netsmithUK

Chassis Grouping

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/cars_chassis.asp

This is the list of all the chassis types, that in turn links off to models of that type. Can anyone suggest a grouping of them so we end up with a much smaller initial set?

or maybe a set of segments, like on-road and off-road,  based on real car and just as RC etc

Thoughts appreciated. Offers to actually do it for 1600 models even more so ;)

Cheers

Chris

All the M0-1's & M0-2's could be grouped together & go to a new page with a sub-list, same with TA-01's & TA-02's, maybe there are others which are so similar they can be grouped, then sub-grouped ? 

7 references to TT-01 & 5 more for TT-02 could be treated the same way.  

I could group them based on the first couple  letters, but how do I describe that group in a useful way? Something that might mean something to people not really familiar with tamiyas naming convention?

I think this is where the full list of kits came in useful - you could just find your kit in the list and that would give a list of other models sharing the same chassis type.

Maybe something along the lines of

M-01/M-02

TA-01/TA-02

TT-01

TT-02

TB Evolution

5 links, saved about 20 entries on the list.

Maybe wait for some more input ?

Honestly, I dont find it that difficult to use as it is now..

But if you feel the need to condense the list a bit, then I agree that having a group called "TA Chassis" that incluces all variants from TA01 to TA07 would be fine..

Likewise M Chassis (M01 to M06), TB Chassis, FF Chassis, TT Chassis, etc..

TRF Chassis grouping could include anything that had the TRF designation.. Of course there will be a need to cross reference some models eg the TRF TA03R would appear in both the TA Chassis group and in the TRF chassis group..

All of the Tanks could be grouped together, as could the Tractor Trucks and Trailers.. XB's could also form one group if need be.

It all comes down to how few initial groups that you want to have, and then how many sub groups after that.. 

But then what do you do with the cars that dont have a two letter chassis designation, eg. Fox, Egress, Madcap, etc..

thanks for the feedback. The tamiya USA site is interesting.

I'm not really necessarily thinking of changing the chassis page as is, more trying to help people find out which they have, eg if you got an old chassis from some carboot sale and you want to quickly find out what it is, some might have no clue that its a TA01 or a MO something.

No changes imminent, just an idea thats bubbling in the background.

Cheers

Chris

2 hours ago, netsmithUK said:

I'm not really necessarily thinking of changing the chassis page as is, more trying to help people find out which they have, eg if you got an old chassis from some carboot sale and you want to quickly find out what it is, some might have no clue that its a TA01 or a MO something.

If that is your goal, then maybe you could add a thumbnail pic for each chassis type.. ;-)

Seriously though, I think that most people would just put a post on the forum and ask if they couldnt find what chassis they have..