's basher SCT and it's held up for going on a year now with the first 6 months of that on a race track.  http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SW0231MG_STD_Waterproof_Digital_Servo_p/savsw0231mg.htm
  • Put the receiver in a balloon and secure the end with a zip tie.  A little AW grease at the opening might be messy but if you're going under water, it might be worth it...
  • Build with rubber shielded bearings to keep the water out.  Otherwise you'll be cleaning and oiling bearings after every wet run.
  • Avoid using foams in the tires.  They'll absorb the water like a sponge and be a pain to dry out.  Mold is a thing and it'll invade your wheels and tires in no time.

That's everything I can think of.  I'm sure if I missed something the lads here will chime in to back me up.

1 hour ago, Carts said:

Never knew that about the motors. Will check out eBay . Might have be my 2.4 ghz tamiya radio gear set I removed from a xb car I had. 

There is such a thing as a "water break-in" for brushed motors.  Run it fully submerged for like 30 seconds to a minute or so.  I made a video on doing it a while back.  Before I really knew how long to run it under water and ended up running it too long.  Not bad happened.  I just probably wore the brushes more than needed.  There are reasons to water break-in a motor.  It keeps the motor cool during break-in, and it clears out any of the brush dust created during the break-in process.

21 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

Carts,

As I said earlier, I did build my wife's MF-01X mostly to XVPilots mod specs but I diverged in some places.  Here's a link to my build thread:

Tips for building your MF-01X to run in really, really wet conditions.

• You can use any brushed motor under water.  Be sure to dry it out and lube after a wet run or it'll eventually rust.  If you plan on running it really wet a lot, I'd stick with silver can or torque tuned motors to lower the replacement costs.  ;)
  • The HobbyWing QuicRun 1060 ESC is submersible.  http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=358
  • The Savox SW-0231MB servo is waterproof.  It's not the fastest servo ever but it's torquey and relatively cheap.  We use on in my son's basher SCT and it's held up for going on a year now with the first 6 months of that on a race track.  http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SW0231MG_STD_Waterproof_Digital_Servo_p/savsw0231mg.htm
  • Put the receiver in a balloon and secure the end with a zip tie.  A little AW grease at the opening might be messy but if you're going under water, it might be worth it...
  • Build with rubber shielded bearings to keep the water out.  Otherwise you'll be cleaning and oiling bearings after every wet run.
  • Avoid using foams in the tires.  They'll absorb the water like a sponge and be a pain to dry out.  Mold is a thing and it'll invade your wheels and tires in no time.

That's everything I can think of.  I'm sure if I missed something the lads here will chime in to back me up.

Great info