Sign in to follow this  
Wal.d

Lunchbox 5th shock

What do people think of the 5th shock for the lunchbox ?? . It makes no odds because I have done it today with bits I had. Just not tested it yet. I only did it because the weather was so bad today ,though I better use my time some how.  New shocks on the way for the rest of the shocks.  Can't  wait to use it when all finished 

1 hour ago, Wal.d said:

What do people think of the 5th shock for the lunchbox ?? . It makes no odds because I have done it today with bits I had. Just not tested it yet. I only did it because the weather was so bad today ,though I better use my time some how.  New shocks on the way for the rest of the shocks.  Can't  wait to use it when all finished 

Engineering wise looks a good idea to me, provides lateral pivot and limits the axle tramp.  I've not done it as mine is a complete stocker - my only stocker :-)

It helps but its not a total cure. The 5th shock prevents the unwanted windup of the axle on the front side. However, on acceleration, the shocks themselves are still pulled downward to full extension on the backside. The only real way to remedy the situation is to move the shocks out of the rotational plane altogether (in addition to preventing axle windup, i.e. 5th shock) The Tamiya Madbull is perhaps the best example of this while still using a gearbox at least somewhat similar to the Lunch Box's. The Madbull's rear suspension works much better than the Lunchie's.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

It helps but its not a total cure. The 5th shock prevents the unwanted windup of the axle on the front side. However, on acceleration, the shocks themselves are still pulled downward to full extension on the backside. The only real way to remedy the situation is to move the shocks out of the rotational plane altogether (in addition to preventing axle windup, i.e. 5th shock) The Tamiya Madbull is perhaps the best example of this while still using a gearbox at least somewhat similar to the Lunch Box's. The Madbull's rear suspension works much better than the Lunchie's.

Credit the original Fighter Buggy RX  =P

Get this guy instead and be done with it!!! works great!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G72GAY3NL/w01002-01-tamiya-cw01-lunchbox-pumpkin-montero-uni?optionId=59473027

• Like 1

I like my 5th shock. I re did it when I replaced my gearbox last time. It seems to have mellowed out the rear end a lot.. 

I will say that you have to be careful not to cut too deep or you'll open the gearbox to dirt and debris to sneak in through where the shock attaches.

• Like 1

I daresay I'd prefer the Ampro/Shapeways option if I was to ever get a Lunch Box. It replicates the DT-01 approach very nicely, locking out vertical movement at the front of the gearbox while still allowing it to twist. My mate has them fitted to his Hornets, which behave much like my Mad Bull at the rear as a result.

The DT-01 is definitely a big improvement in terms if handling, it's far from the last word in sophistication but it doesn't end up on it's roof anywhere near as often as the older solid axle vehicles and I find that makes them more fun to drive. The Ampro option is very neat and simple but does the job just as well if not better than a 5th shock mod.

If you want to make a hopper/lunchbox chassis handle better then the DT-01 chassis is a good first place to look for inspiration, central pivot to stop the box smacking up at the front, extreme shock angle to prevent them being pulled open under power, and weight, in this case the battery positioned in such a way that it engourages the rear shocks to work.

I have a little Mauri Ninja FD (equal to Tamiya QD) and it has the same ball joint as the DT-01, the thing can drive circles around my stock grasshopper even with a brushless motor in it. Such a simple design element goes such a long way.

23 hours ago, iluvmud said:

Credit the original Fighter Buggy RX  =P

I probably should have used the chassis designation DT01 to avoid any confusion. But, if we really want to nit-pick, credit actually goes to the Rookie Rabbit and not the Fighter Buggy RX for this suspension design. The Rookie Rabbit predates the Fighter Buggy RX by several years for being the first in the DT01 series.

33 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I probably should have used the chassis designation DT01 to avoid any confusion. But, if we really want to nit-pick, credit actually goes to the Rookie Rabbit and not the Fighter Buggy RX for this suspension design. The Rookie Rabbit predates the Fighter Buggy RX by several years for being the first in the DT01 series.

Yes... this is true but I never include rtr kits... lol ultimately you are right though