New to the hobby, my first car was the DT-03. After messing about with it on the road I wanted to see how it would do on a forest path. Bad idea! It somehow broke the front left suspension. The small retainer part was lost, thankfully I found the spring. (Hop-up CVA Damper set - part V5 lost). 

I'm wondering what I should do, from my searches online, I could just buy a new complete CVA Damper set, but a friend suggested just get a new set of non-Tamiya shocks. I like the idea, but now I'm not sure what would fit? 

As im a newbie, I've no idea about how strong I need the shocks to be or how it affects speed. Looking for advice, also if I replace the shocks, I'm guessing it would be wise to replace all four.

What do I want to do with it? Nothing serious, I was hoping it would take more of an off road track, but maybe I will stick to roads and the driveway! Not going to race it or anything, it's all stock parts right now. (Was packed with hop-ups mentioned).

Attached a pic of the CVA Damper set. Part missing was the "PAC-MAN" looking part seen on the top row. 

IMG_4675.JPG

Have a look on eBay for 'tamiya damper collar' and see if any match (or I'm guessing someone on here with a tamiya Google brain will be able to give you the part number! 🙄) 

Thanks for the tip, I found a few different ones, I'm guessing if they don't have DT-03 in the description they wont fit right?

For example:

Tamiya (#53334) Low Friction Damper V Parts (Damper Collar)

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-53334-friction-damper-parts-collar-p-16127.html?cPath=595_744_711

Came up, but how can I tell if the dimensions of this will fit my set? There are no measurements or anything to go by - just that number. So I checked it on the Tamiya USA website and again, no real instruction or dimensions or guide to what it would fit? The closest I could get was typing in DT-03 in RC Parts Support and finding 12 items available only, one of which was the entire damper set. So for all other parts, my guess is that they wont fit?

I noticed a forum post where someone had fit Associated B4.1 shocks to their DT-03. But they sell for $60 on the asasociated site, so maybe I'll give that choice a miss...

Quick search suggests you need tamiya 50598 for the spares you need.

I have been through a lot of this as I am new to rc and got a dt03 a few months ago. I found the kit springs way too soft and got the DF03 setting spring set (not a typo, the springs for the 4wd DF03 chassis). I ended up using the middle gold set. Get some good 30wt oil too. Something a little lighter than the tamiya kit stuff. 

There's loads of babble on my car plus part numbers for hop ups in my Build thread

• Like 1

I fitted hobao h2 Pro (basically a clone of the Losi 22) big bore shocks to my dt-03t and they are a lot better than the el cheapo cva 2's that came with the car. They're definitely a lot better and the car handles brilliantly with them. I can't remember what springs I've got fitted at the moment but they're Losi big bore ones and I'm running 35w associated shock oil in the front and 30w associated shock oil in the rear and it's perfect. 

• Like 1

thanks for all the responses - what a great community!

I'm going to head to my local RC shop and see if I can pick up any of these suggestions/parts.

I went to my shop, they mainly stock Traxxas stuff, so I ended up getting this:

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3760A

It JUST fits and means the car looks kinda jacked up in the front. I like the look of it. Gave a quick run around and it seems to be ok.

Need to be pretty exact with the fit though, wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was the only one that fit!

newshocks1.jpg

newshocks2.jpg

newshocks3.jpg

They look quite a bit too long. Try mounting them in the outer (lower) mounting hole at least. If the shocks have a shorter eyelet end option with them pop that on. The cva are 70mm eye to eye.

Cool paint job by the way.

They are way too long and fully extended. This has been a good lesson for me. I never really considered the weight of the car on the shocks, so they should be sitting comfortably halfway (?) on the shock. 

If I mount them on the lower/outer mounting hole, the spring catches. Either way, it's the same issue. I need to take them back. Bit disappointed with the shop selling them to me in the first place really. I obviously have no idea what I'm doing at this stage. 

Back to square one, makes me see a good reason for investing in a 3D printer though...

Thanks for your help, really appreciated. 

If you're into 3D printing then check out Shapeways.com. I have modelled up replacement front shock mounts for my Thunder Dragon and got them from there. 

On 2017-5-17 at 5:08 PM, Draefilk said:

Back to square one, makes me see a good reason for investing in a 3D printer though...

3D printing sounds like fun, but just ordering a replacement Tamiya part 50598 is a lot cheaper and less hassle. You get two of the "PAC-MAN" pieces, so you'll have a spare in case it happens again. Here is a link:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=50598

(These fit the front shocks supplied with the DT-03 CVA shock set, which are "Mini CVAs". The rear "Short CVA" shocks are wider and need Tamiya part 50950.)

Nice! Thanks for the link, but I chatted to a friend who is into 3D printing and found the .stl file on thingiverse. 

Just got the print today, check it out!

IMG_4746.thumb.JPG.5f18385f2fffff35dbc73a5a84224d45.JPG

• Like 4