Sign in to follow this  
SNAKEBITE

Rising Fighter Suspension Mods

(All being well I should have pictures linked to Photobucket!)

After ruining the suspension on my sons Rising Fighter I researched the modifications possible and copied what I saw as being the best.

It was a first for me as I drew up the parts in Inventor, a 3D modelling software programme we have at work and then 3D printed these parts off.

Technology is moving on and I needed to catch up. I can draw up anything by hand and machine it in the toolroom but was losing pace on the new technology available.

I did feel a bit guilty about stealing Ampro's design but at £25 a go I figured I'd try it myself.

20170519_0933321.jpg

20170519_0933441.jpg

20170519_0933581.jpg

• Like 2

Hah! I know that type of Dell keyboard from my old workplace. :D

By the way that part you made looks pretty shiny. Did you polish it?

Not polished.

It came up a little rough, but this was a prototype so I wasn't going to waste time if it wasn't any good.

Not tested it yet, but printing a thicker cross brace as we speak because I think this one will break around the suspension mounts. I split it putting the screw in, so tapped it out and put a mc screw in instead.

I'll swap it out on Monday, it's got another 3 hours printing and I'm off in a minute!

To be honest it's a runner not a shelf car so I'll doubt I'll polish it anyway!

Even unpolished it looks way better than the Shapeways stuff I've seen. How does the material compare strength wise?

• Like 1

@TurnipJF 

I have yet to run it so cannot comment fully. I have made it as strong as possible from a design point of view, and don't foresee any issues, and could always tweak them out in any future designs.

@i_am_scarecrow 

Because I make them at work, costing me nothing, I would not want to sell them. However I would be happy to make the odd set up and pass them on as a favour. As far as I'm concerned that's what it is all about.

• Like 2